++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #18,241 of 29,490
Headphones that are "open" would mean that sound leaks out (but you'll generally get a bigger soundstage). "Closed" would mean the sound is kept in, and would probably be better for portable use. 

The quality of them being closed/open shouldn't have an effect on comfort.

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #18,242 of 29,490
Quote:
My concern for the 580 is that they'd have too much bass, I wasn't a fan of the Dt770s but I heard the pro editions, I'm not sure how the 32 sounds different from them. The hd 25 would be good for portable, but I didn't feel like they were an improvement over the M50s, they lacked in certain areas.

Files are typically mp3 320 kbps, or .flac. This feeds into a grubdac which goes to a cmoy I built. The computer is a 2008 macbook pro. I also have a record player that I listen to on the weekends, and that has a pre-amp, that I need to get the model of, cannot remember off the top of my head. That goes into the cmoy as well. I'd be willing to get a new amp and DAC. This setup would be for home use; I am more than happy with my M50s or a pair of mediocre earbuds for portable use.

Wasn't a fan of the the HD 650, they were way too dark for the music I was listening to and at no point did I feel enveloped in sound. I feel like I would like the sennheisers if I did buy them, but I'd need to give them a lot of time.

Your ears and subsequent tastes seem to be close to mine.  I think the DT 880s 600 or 250 ohm may work well but you do have to tame the upward tilt starting at around 6k and peaking at 10k.  The harshness many hear in this area is due to poor dac or source material.  Using true lossless files eliminates one of the variables and should result in smoother more open high end.  And then there is the dac.  Many folks use low cost dacs with their computer setups and go off and buy really revealing cans like AKG, Beyer, etc.  These lower cost dacs, expecially when using low cost USB implementations, are thin, bright, and fatiguing in the high end. 

The solution is you have to spend more $ on the dac if you want to use cans that are revealing in the high end.  At a minimum something like the HRT Headstreamer or other good async usb dacs.  Another possible solution is to try a USB/ SPDIF bridge to get clean, very low jitter out of the computer and out to a dac that accepts coax spdif (grubdac)

There are lots of good advancements coming to the market and many are reasonably priced.  It is kind of like the old days of vinyl.  You never build a system with a poor cartridge and table, pay a bit more attention there and things get a lot better downstream.

cheers

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #18,243 of 29,490
Hello, 
Recently my mic broke, so I decided to switch to a headphone + mic combination. I use the headphone for: movies, music (mainstream, pop), games. Because I never have had "really" good headphones, earphones or speakers I am not so demanding. A headset of 20-30 euro will be an enormous step forward I think. 
I'll be probably using the Zalman ZM Mic1http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-MIC1/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345659147&sr=8-1

I'm not so sure what headphones to pick, these seem to be good according to reviews:
- Sennheiser 202 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-202-Closed-Headphone/dp/B003LPTAYI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?   s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1345659056&sr=1-1-catcorr    These are alot cheaper here in Holland. If i'm right these have better bass then the 201's and overall they sound a little bit better. 

- Superlux 681 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superlux-HD681-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1345659334&sr=1-1-catcorr I've read sooo many good things about these headphones. But there is one problem, leaking of sound. This headphones are semi open so i think there will be some leaking. I'll definetely will be using this in public. Is the leaking acceptable? 

When the 681 leaks too much I can spend a little bit extra to get the Superlux 661 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superlux-HD661-Closed-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0062OOFAY/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1345659459&sr=1-1
haven't found any reviews of this one. But its closed, if its worth it i can spend a little bit extra to get these.

Which of these is the best? Or are there any other good headphones? I hope you can give me advice, thanks in advance.

