++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 22, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #18,226 of 29,490
Quote:
The M50's are a poor choice for classical and instrumental music.  The have a "V" shaped sound signature--which means they have recessed mids.  The Shure SRH 840 is a better choice at covering the genres you enjoy.  Even with the mid-bass hump of the Shure, you'll give up some overemphasized bass, but more than make it up with superior mids.

BTW: the Shure has a replaceable cable that the M50 does not have.

What makes the audio technica such good headphones? its like number three despite the 1000 dollar headphones

Edit: can i micmod the shure? i might end up wanting to use mic. if i have an extra headphone cable with a mic is it possible to plug it into the shure and use the mic?

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #18,227 of 29,490
Quote:
What makes the audio technica such good headphones? its like number three despite the 1000 dollar headphones

It's not that good.  [It's not a bad headphone either.] Don't take the numbers literally or too seriously.  In the case of the M50, it's more a popularity poll, based in large part on it's original price and the absence (and/or higher original pricing) of some of its most impressive current competitors.  But perhaps most importantly it's a headphone that emphasizes bass beyond neutral, which is a very popular sound signature for many in recent years.

The Shure SRH 840 and KRK KNS 8400 are both better and more accurate cans for reproducing what is laid down in a quality recording.  They both have more features/better kit too. 

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #18,230 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm currently using broken ATH-M50's and looking for a replacement.

Open or closed doesn't really matter to me, I've tried both AD-700's and M50's and didn't have a problem with either.

I listen to basically every kind of music; rock, trance, 'melodic' dubstep, tv/video game/movie soundtracks, classical to name the more prominent. These would also be for heavy gaming as well

I'm in by no means a basshead at all, I'd say I'm more of a mid guy, with highs close behind. I didn't mind one bit listening to bass heavy music on my AD-700's.

I'd say I'm looking for a balanced sound (priority: amazing mids and highs) because of this, the bass could even be a bit recessed, as I mentioned I found the ATH-AD700's perfectly fine in terms of bass.

Budget, 100-200.

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #18,231 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

Open or closed doesn't really matter to me, I've tried both AD-700's and M50's and didn't have a problem with either.

I listen to basically every kind of music; rock, trance, 'melodic' dubstep, tv/video game/movie soundtracks, classical to name the more prominent. These would also be for heavy gaming as well

I'm in by no means a basshead at all, I'd say I'm more of a mid guy, with highs close behind. I didn't mind one bit listening to bass heavy music on my AD-700's.

I'd say I'm looking for a balanced sound (priority: amazing mids and highs) because of this, the bass could even be a bit recessed, as I mentioned I found the ATH-AD700's perfectly fine in terms of bass.

Budget, 100-200.

Senn HD 558.

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #18,232 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

Budget, 100-200.

You may enjoy Sennheiser as they will do well for most genres and are also nice for movies/games. Look at the Sennheiser HD558

Edit: didn't refresh my page to see KGJag's comment, but obviously we both had the same idea

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #18,233 of 29,490
Quote:
Why the 750's over the 900's. I thought they are similar sounding with a slight advantage to the 900's. If the 750's will do the job I just assume I'd get them and save a few bucks.

The 900's have a more bass heavy signature to the point that they are basshead cans.  Good basshead cans, but basshead cans none-the-less.

The sound signature of the of the 750, while not neutral, is more in balance and not so bass heavy.

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #18,234 of 29,490
Quote:
You may enjoy Sennheiser as they will do well for most genres and are also nice for movies/games. Look at the Sennheiser HD558

Edit: didn't refresh my page to see KGJag's comment, but obviously we both had the same idea

Thanks for the suggestion, both of you.

After borrowing my friends M50's and listening to them again, I think I could best describe what I am looking for is basically something similar to the M50's except with less recessed mids and perhaps a tad less bass, but I don't mind it regardless. I'm going to try on some 558's tomorrow and see how they sound.

If anyone happens to have any other suggestions, feel free to post em. I'm fine with open or closed, slight preference for open but again, doesn't matter.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #18,235 of 29,490
I have a G35 Logitech wireless headphones that was a gift, and apparently while watching a bluray with LFE the sounds didn't make it - that part was horrible.

