++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 19, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #18,106 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
I don't own any portable amps, but know enough that a $30 amp is probably not worth the money for these types of cans, even if it technically "worked" with them.

With regard to additional can recommendations, I haven't got anything more for you--given you want closed and based on your treble requirements.

Yeah, I'm planning on saving up for something better that would just stay in my room. In comparison between the KRK KNS 8400 and the Shure SRH 840, from what I've read, it seems that the 840s have a warmer tilt to them, right? How does this affect how my songs sound like?

I hear the 8400 as brighter & a touch more neutral, and the 840 as having more bass in its presentation due to its mid-bass hump.  They are both very good for what they cost.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #18,111 of 29,490
I posted a separate thread about this but it's really a recommendation question so I'll post here.

I have a pair of HD600's which I really love. I like everything about it. I thought the HE400's might be a good upgrade but as I suspected, it's more of a sideways change rather than a "better" pair of headphones. That's at least the impression I got from reading various threads and it was confirmed by some members. Clearly the HE500's would be the level I would need to move to, in order to see gains. The problem is I don't want to spend that much money ($700) on cans. 

What can I get that would be something new and different and an "improvement" over my HD600's, more in the $200-$500 level?

Alternately, feel free to recommend some headphones in the same league as the HD600.

Thanks.

Aug 19, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #18,112 of 29,490
Quote:
I posted a separate thread about this but it's really a recommendation question so I'll post here.

I have a pair of HD600's which I really love. I like everything about it. I thought the HE400's might be a good upgrade but as I suspected, it's more of a sideways change rather than a "better" pair of headphones. That's at least the impression I got from reading various threads and it was confirmed by some members. Clearly the HE500's would be the level I would need to move to, in order to see gains. The problem is I don't want to spend that much money ($700) on cans. 

What can I get that would be something new and different and an "improvement" over my HD600's, more in the $200-$500 level?

Alternately, feel free to recommend some headphones in the same league as the HD600.

Thanks.

Different and good--certainly.  But an "improvement"--that's in the ears of the listener.  Prime suspects: D5000 (while you can still get them), Grado RS 2i, Sony MDR-SA5000, DT 880, Q701, Alessandro MS2i

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #18,114 of 29,490
Looking for a pair of headphones (open or closed, doesn't matter too much) for mostly home, SOMETIMES portable use, for around $400-500. I found a pair of HD 650's for $400 but buying an amp + DAC brought it up to $685, so i'm not sure if im gonna get it, so can someone recommend me a pair of cans that don't NEED amping? Mostly listen to alt. rock (Radiohead, especially) and electronic. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #18,116 of 29,490
Quote:
The DT 880 is a great can, but need an amp and is not something you want if you are playing standard issue MP3's.

That leaves the Grado and Senn.  Get the 225i if you want a great rock can with "wall of sound" slam and a "sitting on stage with the band" sound.  Get the 598 if you want more extension in the bass (but not bass heavy) and a good sound stage in a can that handles most genres very well.

KG, what is your definition of standard MP3's?  My collection is either ripped mp3 using VBR with 168 as the min, or purchased 256 kbps from iTunes.

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #18,117 of 29,490
Quote:
Different and good--certainly.  But an "improvement"--that's in the ears of the listener.  Prime suspects: D5000 (while you can still get them), Grado RS 2i, Sony MDR-SA5000, DT 880, Q701, Alessandro MS2i

The DT 880 is a great can, but need an amp and is not something you want if you are playing standard issue MP3's.

That leaves the Grado and Senn.  Get the 225i if you want a great rock can with "wall of sound" slam and a "sitting on stage with the band" sound.  Get the 598 if you want more extension in the bass (but not bass heavy) and a good sound stage in a can that handles most genres very well.

I already have the MS2 (I am not sure if it's an MS2i), that's like the 225's right? I am ok if it needs an amp. I don't think I would ever bring my HD600's out on the street. I have portable headphones for that. Thanks for the great list. I assume for the DT 880's, I should get the 600 ohm once since I am using an amp? I've narrowed down your list to the D5000, MDR-SA5000, DT 880, and Q701 since I don't think I need or want multiple Grados.

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #18,118 of 29,490
Quote:
KG, what is your definition of standard MP3's?  My collection is either ripped mp3 using VBR with 168 as the min, or purchased 256 kbps from iTunes.

It's like the download albums from Beach Boys and Bonnie Raitt that I bought from Amazon earlier this summer when they were on sale for under $2 a pop.

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #18,120 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a pair of headphones (open or closed, doesn't matter too much) for mostly home, SOMETIMES portable use, for around $400-500. I found a pair of HD 650's for $400 but buying an amp + DAC brought it up to $685, so i'm not sure if im gonna get it, so can someone recommend me a pair of cans that don't NEED amping? Mostly listen to alt. rock (Radiohead, especially) and electronic. 

In that price range, your options are essentially limited to Grados/Alessandros and Sonys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back