++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 12, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #17,821 of 29,490
Hi there! I've been snooping around the forums for a while, and made my first higher end headphone purchase due to the reviews and recommendations here(Grado SR80). Now that I am headed back to college, but also have a little bit of cash in my pocket, I am looking to purchase a second headphone to complement my Grados. I love the Grado sound, and they're perfect for a lot of what I listen to(a lot of indie rock, indie folk, classic rock).

What I Have
I currently have an unmodified Grado SR80. I source most of my music directly from my computer's motherboard output, or in some cases a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I use foobar2000/poweramp for android. Nearly all of my music is at least 320 kbps MP3, although I try to have as much in FLAC as possible. I do not currently have an amp or a DAC, although I am willing to pick one up if it can really bring out the best in a headphone. I also have around 200 dollars, MAYBE 250 to spend on a new pair of headphones or headphones/amp.

What I'm Looking For!
I want a can to complement my Grados, not to replace them. I hope it picks up where the Grado leaves off. I am looking for a closed can, preferably with decent isolation, that has punchy, impactful bass. I am by no means a basshead, but I would like to feel the bass more than the Grados provide when listening to Trance/House. In addition, I would like the headphone to be on the warmer side and really let me feel the soul of the song. If an open headphone provides what I want in a way that a closed can can't in my price range, I am flexible in that regard.

What I've looked at so far
Audio-Technica M50 -- I've heard a lot of people saying it's good...but I heard it and it just seemed sort of boring. I certainly didn't expect the flair or upper mid/treble sparkliness I've come to know and love from my Grados, but they just sounded flat. This was just from a 5 minute listen, so if I'm grossly mistaken, please let me know.

Beyerdynamic DT-770(any version) -- I've heard good things about these headphones, but I have not personally had a listen. I know the soundstage isn't great, but it's a closed headphone and that's to be expected to an extent. I have also heard they don't isolate very well, but I can live with that. My main concern with these headphones is driving them. As I mentioned above, I currently do not have an amp, although I would be willing to purchase one if absolutely necessary(I would probably buy a FiiO e17)

Fischer FA-003/Brainwavz HM5 -- I've heard a lot of good things about these headphones. I know that they're neutral, and I'm ok with that, as long as they're not flat/non musical. I've heard that they have a very natural sound, and that appeals to me. The bass is reputed to be tight, although not especially forceful. Currently, these are what I'm leaning towards.

I have also considered several other headphones, such as Ultrasones, but they seem to be too bassy and I don't particularly like the look/feel of them. 
In addition, I am willing to buy used/secondhand, so if you know anyone selling a good fit for me, let me know!

I apologize for the length of the post, I wanted to help you help me as much as possible! Also, I would like to thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #17,822 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?---------I am not ok with Leak sound

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp------Dont think i would buy a amp

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?-----mp3   256 kbps mosty ---Metal

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking? ----i have no idea about this here....

Let me know which would be a good headphones....

Shure SRH 840,  KRK KNS 8400 and Ultrasone HiFi 780 (more slam, bass & colored than the first two--but not as detailed).

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #17,823 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there! I've been snooping around the forums for a while, and made my first higher end headphone purchase due to the reviews and recommendations here(Grado SR80). Now that I am headed back to college, but also have a little bit of cash in my pocket, I am looking to purchase a second headphone to complement my Grados. I love the Grado sound, and they're perfect for a lot of what I listen to(a lot of indie rock, indie folk, classic rock).

What I Have
I currently have an unmodified Grado SR80. I source most of my music directly from my computer's motherboard output, or in some cases a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. I use foobar2000/poweramp for android. Nearly all of my music is at least 320 kbps MP3, although I try to have as much in FLAC as possible. I do not currently have an amp or a DAC, although I am willing to pick one up if it can really bring out the best in a headphone. I also have around 200 dollars, MAYBE 250 to spend on a new pair of headphones or headphones/amp.

What I'm Looking For!
I want a can to complement my Grados, not to replace them. I hope it picks up where the Grado leaves off. I am looking for a closed can, preferably with decent isolation, that has punchy, impactful bass. I am by no means a basshead, but I would like to feel the bass more than the Grados provide when listening to Trance/House. In addition, I would like the headphone to be on the warmer side and really let me feel the soul of the song. If an open headphone provides what I want in a way that a closed can can't in my price range, I am flexible in that regard.

Audio-Technica M50 -- I've heard a lot of people saying it's good...but I heard it and it just seemed sort of boring. I certainly didn't expect the flair or upper mid/treble sparkliness I've come to know and love from my Grados, but they just sounded flat. This was just from a 5 minute listen, so if I'm grossly mistaken, please let me know.