So I'm looking for a set of similar headphone to it. I am 100% new to this, but for the past few hours, I have been reading up, and would like some recommendations based these information:

Using it on my desktop mostly, *maybe* PS3. Not portable devices.
Will be using it for bluray movies/tv shows and some light music/gaming.
Have a Auzentech HomeTheater sound card
Preferably closed can like G35 since there is someone sleeping just 3m/10ft away from me, but would like suggestions for open as well.
Preferably wireless - but I hear those audio quality suck a lot?
Preferably no amp required (or you can suggest one for me, or I might get E17 if needed).
Preferably no DAC required (actually I have no idea what it is for, and why we even need an dac or amp)
Nothing over $350!

If any information is missing tell me!

Hopefully you guys can give me some suggestions and reasons why it is preferable (or not).. I would appreciate it!

edit: after more research it seems like I am leaning towards HD 598, but too bad it's open, and outside sounds will leak in. Are there any other closed phones that is similar with the HD598?

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #18,236 of 29,490
Hi everyone! I was hoping you could give me some ideas for a headset that sounds good for gaming and music. I'm putting together a new pc and its going to include an "ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card"

I have heard it's a great card for sound but having a great card is no good with out quality speakers/ headphones! I am currently using onboard sound and a  Logitech H530 so I am looking for an improvement over that

Price Range: Preferably 150 or less but if you know of something that will be noticeably superior around 200 I will consider it.
Primary Purpose: Gaming, Music
Secondary: Movies, Tv series
Preference: Open or closed
Files: mp3, oog, aiff, ac3, and what ever else. I don't discriminate much on files

Music tastes: Mainly Techno, Rock, New Age, Dark wave/industrial, Celtic but I listen to just about anything.
thank you all for any advice you may be able to give! My usual forum is more overclock focused and there's not much activity on the sound forums.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #18,237 of 29,490
Any headphones in the $100-200 price range, open or closed, fun to listen to, doesn't lack bass, no amps required. I am not an audiophile. Just bought the sen hd 380 pro a week ago and I hate it. Its pretty dull and boring and I prefer my apple earbuds over it. Something that may amaze me coming from the regular apple earbuds. thanks :)

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #18,238 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone! I was hoping you could give me some ideas for a headset that sounds good for gaming and music. I'm putting together a new pc and its going to include an "ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card"

I have heard it's a great card for sound but having a great card is no good with out quality speakers/ headphones! I am currently using onboard sound and a  Logitech H530 so I am looking for an improvement over that

Price Range: Preferably 150 or less but if you know of something that will be noticeably superior around 200 I will consider it.
Primary Purpose: Gaming, Music
Secondary: Movies, Tv series
Preference: Open or closed
Files: mp3, oog, aiff, ac3, and what ever else. I don't discriminate much on files

Music tastes: Mainly Techno, Rock, New Age, Dark wave/industrial, Celtic but I listen to just about anything.
thank you all for any advice you may be able to give! My usual forum is more overclock focused and there's not much activity on the sound forums.

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones (open), full bass & full treble.
new $180, used $160.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #18,239 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, both of you.

After borrowing my friends M50's and listening to them again, I think I could best describe what I am looking for is basically something similar to the M50's except with less recessed mids and perhaps a tad less bass, but I don't mind it regardless. I'm going to try on some 558's tomorrow and see how they sound.

If anyone happens to have any other suggestions, feel free to post em. I'm fine with open or closed, slight preference for open but again, doesn't matter.

In that case you may also want to look at the Shure 840 too

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #18,240 of 29,490
Hi - I'm considering to get a V-Moda M80 for portable use.

I tend to find closed headphones in general uncomfortable for me - is it the air pressure due to little air flowing in/out? I'm not sure what it's generally called.

Moving on, I read that the V-Moda M80's are semi-open. Is anyone aware if they give the same feeling on the ear that a closed headphones would? Or do they feel more open due to the "vents" at the side allowing a little airflow?

Any help is much appreciated, Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back