-Wdbs (From Holland)

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #18,244 of 29,490
Quote:
Any headphones in the $100-200 price range, open or closed, fun to listen to, doesn't lack bass, no amps required. I am not an audiophile. Just bought the sen hd 380 pro a week ago and I hate it. Its pretty dull and boring and I prefer my apple earbuds over it. Something that may amaze me coming from the regular apple earbuds. thanks :)

In order of most bass to some additional bass:

M50 (but has recessed mids)
Ultrasone HiFi 780
Shure SRH 840 (mid bass hump)

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #18,245 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, 
Recently my mic broke, so I decided to switch to a headphone + mic combination. I use the headphone for: movies, music (mainstream, pop), games. Because I never have had "really" good headphones, earphones or speakers I am not so demanding. A headset of 20-30 euro will be an enormous step forward I think. 
I'll be probably using the Zalman ZM Mic1http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-MIC1/dp/B00029MTMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345659147&sr=8-1

I'm not so sure what headphones to pick, these seem to be good according to reviews:
- Sennheiser 202 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD-202-Closed-Headphone/dp/B003LPTAYI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?   s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1345659056&sr=1-1-catcorr    These are alot cheaper here in Holland. If i'm right these have better bass then the 201's and overall they sound a little bit better. 

- Superlux 681 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superlux-HD681-Headphones/dp/B002GHIPYI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1345659334&sr=1-1-catcorr I've read sooo many good things about these headphones. But there is one problem, leaking of sound. This headphones are semi open so i think there will be some leaking. I'll definetely will be using this in public. Is the leaking acceptable? 

When the 681 leaks too much I can spend a little bit extra to get the Superlux 661 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superlux-HD661-Closed-Circumaural-Headphones/dp/B0062OOFAY/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1345659459&sr=1-1
haven't found any reviews of this one. But its closed, if its worth it i can spend a little bit extra to get these.

Which of these is the best? Or are there any other good headphones? I hope you can give me advice, thanks in advance.

-Wdbs (From Holland)

The 661 will be much better than the 202. If you can spend the extra money then do it. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #18,246 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, 

-Wdbs (From Holland)

With sound leakage being a problem the superlux 661 will be the best on your short list I personaly havent heard them but superlux's get great love here on HeadFi they are however considered very Bright.
  Ihave heard the sennheiser hd 201and 202's but i didnt really care for them much at all as they sounded too dark for my taste.

I would however highly recccomend the Panasonic RP-HTX-7 as they are by far superior to the Senn's and they are dirt cheap.
IMO i dont think you will get better SQ for the price
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-RP-HTX7AE-K-Retro-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004UDTM1Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345665562&sr=1-1

Hope That Helps
darthsmile.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #18,247 of 29,490
Hi guys, I'm heading to B&H in New York soon to try out some headphones. I need a pair of closed headphones for travel use. They don't have to be 'portable' though, full-size is fine. Portable is just a bonus I guess.

I listen to a wide range of music (metal, classical, movie/video game soundtracks, random techno...basically anything except rap and country) but far above all else I want 'extreme metal' (Nile in particular) and Metallica (old and new) to sound great.

I was set on getting a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs after doing a lot of research on this forum, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I should try while I'm in the store.

If the HD25s are my best bet and there are no other recommendations for me to try out, I might even just order the HD25s from amazon in the next few days (I almost did a while ago, but waited) as they are $50 cheaper there.

Thanks!

edit: I will be using a Sansa fuze and clip+.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #18,248 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm heading to B&H in New York soon to try out some headphones. I need a pair of closed headphones for travel use. They don't have to be 'portable' though, full-size is fine. Portable is just a bonus I guess.

I listen to a wide range of music (metal, classical, movie/video game soundtracks, random techno...basically anything except rap and country) but far above all else I want 'extreme metal' (Nile in particular) and Metallica (old and new) to sound great.

I was set on getting a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs after doing a lot of research on this forum, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I should try while I'm in the store.

If the HD25s are my best bet and there are no other recommendations for me to try out, I might even just order the HD25s from amazon in the next few days (I almost did a while ago, but waited) as they are $50 cheaper there.

Thanks!

edit: I will be using a Sansa fuze and clip+.

For about $85 less from Amazon shipped, you can get the KRK KNS 8400.  Or for more bass--in the form of a mid bass hump--and with more cash (but still substantially before the Senn) you can select the Shure SRH 840.  Both are reasonably good on the go.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #18,249 of 29,490
Quote:
For about $85 less from Amazon shipped, you can get the KRK KNS 8400.  Or for more bass--in the form of a mid bass hump--and with more cash (but still substantially before the Senn) you can select the Shure SRH 840.  Both are reasonably good on the go.

