++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #18,198 of 29,490
Does anyone know if it's true that the HARX700 and HTF600 use the same drivers? Or is that just internet rumorism?

Quote:
actually, while dre himself doesnt wear beats 100% of the time, he DOES wear beats. the above photo was taken before he even completed his designs. note that it took him 2 years of testing with over 300 prototypes before he came out with the first lines of beats. and has since then perfected his designs even more. this picture is older than 2 years.

LOL. I don't really see how a guy who probably knows nothing about electronics engineering wearing headphones with his own name on them means anything either way.

"Testing" for him probably just meant telling people who know what they're doing which ones were his favorite.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #18,199 of 29,490
I was recently out and about and ran across a pair of HD 380's for a good price, so I bought them.   I did not know much about them and since I had no opportunity to listen to them prior to buying them I just took a chance on the Sennheiser name and picked them up.  I have been listening to them for the past couple days and have had mixed reactions, sometimes they sound just phenomenal but at other times I find myself wanting for "more".  I wish I could quantify what I mean but I am not really sure myself.   In my simple world I think the soundstage is pretty impressive for closed back phones and the mids and trebles are up front and sound great.  Sometimes the bass seems subdued and can get lost in the mix.  This may be a result of them being balanced. 

I do not have a ton of experience with headhphones.  Besides the Senn's I have a pair of Sony MDR-6 phones that I use at home for Studio work.  I do find the Senn's to be a step up but I have to admit that the less than outstanding reviews and comments I have seen regarding the Senn's make me wonder if I should return them and look for something else instead.  

So, I am into the Senn's for a bit less than $150 and with that in mind would like to stay in the $150-$200 range.  The purpose of these phones is to be used in the office, meaning that I need something portable that can be shuffled back and forth every day without to much fuss.  I also would prefer closed back phones just to avoid any issues with complaining co-workers.  For an audio source I am using Google Music and my Android phone.  I understand the the streaming from Google is 320kBps so my audio source is pretty good, the phone is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus which is supposed to be pretty decent too although if I can find a decent amp with a DAC that works with my phone (and uses line out instead of the headphone jack, anyone know of any?) I would probably pick that up too. 

I have read tons of reviews and looked at phones from $75-$400 and feel just as lost as when I started.   Left to my own devices I would likely order a pair of the ATH-M50s phones and be done with it but part of me thinks that it might be a step down from the Senn's, or maybe a lateral step.  I just don't know and I have not been able to find a place to audition phones other than Best Buy and their selection is limited.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.  I appreciate any feedback or opinions.

Thanks!
-gl

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #18,200 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are good for a lot of music genres with a tight bass that has a decent punch and mids that aren't recessed nor forward. Budget is around $200 to $300 and comfort and isolation are pretty important to me.

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #18,201 of 29,490
Quote:
What's the differences between Superlux hd668b and Samson sr850?

and What do you think about "Takstar"?

thanks for your replies

The Superlux and the Sampson are the same can except for the frame--including how they are designed to fit on your head.

Don't know about the Takstar.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #18,202 of 29,490
Quote:
needing a new headphone....the lcd2.2 is just uncomfortable to me for long term use....

Music i listen to is :
-30% rock (radiohead, muse, coldplay etc etc)
-10% post rock, progressive (porcupine tree, dream theatre, pink floyd)
-10% jazz vocal and instrumental
-10% lounge and dance
-10% live music
-5% movie soundtrack
-10% audiophille vocal tracks and acoustic
-15% new age (yanni, chris spheeris)
-No classical, metal, and old recordings

Would the w3000anv suit my needs? Or should i stay with the lcd2.2 or denon d7000? or any other choices below $1200

However, my current dac/amp is just a centrance dacmini.....

Would the centrance dacmini (10ohm) be suitable for the w3000anv? Or do i need another amp? Thanks for the advice.

Take a look at the Beyerdynamic T1 Tesla.  Other planars such as the HE-500 if probably too heavy for you.

