++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 17, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #18,061 of 29,490
So I am in the need of a pair of over/on-ear headphones that I can run unamped. Since I´m currently abroad due to studies I´m not going to buy myself an amp since I probably wont be able to get it back with me when I´m done in 5 months.

I was thinking of getting a pair of Grado 325is but I´m not sure if they would be sounding good without an amp. I´m also afraid that they wont be to comfortable. I have a pair of Vmoda m80s but they are quite sweaty when wearing for a long time.

Anyone got any recommendation?

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #18,062 of 29,490
So I am in the need of a pair of over/on-ear headphones that I can run unamped. Since I´m currently abroad due to studies I´m not going to buy myself an amp since I probably wont be able to get it back with me when I´m done in 5 months.

I was thinking of getting a pair of Grado 325is but I´m not sure if they would be sounding good without an amp. I´m also afraid that they wont be to comfortable. I have a pair of Vmoda m80s but they are quite sweaty when wearing for a long time.

Anyone got any recommendation?

The Grado 325is aren't that bad comfort wise if you use the comfy pads. They are however a bit on the heavy side. They also have the 6.3 mm plug so you will need an adapter. You could also just go with the 60i or 80i, which in your case you might be better off with. They have a mini plug and amplification isn't as necessary. They are also more comfortable. Also, by any chance you are studying abroad in America? Just a guess.

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #18,063 of 29,490
Quote:
The Grado 325is aren't that bad comfort wise if you use the comfy pads. They are however a bit on the heavy side. They also have the 6.3 mm plug so you will need an adapter. You could also just go with the 60i or 80i, which in your case you might be better off with. They have a mini plug and amplification isn't as necessary. They are also more comfortable. Also, by any chance you are studying abroad in America? Just a guess.

Thanks for the tip, though I would like to buy a phone of somewhat higher standard so they wont be useless when I get home to my amps. Now I am in Eindhoven, Netherlands.

Aug 17, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #18,064 of 29,490
Thanks for the tip, though I would like to buy a phone of somewhat higher standard so they wont be useless when I get home to my amps. Now I am in Eindhoven, Netherlands.

I'd go for the 325 then. Hope the price on them isn't too outrageous though being in Europe. That is why I was guessing you were studying in America and Netherlands was your home.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #18,065 of 29,490
Quote:
I'd go for the 325 then. Hope the price on them isn't too outrageous though being in Europe. That is why I was guessing you were studying in America and Netherlands was your home.

Thanks for the help, the they cost 399 euro which probably is around 420$ but since I'm swedish and the current state of the euro is rather crappy it wont be so much

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #18,066 of 29,490
Hey guys, i'm currently looking for a headset to complement my new gaming rig.

I have a budget of around USD 60.  My computer does not have a sound card in it.

It would not be specifically for gaming usage as I also like to listen to music (dubstep and house to name some), and watch movies as well.

As of now, i'm looking towards buying a Razer Electra because of the fact that it has a detachable / separate cable for its mic.  So I would also be able to use this as my headphones for my music player.  I know for a fact that the electra's sound quality is not the best.

I've been browsing the forums for quite some time now and the trend that I have seen when it comes to gaming is to find good headphones and just use a zalman's mic. That would be impossible for me because it is quite hard to find a store that sells a zalman's mic in my country.

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #18,067 of 29,490
Hey guys, i'm currently looking for a headset to complement my new gaming rig.

I have a budget of around USD 60.  My computer does not have a sound card in it.

It would not be specifically for gaming usage as I also like to listen to music (dubstep and house to name some), and watch movies as well.

As of now, i'm looking towards buying a Razer Electra because of the fact that it has a detachable / separate cable for its mic.  So I would also be able to use this as my headphones for my music player.  I know for a fact that the electra's sound quality is not the best.

I've been browsing the forums for quite some time now and the trend that I have seen when it comes to gaming is to find good headphones and just use a zalman's mic. That would be impossible for me because it is quite hard to find a store that sells a zalman's mic in my country.

Thanks!

Coursair just got.into gaming headphones they have a 120$ set that's on sale for like 79$ on.newegg.com USB no sound card exceptional sound great Mic quality build

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #18,069 of 29,490
Hey guys!! so i fell in love with the HD 650s today. Any suggestions for an amp that works well with it (preferrably portable but no limited to)? Going for something below 500

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #18,070 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys!! so i fell in love with the HD 650s today. Any suggestions for an amp that works well with it (preferrably portable but no limited to)? Going for something below 500

I've heard some very good things about the headstage arrow, and "the national"

However, the HD650 would be best driven from a desktop amp.
There was a thread started on this a couple of years ago, it may not be up to date, but it's a good place to start.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/518419/best-amp-for-hd-650-under-500

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #18,071 of 29,490
Aug 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #18,074 of 29,490
Hey, I am looking into buying my first pair of over-the-ear headphones in maybe 6-8 years. I never liked full headphones because my ears would get sweaty and most of the ones i tried pressed against my ears for long periods of time and would be hurt after a while.

I am not much of an audiophile, so I probably wont notice too much difference between something like a Sennheiser 518, 558 or 598 (never tried any of these btw) as some of the more audiophiley people might easily distinguish between them.

I currently use a Razor Moray+ for my listening needs but I want to invest in a good pair of full headphones.

I have been pretty much stuck between the 518, 558, and 598. I really want an open back setup because I know my ears would probably get sweaty if there is no ventilation of some sort. Unless there are closed back headphones with air-flow that I didn't know about.

I also want around the ear so its comfortable to wear.

What I am asking if can someone recommend which of the Sennheisers to go for. 598s are really pushing my budget if I get those, 558s are in my upper budget range. I just want something good but not break the bank good.

I am also open to other companies. Like Astro, and the like. I just have 0 experience with this. Also some brands like Astro and Senn I can get discounts through my employer. Haven't tried others.

I chose Sennheiser since they are a reputable name, and I really think i would be happy with them, but if there are other good ones out there, I am all for it.

Just need a bit of guidance and recommendation on what to look into. I don't have the time to try any of these, so I will go based on my research, your guidance/recommendations, and how much money I am willing to burn on this.

I will be getting an Antlion Modmic, so I have pretty much disregarded the PC360s and many other gaming headsets. Though it the headset has a detachable mic, I wouldn't mind them.

Also, if there are good Wireless headsets in the sub 200 price range with open back. I wouldn't mind that either. It will make it easier to not be tethered to the computer. I have a colleague with Sennheiser HDR120 and it seems quite convenient.

I will be using this for multi-purpose use. Gaming, work, music, movies, etc. I also don't listen to music loud. I like it normal volumed. Like right now on these logitech cheap headsets im using, i have the volume down to like 5-10% on my system. I listen to primarily Happy Hardcore, Rock, a bit of pop. I am mostly all-around, but those are preferred, and I never listen to rap.

Sorry for the all over the place post, I am just trying to provide info as it comes to me.

Thanks.

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #18,075 of 29,490
I am currently looking for a new set of headphones.  I listen to mostly hip-hop, rock, and rap.  I want something with great overall sound quality, but with great bass in particular.  I am looking at the audio technica ath-m50, ultrasone hfi 580/780, or the v-moda crossfade lp.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back