++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #18,151 of 29,490
Quote:
Tyll has them on his Wall of Fame:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

and

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

It seems that the D2000s lack the isolation I'd like. I just came across the AKG K271 MKIIs and it seems that from the reviews I've read, they have good clarity. How do the mids and bass sound like? People say that the bass has good clarity more than the punch that people seem to crave. I can't really form an opinion on the mids given the reviews I've read.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #18,152 of 29,490
Quote:

It seems that the D2000s lack the isolation I'd like. I just came across the AKG K271 MKIIs and it seems that from the reviews I've read, they have good clarity. How do the mids and bass sound like? People say that the bass has good clarity more than the punch that people seem to crave. I can't really form an opinion on the mids given the reviews I've read.

The D2000 is known for its sub bass that no other can--that was not a basshead can--in its street price range (as it was until the last few months or so) could touch.  It's mids are its weakest point to my ears, as they are somewhat recessed.  The mids and the bass clarity/control improves as you go upline to the D5000 & D7000.  I would not recommend them for portable use or for isolation in noisy environments.  They don't leak very much, contrary to what some have opined--provided you don't play them at very loud (aka not good for your hearing) levels.

They are not for everyone of for every use, but are very good cans for what they do at about $200 to $300 +/-.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #18,153 of 29,490
Quote:
The Grado does not need an amp, but will benefit from a good paring with one.

The Grado is more detailed and open.  It's highs are more piercing than the Senn.  It is very light on the head and has a very natural/organic sound overall.

The 650 has a bit of mid-bass hump.  It is smoother and has more of a "wall of sound"--although not to the extent of the SR Grado line or the Ultrasones.  It's a "fun" headphone but presented in a way that does not contradict its audiophile quality.

I like them both very much.

Well honestly it sounds like the grado's are a bit better, knowing the price (of the amps needed i mean, since they don't need an amp but the 650's do) and because of the more organic sound. But how do they both do with electronic and Radiohead? I'm leaning towards the Grado's, but i don't have much experience (if any) with headphones.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #18,154 of 29,490
Quote:
Well honestly it sounds like the grado's are a bit better, knowing the price (of the amps needed i mean, since they don't need an amp but the 650's do) and because of the more organic sound. But how do they both do with electronic and Radiohead? I'm leaning towards the Grado's, but i don't have much experience (if any) with headphones.

And I don't have much experience with music you enjoy most.  I am heavy into early & classic rock, traditional country, blues and all things rootsy.  Someone else will do a better job at helping you with that.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #18,155 of 29,490
Quote:
The D2000 is known for its sub bass that no other can--that was not a basshead can--in its street price range (as it was until the last few months or so) could touch.  It's mids are its weakest point to my ears, as they are somewhat recessed.  The mids and the bass clarity/control improves as you go upline to the D5000 & D7000.  I would not recommend them for portable use or for isolation in noisy environments.  They don't leak very much, contrary to what some have opined--provided you don't play them at very loud (aka not good for your hearing) levels.

They are not for everyone of for every use, but are very good cans for what they do at about $200 to $300 +/-.

That is true, I'm hoping to use them in fairly noisy environments. You mentioned the KRK KNS 8400 and Shure SRH 840 before, and I am pleased with their sound signature, but how are their isolation? As well, would the AGK K271 MII do alright with the music I listen to? Sorry for the endless questions by the way.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #18,156 of 29,490
Quote:
And I don't have much experience with music you enjoy most.  I am heavy into early & classic rock, traditional country, blues and all things rootsy.  Someone else will do a better job at helping you with that.

Alright, well, i'm looking around a bit and it seems that the Grado's should have an amp, regardless. So what (budget) amp should i get for them? I'm mostly gonna be using it with a computer (without dedicated soundcard)

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #18,158 of 29,490
Quote:

That is true, I'm hoping to use them in fairly noisy environments. You mentioned the KRK KNS 8400 and Shure SRH 840 before, and I am pleased with their sound signature, but how are their isolation? As well, would the AGK K271 MII do alright with the music I listen to? Sorry for the endless questions by the way.

The isolation of the Shure is very good and the 8400 is good.  I have never put on the AKG, but if it has ear pads similar to the K 240 Studio, is is probably just OK.  Likewise I can't tell you anything about the K271 sound from personal experience.  I can tell you that while the K240 studio is a good can for under $100, I rate both the KRK and Shure superior for general listening.

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #18,159 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright, well, i'm looking around a bit and it seems that the Grado's should have an amp, regardless. So what (budget) amp should i get for them? I'm mostly gonna be using it with a computer (without dedicated soundcard)

The better question is what kind of amp.  Tube and hybrid amps (= desktop) tend to tame their highs a bit.  The most affordable good quality enttry level amp of this type that I know about is the HiFiMan EF2A (which also includes a DAC).   Last I looked you could get them for $169 shipped.

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #18,160 of 29,490
Quote:
The better question is what kind of amp.  Tube and hybrid amps (= desktop) tend to tame their highs a bit.  The most affordable good quality enttry level amp of this type that I know about is the HiFiMan EF2A (which also includes a DAC).   Last I looked you could get them for $169 shipped.

Hm, i'll look into it. Oh, and how is the Fiio E17 with the RS2i?

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #18,161 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey again. I'm wondering which headphone company tends to have highs that really sparkle and shine, without sacrificing mids and lows. Any company's sound-signature that fits that bill?

Off hand I can't think of any--only individual cans and a line or two of headphones under a particular brand.  None I can think of can be readily found for under $200--if that.

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #18,162 of 29,490
Quote:
The isolation of the Shure is very good and the 8400 is good.  I have never put on the AKG, but if it has ear pads similar to the K 240 Studio, is is probably just OK.  Likewise I can't tell you anything about the K271 sound from personal experience.  I can tell you that while the K240 studio is a good can for under $100, I rate both the KRK and Shure superior for general listening.

Thank you for all the help. I've narrowed down to the KRK and Shure and was wondering if you would recommend me driving either of them with an amp or an amp/DAC combo that I may consider in the future.

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #18,164 of 29,490
Quote:

Thank you for all the help. I've narrowed down to the KRK and Shure and was wondering if you would recommend me driving either of them with an amp or an amp/DAC combo that I may consider in the future.

I can only speak with personal knowledge about desktop amps.  In that regard I recommend a solid state amp for the Shures, as their highs are their weakest point.  The KRK's are a bit bright, so a hyrid or tube amp (in general) is probably best for them.  The affordable HiFiMan EF2A amp/dac should work well.

If you have a receiver at home--or access to one--try that first in both cases.  At a minimum and by sending a recording of good quality to it and onto your can, it will give you a good reference point at no additional cost.

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #18,165 of 29,490
Hi Guys,
I am looking for an closed back headphone to use with my computer, and so far I have come Down to two contenders:the beyerdynamic dt-770 pro with 32ohm (Limited Edition) and the Audio technica ath-m50s. The headphones will be used for music and Gaming Mostly, and I would like Not to buy an Amp For them. I'm shure there Have been Others asking the Same Question, but i Hope you Guys can still help me Out,

Many Thanks,

Hate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back