Beyerdynamic DT-770(any version) -- I've heard good things about these headphones, but I have not personally had a listen. I know the soundstage isn't great, but it's a closed headphone and that's to be expected to an extent. I have also heard they don't isolate very well, but I can live with that. My main concern with these headphones is driving them. As I mentioned above, I currently do not have an amp, although I would be willing to purchase one if absolutely necessary(I would probably buy a FiiO e17)

Fischer FA-003/Brainwavz HM5 -- I've heard a lot of good things about these headphones. I know that they're neutral, and I'm ok with that, as long as they're not flat/non musical. I've heard that they have a very natural sound, and that appeals to me. The bass is reputed to be tight, although not especially forceful. Currently, these are what I'm leaning towards.

I have also considered several other headphones, such as Ultrasones, but they seem to be too bassy and I don't particularly like the look/feel of them. 

I apologize for the length of the post, I wanted to help you help me as much as possible! Also, I would like to thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

The DT 770 (they come in various Ohm flavors +/- Pro version of each) is a good choice to complement the mids forward Grado.   If you go with one, get at least the 250 Ohm version for best sound.  They (250 Ohm and above) will need an amp.

Another good choice is the Ultrasone Pro 750, which needs an amp or it loses its (strong--but not basshead level--bass).

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #17,824 of 29,490
Quote:

What I Have

What I'm Looking For!

In addition, I am willing to buy used/secondhand, so if you know anyone selling a good fit for me, let me know!

I listen to the same music genres as you and I think it all sounds great on my HM5's which I drive with a  Fiio E7. The bass is very tight and the highs and mids sound nice and accurate. Although I haven't heard either of the other headphones when I was looking for a pair I was directed towards the FA-003/HM5 when pitted against them (I also looked at the DT-770 and M50). Hope this helps

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #17,826 of 29,490
Quote:
M50's are light on the bass, not sure how in the world you came up with comment

With all due respect, they are only light on bass if you are a basshead. 

Compared to a neutral sounding can (or speaker)--say the HD 600 (or even the somewhat emphasized bass of the HD 650)--they are bass heavy and mids light.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #17,827 of 29,490
Hello

I've been searching like crazy for a pair off headphones that sits a bit more slimmed than my K 272's, and a huge plus would also be if they didn't have a headband (i'm not an IEM person, i've tried a few different models, after a while my ears get really irritated) and i came across the awesomely looking Audio Technica clip-on models, and from what i've read they sound good too.

Anyway, the EW9's are a bit above my budget, since i live in sweden and can't get them for less than 300 dollars with shipping (plus customs) and the other models (em7, em9) are discontinued.

However, i did find some EM9d's which have been used as demo-headphones at a shop in sweden, in almost new condition, that they're selling for about 200 dollars (1500 SEK) which isn't exactly bargain price either, but they look like awesome headphones, and i really want them.

but after all i haven't found alot off info on these headphones, no complete reviews, just some talk here and there, so some help and advice would be greatly appriciated!

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #17,829 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello

I've been searching like crazy for a pair off headphones that sits a bit more slimmed than my K 272's, and a huge plus would also be if they didn't have a headband (i'm not an IEM person, i've tried a few different models, after a while my ears get really irritated) and i came across the awesomely looking Audio Technica clip-on models, and from what i've read they sound good too.

Anyway, the EW9's are a bit above my budget, since i live in sweden and can't get them for less than 300 dollars with shipping (plus customs) and the other models (em7, em9) are discontinued.

However, i did find some EM9d's which have been used as demo-headphones at a shop in sweden, in almost new condition, that they're selling for about 200 dollars (1500 SEK) which isn't exactly bargain price either, but they look like awesome headphones, and i really want them.

but after all i haven't found alot off info on these headphones, no complete reviews, just some talk here and there, so some help and advice would be greatly appriciated!

I'm not familiar with the items you're considering (other than the K 272).  If they are EIM's or portable cans you're in the wrong section of the forum.  This is the Full Sized Headphone Recommendation Thread/Section.

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #17,830 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello

My recommendation is to go hang out in that store and bring in some of your music if you can so that you can really give them a good listen. Just spend some time listening to different songs to see if you like their sound. You can also see how they feel after a little while on your ears. As much help as it is to get recommendations fro others, the best option is to always try heapdhones out yourself if you can, and it seems like you have this opportunity.

If it is the price that you are worried about, I have no idea if it is a good price because first of all I'm not familiar with that model, and second being in the US I don't have any perspective on how international price compare and what would constitute normal price.