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #18,203 of 29,490
Hi everyone! I was hoping you could give me some ideas for a headset that sounds good for gaming and music. I'm putting together a new pc and its going to include an "ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card"

I have heard it's a great card for sound but having a great card is no good with out quality speakers/ headphones! I am currently using onboard sound and a  Logitech H530 so I am looking for an improvement over that

Price Range: Preferably 150 or less but if you know of something that will be noticeably superior around 200 I will consider it.
Primary Purpose: Gaming, Music
Secondary: Movies, Tv series
Preference: Open or closed
Files: mp3, oog, aiff, ac3, and what ever else. I don't discriminate much on files

Music tastes: Mainly Techno, Rock, New Age, Dark wave/industrial, Celtic but I listen to just about anything.
thank you all for any advice you may be able to give! My usual forum is more overclock focused and there's not much activity on the sound forums.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #18,204 of 29,490
Quote:
What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

Sorry for leaving out so much information. Not sure if I can afford an amp, but I'll probably be investing in a portable one if anything. Maybe digizoid ZO2 or E17, dunno which one is better. But if anything, I'll get one in the future and since i'm not really an audiophile and my ears aren't really that picky yet I could do with one that requires an amp so I can enhance the sound when i do get an amp.

I use some FLAC and general 320kbps mp3s. Listen to many genres, mostly rock/pop with some jazz and blues, lots of acoustic guitar and drums. Some asian pop too. I want to use them in and out of the house, so closed back. I don't mind too much if they are big, just as long as they are comfortable. Mainly using in the library and dorm, or when i'm in one place for a long time. other times i'll use my iems and apple earphones.

thanks for your help btw :)

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #18,205 of 29,490
Hey guys, I would like advice picking out some closed cans.

Budget: 250 USD, and preferably below ~300.

Genres: Primarily Metal, but also Rock and Electronic. More specifically: death metal, melodic death, deathcore, metalcore, etc. DnB, trance, hardstyle, electro, house.

What I've heard: I have heard good things about Audio Technica ATH-M50. But I've also seen the a900x's, some stuff by Sennheiser, Denon, and other brands. There are so many brands, I really don't know where to start.

What they're for: Use at home, college, on the move, everywhere.

Amps: I am open to amp use. Suggestions more than welcome.

What I'm looking for (rough): Crisp highs and decent bass, but not too overpowering. I'm a drummer, so the bass drum is just as important as the cymbals.

Files: AAC, MP3, and ALAC. A lot sub-256kbps MP3, but I don't listen to those often. It would be nice to know how these would sound in nice headphones, though.

Misc.: On or over the ear are fine. More isolation is preferred than less. 

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #18,206 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I would like advice picking out some closed cans.

Budget: 250 USD, and preferably below ~300.

Genres: Primarily Metal, but also Rock and Electronic. More specifically: death metal, melodic death, deathcore, metalcore, etc. DnB, trance, hardstyle, electro, house.

What I've heard: I have heard good things about Audio Technica ATH-M50. But I've also seen the a900x's, some stuff by Sennheiser, Denon, and other brands. There are so many brands, I really don't know where to start.

What they're for: Use at home, college, on the move, everywhere.

Amps: I am open to amp use. Suggestions more than welcome.

What I'm looking for (rough): Crisp highs and decent bass, but not too overpowering. I'm a drummer, so the bass drum is just as important as the cymbals.

Files: AAC, MP3, and ALAC. A lot sub-256kbps MP3, but I don't listen to those often. It would be nice to know how these would sound in nice headphones, though.

should they be over ears, or would on ear be ok? If so I can recommend the Beyerdynamic T 50p as an amazing sounding headphone with rather good isolation, something you might be looking for. They also are rather comfortable, I wore them for 2h straight while commuting and they never felt annoying. And the genres I listened to are pretty much the same as yours

sorry for the post guys, i was roaming arround the forum and got the tread I´m in mixed up, but i looks like i can´t delet the post.

Since its here anyway i shall add that it might be worth a thought not to get full size headphone for college, or at least make shure they are proberly isolated. there are some guys arround that have some closed back full sized ones, but they still leak a noticable ammount of sound in a quiet enviroment like that

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #18,207 of 29,490
Quote:
Ultrasone hfi 580 have more bass than m50 and sound a lot cleaner in the whole spectrum. I love em, I think you would too. Sennheiser hd 25 are nice too. Dt770 32 ohm are amazing. All three if these get my vote.

My concern for the 580 is that they'd have too much bass, I wasn't a fan of the Dt770s but I heard the pro editions, I'm not sure how the 32 sounds different from them. The hd 25 would be good for portable, but I didn't feel like they were an improvement over the M50s, they lacked in certain areas.

