++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 24, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #18,302 of 29,490
Looking for recommendations for $350-$450 headphones! Here's what I'm looking for:

- Can be open or closed, no preference for any
- My listening genres mainly consists of Anime, J-pop/rock, instrumentals, soundtracks, and some electronic (For example: Hatsune Miku, and etc.)
- Will be mainly used for the desktop computer (listening to music alot, watching stuff and some gaming)
- I mainly use .mp3 files along with Foobar and iTunes, and sometimes FLAC
- Headphones will be connected to an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard

Still a bit new to the audiophile stuff but I'd love to hear some recommendations for good headphones at this price! Thanks in advance~

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #18,303 of 29,490
Quote:
Have you read the gaming guide that is linked in the opening post of this thread?

BTW:

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

I have seen the guide, and like many other sources it leads me to believe the AD700 would be a great choice, but it didn't happen to mention some of the other options I've been looking at (particularly the KRK 8400 and HM5).

I most likely won't be using an amp, at least for now. Thinking of picking up a xonar dg sound card to use from my desktop.

Most of the sound going into these will probably be coming from games and online streaming sites like youtube.

Since I'm mainly looking for something to game with, I'm more concerned about sound stage than sound signature, but I would say neutral is optimal. If there was one thing I'd like to avoid, it's something that's overly "bassy." Some bass is good, but I definitely don't want it thumping in my ears taking priority over the other ranges.

For music, I listen to more rock and pop than anything else.

I plan on using these exclusively at home.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #18,304 of 29,490
Quote:
I have seen the guide, and like many other sources it leads me to believe the AD700 would be a great choice, but it didn't happen to mention some of the other options I've been looking at (particularly the KRK 8400 and HM5).

I most likely won't be using an amp, at least for now. Thinking of picking up a xonar dg sound card to use from my desktop.

Most of the sound going into these will probably be coming from games and online streaming sites like youtube.

Since I'm mainly looking for something to game with, I'm more concerned about sound stage than sound signature, but I would say neutral is optimal. If there was one thing I'd like to avoid, it's something that's overly "bassy." Some bass is good, but I definitely don't want it thumping in my ears taking priority over the other ranges.

For music, I listen to more rock and pop than anything else.

I plan on using these exclusively at home.

Closed cans almost never have even nearly the sound stage as open can in the same price/quality range.  I realize that a number of folks have praised the sound stage of the KRK (usually the 6400) and the HM5, but the truth is that they are only good when compared to other closed cans (and maybe the greater open Grado SR line).  Between the two, the KRK is the better can, including for sound stage.

The AD700 will give you a better sound stage than the two mentioned closed cans, but it is bass light--even for non-bassheads.  It is a good buy at about $90, which is its current price at Amazon. 

The Senn HD 518, 558 & 598 are better choices--especially for gaming.  Get the most expensive one that fits into you budget.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #18,305 of 29,490
Well, I have misplaced my Yuin PK2. I am looking at the OK3. Has anyone compared them? I like substantial bass that isn't muddled and will be using it with my iPod and a FiiO E3.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #18,306 of 29,490
Quote:
Well, I have misplaced my Yuin PK2. I am looking at the OK3. Has anyone compared them? I like substantial bass that isn't muddled and will be using it with my iPod and a FiiO E3.

You appear to be in the wrong section of the forum.  This one is for full sized headphones.

Aug 24, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #18,307 of 29,490
Quote:
Closed cans almost never have even nearly the sound stage as open can in the same price/quality range.  I realize that a number of folks have praised the sound stage of the KRK (usually the 6400) and the HM5, but the truth is that they are only good when compared to other closed cans (and maybe the greater open Grado SR line).  Between the two, the KRK is the better can, including for sound stage.

The AD700 will give you a better sound stage than the two mentioned closed cans, but it is bass light--even for non-bassheads.  It is a good buy at about $90, which is its current price at Amazon. 

The Senn HD 518, 558 & 598 are better choices--especially for gaming.  Get the most expensive one that fits into you budget.

I'll definitely look into those Senns. Thanks for the advice.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #18,308 of 29,490
What is the difference between the Superlux HD661 and 662 (regular no
b or f) Im going to order on of these. I will use them mainly for gaming and music. Which is
better? If i look at the fr graphs I guess the 662 has more bass. Am I right?

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #18,309 of 29,490
hi

I'm buying headphones for home music production (electronic dance music) purposes in price range to around 140€. What I expect from cans:
- Natural and tight bass. Exaggerated/boxy/reverbed bass is a no go."That thing", when you can hear bass sounding good even on low levels.
- Big sound stage. I want that "in your face" sound, not something thin without life
-no piercing highs please
-doesn't matter if semi-open/closed, maybe even better if semi-open because usually they seem to be more lightweight and don't press hard against head

[size=10.5pt]Which would you recommend?[/size]

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #18,310 of 29,490
Hi Head-Fi Community,

Im looking for a Headphone and i cant decide wich one to buy...

I will use the Headphone to workout so i need a very strong and durable model,and for this i prefer with the option to replace the output cable because my last one broke when the cable trapped in a weight...

I listen a little bit to all kinds of music(reggae,rock,pop...)BUT im addictive to Trance,Progressive Trance,House,Electronic...

My budget is 100-200.
I have some models in mind:

Ultrasone Hifi-780s 
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Ultrasone Hifi-580

*Sorry for the English mistakes 
biggrin.gif

Thank you very much!

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #18,311 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi Head-Fi Community,

Im looking for a Headphone and i cant decide wich one to buy...

I will use the Headphone to workout so i need a very strong and durable model,and for this i prefer with the option to replace the output cable because my last one broke when the cable jam in a weight...

I listen a little bit to all kinds of music(reggae,rock,pop...)BUT im addictive to Trance,Progressive Trance,House,Electronic...

My budget is 100-200.
I have some models in mind:

Ultrasone Hifi-780s 
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Ultrasone Hifi-580

*Sorry for the English mistakes 
biggrin.gif

Thank you very much!

Hey,

The Audio Technica ath m50 is not a terrible choice, but Ultrasone HFI 580 and 780 are much better headphones imo. The 580 and 780 comes down to preference (I own the 580). If you like a Vshaped frequency with tons of bass, sparkly highs and recessed mids, 580 is for you. If you like very bright highs, forward mids, and not too much bass, but enough bass, then the 780 is for you. 580 is much more fun.

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #18,312 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey,

The Audio Technica ath m50 is not a terrible choice, but Ultrasone HFI 580 and 780 are much better headphones imo. The 580 and 780 comes down to preference (I own the 580). If you like a Vshaped frequency with tons of bass, sparkly highs and recessed mids, 580 is for you. If you like very bright highs, forward mids, and not too much bass, but enough bass, then the 780 is for you. 580 is much more fun.

Thank you for your replie so now i have to decied between Hifi 580 and 780...wich one is more vocal???

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #18,314 of 29,490
hi ppl :) i have a question - i own now panasonic rp-htf600s that is connected to my creative x-fi titanium hd and i am more or less happy :) so is there any sense to buy Fostex T50RP (99$) or ultrasone hfi 580 (120$) or something else in that price range? mainly i am listening to electronic music plus some movies and some gaming, please note that before panasonic i owned shure srh840 but i have sold it due there was no bass "at all" except that those headphones were amazing. any kind of advise would be very much helpful for me indeed, my max budget would be 150 us $  thanx a lot !!! :)

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back