++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #17,806 of 29,490
Guys looking to buy the ultrasone Hfi 580
do u recommend it i listen to all Genres of music

can go to max $150  budget

please let me know if any other headphone is better -

i need to order asap so please help.....

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #17,807 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright then, I'll see if the Monoprice shows up on Amazon anytime soon, if not, I'll go with "The Stretch" headphones, which I've heard are pretty much indestructible, pretty comfy, and isolation good. But the monoprice should be able to compete in terms of sound

"The Stretch" sounds pretty awful. I'd avoid it like the plague.  There are so many better choices at that price.  I'd look at the HD202/203.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #17,808 of 29,490
"The Stretch" sounds pretty awful. I'd avoid it like the plague.  There are so many better choices at that price.  I'd look at the HD202/203

How do they do in terms of quality and leakage, I know there are better options, it's just that at this price it's either comfort and isolation or quality (you can't really have both without giving up something).

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #17,809 of 29,490
Quote:
How do they do in terms of quality and leakage, I know there are better options, it's just that at this price it's either comfort and isolation or quality (you can't really have both without giving up something).

They sound much, much better than The Stretch, and they are pretty comfy for semi circumaural.  Very little leakage.  I think you would be much happier with them.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #17,810 of 29,490
Quote:

I've had the HD202 and The monoprices are significantly better sounding. If you want to read more about them they are the exact same phone (minus a couple cosmetic changes) as the Kicker HP541. It doesn't appear that the Monoprices are on Amazon, which is strange because they had been until recently I guess. They are available on the Monoprice website though.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #17,811 of 29,490
Quote:
Alright guys, I'm looking for over ear headphones that are under $50. So far I'm considering

Philips "The Stretch" headphones
Panasonic RP-HTX600-S
JVC HARX700

I listen to mostly Hip-Hop, but also have a bit of Jazz and rock and want to be a bit mobile with these headphones. So can you guys help me pick/ Anything better in the price range?

I'm gonna second the 8323. Thats what i use for my portable. Easy to drive. Warm, bass heavy (helps with isolation). Solid build. Folds up nicely. Comes with 2 cables. Both detachable. 3.5 to 3.5 nothing proprietary. Great sound and mine were only $30 after shipping.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #17,812 of 29,490
Quote:

The 580 is a basshead can.  To make a recommendation, most of us will need to know:

Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #17,813 of 29,490
Quote:

If your max budget is $150 then get the M50's. You won't need an amp to power it and its a good all around can. Can't go wrong with it brotha.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #17,814 of 29,490
Quote:

If your max budget is $150 then get the M50's. You won't need an amp to power it and its a good all around can. Can't go wrong with it brotha.

I disagree.  They are not a very good all arrronder because of their recessed mids.  If you want enhanced bass in the form of a "V' shaped EQ, then they could be your ticket.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #17,815 of 29,490
Hi all,

I have a Yulong D100 MKII on order and should arrive soon. Wondering if anyone has tried this amp/dac with the Hifiman HE-500? Is this a sufficient amp/dac to generally get the most out of the HE-500? If not, what are your recommendations of an upgrade (without exceeding $1000).

Also, I have Denon AHD5000 and so if you recommend an upgrade, perhaps consider I would like something that pairs well with these phones also (if possible).

Cheers!

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #17,816 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,

I have a Yulong D100 MKII on order and should arrive soon. Wondering if anyone has tried this amp/dac with the Hifiman HE-500? Is this a sufficient amp/dac to generally get the most out of the HE-500? If not, what are your recommendations of an upgrade (without exceeding $1000).

Also, I have Denon AHD5000 and so if you recommend an upgrade, perhaps consider I would like something that pairs well with these phones also (if possible).

Cheers!

The D5000 is a very good but somewhat colored closed can.  What kind of sound signature are you looking for to complement them?  Is an open can something that would work for you?

I can't tell you anything about the Yulong.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #17,817 of 29,490
Quote:
Passive isolation will likely work for you if the outside noise will be more talking than constant frequencies. The two closed cans I used last semester were first the Beyerdynamic DT770, and then the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro (same as Pro 550). Each one does a pretty decent job at blocking out noise.

Here is a graph of the noise isolation levels of the two above headphones as well as the Bose QC15

The Ultrasone isn't quite as good as either, but with music I never had a problem with outside noise bothering me.

The DT770 is as good and even slightly better at isolation from 1K hz upward.

The biggest difference between passive and active noise cancellation will be in the lower frequencies, as is seen on the above graph.

Here is another graph with the Audio-Technica ANC7B instead of the Bose.

If you want the best noise cancellation, the Bose QC15 is hands down the best. If you can deal with only good-very good passive noise cancellation, there are several options such as the DT770, but the recommendation will largely depend upon what sound signature you want and what type of music you listen to.

It won't be super constant I guess, just lots of background talking and what not.  I mainly listen to hip hop, new and classic rock, and electronic music, but I occasionally will listen to folk or classical.  I want a solid base sound for the rap and electronic, but also a good all around headphone.  

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #17,818 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers!

Sorry I couldn't tell you about the Yulong but if you do want to get a new amp I could give you some suggestions. Do you prefer solid state of tube?

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #17,819 of 29,490
Quote:
online dating; the headphone version.
wink.gif

Alternatively if you are looking to explore other options, a search for neutral, closed headphones under 200$ should bring up quite a few threads worth exploring. As you can imagine, many others are looking for the same thing.
The two recommendations KG Jag has left you seem excellent, it may just come down to availability/pricing and little details about differences in comfort, durability, reliability, sound (of course).
I'm sort of looking for the same thing although I'm in no hurry at all.
tongue.gif

The KRK KNS8400 Studio Headphones are currently available from an Amazon thire party for $110 shipped.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #17,820 of 29,490
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?---------I am not ok with Leak sound

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp------Dont think i would buy a amp

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?-----mp3   256 kbps mosty ---Metal

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking? ----i have no idea about this here....

Let me know which would be a good headphones....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back