Quote:
What are your source files?  MP3, aac, wav or aiff?  What is your source?  DAP, computer,  OS etc.  Any dac in the mix?  Any amp?  Portable or home use or both?

Files are typically mp3 320 kbps, or .flac. This feeds into a grubdac which goes to a cmoy I built. The computer is a 2008 macbook pro. I also have a record player that I listen to on the weekends, and that has a pre-amp, that I need to get the model of, cannot remember off the top of my head. That goes into the cmoy as well. I'd be willing to get a new amp and DAC. This setup would be for home use; I am more than happy with my M50s or a pair of mediocre earbuds for portable use.

Quote:
Senn HD 650.  They have a bit more bass than the HD 600.

Wasn't a fan of the the HD 650, they were way too dark for the music I was listening to and at no point did I feel enveloped in sound. I feel like I would like the sennheisers if I did buy them, but I'd need to give them a lot of time.

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #18,208 of 29,490
Quote:
should they be over ears, or would on ear be ok? If so I can recommend the Beyerdynamic T 50p as an amazing sounding headphone with rather good isolation, something you might be looking for. They also are rather comfortable, I wore them for 2h straight while commuting and they never felt annoying. And the genres I listened to are pretty much the same as yours

sorry for the post guys, i was roaming arround the forum and got the tread I´m in mixed up, but i looks like i can´t delet the post.

Since its here anyway i shall add that it might be worth a thought not to get full size headphone for college, or at least make shure they are proberly isolated. there are some guys arround that have some closed back full sized ones, but they still leak a noticable ammount of sound in a quiet enviroment like that

Thank you very much. :) Do you think the T50P have enough isolation? I don't blast my music extremely loud, so I'm not sure if it would be a problem. I also have my Bose IE2 ear buds (my current main form of music listening) for back up, I suppose.

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #18,209 of 29,490
Quote:

Sorry for leaving out so much information. Not sure if I can afford an amp, but I'll probably be investing in a portable one if anything. Maybe digizoid ZO2 or E17, dunno which one is better. But if anything, I'll get one in the future and since i'm not really an audiophile and my ears aren't really that picky yet I could do with one that requires an amp so I can enhance the sound when i do get an amp.

I use some FLAC and general 320kbps mp3s. Listen to many genres, mostly rock/pop with some jazz and blues, lots of acoustic guitar and drums. Some asian pop too. I want to use them in and out of the house, so closed back. I don't mind too much if they are big, just as long as they are comfortable. Mainly using in the library and dorm, or when i'm in one place for a long time. other times i'll use my iems and apple earphones.

thanks for your help btw :)

Without an amp and with the sound signature you want in a closed can, options are limited.  There is the Shure SRH 840 and Beyer DT 1350.

An amp opens up the Shure SRH 940, AKG K 550.

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #18,210 of 29,490
(Reposting this from my own thread, I didn't see this until after I created it):::

- This - close to buying the Ultrasone 580...You guys who drop $2,000 on a pair every week don't think this is a big deal I'm sure but it's the most I've spent on phones. I have some more questions if anyone is nice enough.

After reading through zillions of threads I understand that the 580s are considered the go-to phones for wide, powerful, clean bass around $100??? True/false?
And a little scooped in the middle?
Sounds right up my ally, since I'm trying to run away from piercing upper-mids.

Before I press "buy" and feel all guilty for spending more money than I had intended to (as usual).

1. I hate the chrome/metal look. I like plain black plastic stuff. Guess I'm stuck in the '80s. Do you think it would be crazy if I applied some metal bluing/blackening solution to the silver parts? That is REAL metal right?

2. What on Earth is this "radiation shielding" feature Ultrasone talks about? I've never heard of anything like this before on headphones. I didn't even know they emitted harmful radiation. Can anyone fill me in?

3. Will running these straight from my $400 Windows laptop work or be a total waste? Is some sort of an amp mandatory? I need a new usb interface and some of them have some decent integrated headphone amps so it's not a major problem but I just want to know what I'm getting into. Basically, hows the sensitivity with low power?

4. I've seen mixed reviews about how rugged these are, ranging from "bulletproof" to "fell apart in a week", Since I'll be carrying these to college in a big goofy manpurse with my computer science textbooks this is very important. I'm not going to be scubadiving/wrestling with them or anything but they'll probably get bumped around a LOT.

Thanks in advance. This forum has been great, before I found it I was looking at all sorts of horrific crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back