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #17,831 of 29,490
Hello,
I am looking to buy headphones in the price range of around 150$.
I mainly listen too:
Progressive Rock, eg. King Crimson, Camel, Yes, Caravan, Jethro Tull.
and Jazz eg. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Monk.
Some hard rock sometimes like Black Sabbath and movies.

Currently I can't decide between Ultrasone HFI-780 and Beyerdynamic DT 770 both at price of  150 and 170$, and I read good recommendations on both of them.
I am open to new suggestions also.

Currently I have no amp, no quality DAC nor sound card.

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #17,832 of 29,490
Out of pure curiosity, has anyone here managed to audition the Sennheiser HD800s, maybe even own a pair? A friend of mine new to the hobby (and obscenely rich, not to mention) has been asking me about headphones that would work well for rock and the like. I've got a bit of a reputation for being really anal with sound quality in my college. He's got the same musical interests as me, though I lean towards older songs while he tends towards nu metal, hip-hop, techno and the like.

Out of the blue, he asked me about whether or not the HD800s would do well with bass-heavy genres. Believe it or not, the decision was based solely on aesthetics (and my recommendation to avoid Beats, Skullcandy, Bose, and Monster like the plague). I've never heard them personally, so I'm here as a sort of proxy.

Also, I warned him that cans like the HD800s need a great amp to go with them, so in the event that he ends up buying them, he'll have to shell out even more cash. That kinda ruined it for him :))

Anyway, would they be okay for those genres? Also, in the event that he decides to go for something that can plug into a DAP without need for any additional amplification, do you guys have any recommendations? I'm thinking the Beyer t5p myself, though I've only got reviews to go on them; great headphones are kinda hard to come by outside of meets :p

Cheers!

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #17,833 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,
I am looking to buy headphones in the price range of around 150$.
I mainly listen too:
Progressive Rock, eg. King Crimson, Camel, Yes, Caravan, Jethro Tull.
and Jazz eg. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Monk.
Some hard rock sometimes like Black Sabbath and movies.

Currently I can't decide between Ultrasone HFI-780 and Beyerdynamic DT 770 both at price of  150 and 170$, and I read good recommendations on both of them.
I am open to new suggestions also.

Currently I have no amp, no quality DAC nor sound card.

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Are you open to getting an amp or amp/dac?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

If you have a preference, describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #17,834 of 29,490
Quote:
Out of pure curiosity, has anyone here managed to audition the Sennheiser HD800s, maybe even own a pair? A friend of mine new to the hobby (and obscenely rich, not to mention) has been asking me about headphones that would work well for rock and the like. I've got a bit of a reputation for being really anal with sound quality in my college. He's got the same musical interests as me, though I lean towards older songs while he tends towards nu metal, hip-hop, techno and the like.

Out of the blue, he asked me about whether or not the HD800s would do well with bass-heavy genres. Believe it or not, the decision was based solely on aesthetics (and my recommendation to avoid Beats, Skullcandy, Bose, and Monster like the plague). I've never heard them personally, so I'm here as a sort of proxy.

Also, I warned him that cans like the HD800s need a great amp to go with them, so in the event that he ends up buying them, he'll have to shell out even more cash. That kinda ruined it for him :))

Anyway, would they be okay for those genres? Also, in the event that he decides to go for something that can plug into a DAP without need for any additional amplification, do you guys have any recommendations? I'm thinking the Beyer t5p myself, though I've only got reviews to go on them; great headphones are kinda hard to come by outside of meets :p

Cheers!

The HD 800 is a $1,500 can.  You need to post this in the Summit Fi section of the forum.

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #17,835 of 29,490
Quote:

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Are you open to getting an amp or amp/dac?

Do you plan to use them outside your home?  If so, in what way & with what equipment?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

I prefer open headphones rather than sealed ones.
The headphones will be plugged to a computer with a default sound card.
I am open to buy amp and a DAC but only in the future, I currently only have around 150-170 $ to pay for audio gear and I think that spending it all on headphones (for now) is the right call. (Maybe getting a really cheap amp/dac for 20$ ie fiio)
I don't plan to use them outside the house.

Quote:

Quote:
I prefer open headphones rather than sealed ones.
The headphones will be plugged to a computer with a default sound card.
I am open to buy amp and a DAC but only in the future, I currently only have around 150-170 $ to pay for audio gear and I think that spending it all on headphones (for now) is the right call. (Maybe getting a really cheap amp/dac for 20$ ie fiio)
I don't plan to use them outside the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back