I really do enjoy my SRH 840s. They are my favorite durable pair for portable use. I bought a pair of KNS 8400s for my friend, and so I can compare them in a week or so. When I was deciding between the HD 25 and the SRH 840s, I went with the 840s because it has a detachable cord. (Another friend broke the cord a few months ago, and I was happy that all I needed to do was get another cord. Had I had the HD 25's, they would be unusable).

Good luck in your decision.

-----

I am looking for an open pair to complement my SRH 840s. Any suggestions? My budget is around $300.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #18,251 of 29,490
Hi. I know I posted on this thread before but I have since changed my budget. I was wondering what would be good headphones for listening to artists like Chevelle, Incubus, Tool, Rise Against, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd. I also listen to the Glitch Mob, Daft Punk, and the Besastie Boys. I wouldn't mind either open or closed headphones and they would be used at home.. If they are fine for gaming or they are portable that would be a plus. I am trying to keep it under $150, but if its worth it I may extend to a higher price. I am also wondering if getting two cheaper headphones ( Like the sr60i for Rock and the Sony XB500s for house or hip-hop) would be beneficial over one pair in my case.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #18,252 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi. I know I posted on this thread before but I have since changed my budget. I was wondering what would be good headphones for listening to artists like Chevelle, Incubus, Tool, Rise Against, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd. I also listen to the Glitch Mob, Daft Punk, and the Besastie Boys. I wouldn't mind either open or closed headphones and they would be used at home.. If they are fine for gaming or they are portable that would be a plus. I am trying to keep it under $150, but if its worth it I may extend to a higher price. I am also wondering if getting two cheaper headphones ( Like the sr60i for Rock and the Sony XB500s for house or hip-hop) would be beneficial over one pair in my case.

At $150 for what you want, you will have to compromise.  That includes the two headphone option, as neither of those are any good for gaming and only one can be used in public.

Given what you want, I would go with the Shure SRH 840.  Second choice would be your two headphone option.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #18,253 of 29,490
Quote:

Exactly what do mean by "complement".

I am not sure how to explain it really. I borrowed my friend's HD 555s and they sounded quite a bit different from my headphones, even from the same iPod and amp. I feel like maybe because they are open that they had a better soundstage and were more vibrant. I want a pair that has a better soundstage than my SRH 840s and can keep up with energetic music. I felt like the 840s are great, but I want more, haha.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #18,254 of 29,490
Quote:

I am not sure how to explain it really. I borrowed my friend's HD 555s and they sounded quite a bit different from my headphones, even from the same iPod and amp. I feel like maybe because they are open that they had a better soundstage and were more vibrant. I want a pair that has a better soundstage than my SRH 840s and can keep up with energetic music. I felt like the 840s are great, but I want more, haha.

Option #1:  The World of Grado with the Grado SR 125i or Alesandro MS1i.  These are in your face rock and electric blues cans.

Option #2:  Ultrasone HiFi 780: bright + bass (but not to basshead levels)

Option #3: Sennheiser HD 518: entry level to the great Senn open audiophile cans.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #18,255 of 29,490
With sound leakage being a problem the superlux 661 will be the best on your short list I personaly havent heard them but superlux's get great love here on HeadFi they are however considered very Bright.
  Ihave heard the sennheiser hd 201and 202's but i didnt really care for them much at all as they sounded too dark for my taste.

I would however highly recccomend the Panasonic RP-HTX-7 as they are by far superior to the Senn's and they are dirt cheap.
IMO i dont think you will get better SQ for the price
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-RP-HTX7AE-K-Retro-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004UDTM1Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345665562&sr=1-1
ir

Hope That Helps:darthsmile:

Do the 661 have a good bass? That's nice for gaming. I think im just going to order the 661. Haven't had ANY experiences with headphones so far, so they will always sound great.

The Panasonics are a bit out of my budget, but thanks for the suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back