++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #17,716 of 29,490
I would definitely advice open backed phones, they have a much wider soundstage and can sound much better. If you must have closed I will give you a couple to look at. 
Open Back:
Sennheiser HD650/600
Hifiman HE-400
Beyerdynamic DT 990/880

Closed Back:
Fischer Audio FA 003 (or a clone of them as they are difficult to get in the US)
Denon AH-D2000/5000

Also, what are you going to be driving them with? If you do get a pair of open backed cans you should have a decent desktop amp to get their full potential. If you get closed you could get a portable amp/DAC like the Fiio E7

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #17,717 of 29,490
Quote:
I would definitely advice open backed phones, they have a much wider soundstage and can sound much better. If you must have closed I will give you a couple to look at. 
Open Back:
Sennheiser HD650/600
Hifiman HE-400
Beyerdynamic DT 990/880

Closed Back:
Fischer Audio FA 003 (or a clone of them as they are difficult to get in the US)
Denon AH-D2000/5000

Also, what are you going to be driving them with? If you do get a pair of open backed cans you should have a decent desktop amp to get their full potential. If you get closed you could get a portable amp/DAC like the Fiio E7

I do have the Fiio E11's. Imt seems like open backs are the way to go. Is there a big difference between the HD 600-650? Other than the price of course because the 600's are in my price range. And thanks for the info guys.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #17,718 of 29,490
They have the same design but the 650 has better build quality. I personally haven't heard either of them but I believe that the 650 is a little more neutral than the 600. Both are really great. I would advice the beyers or hifiman over those though. 

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #17,719 of 29,490
Quote:
I do have the Fiio E11's. Imt seems like open backs are the way to go. Is there a big difference between the HD 600-650? Other than the price of course because the 600's are in my price range. And thanks for the info guys.

The Beyer's have better (less muddy) base than the sennheisers, and if you get the Dt 880s you can even use them on-the-go as they are semi-open. The HD 600/650s I found very neutral, and even boring. I think they lacked in bass and soundstage, but your opinion may be completely different.

And I found the 600/650s similar except for build design/quality. But I think most people find the 600s more laid back and less fun than the 650s, whereas I found them both boring.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #17,721 of 29,490
Quote:
The Beyer's have better (less muddy) base than the sennheisers, and if you get the Dt 880s you can even use them on-the-go as they are semi-open. The HD 600/650s I found very neutral, and even boring. I think they lacked in bass and soundstage, but your opinion may be completely different.

And I found the 600/650s similar except for build design/quality. But I think most people find the 600s more laid back and less fun than the 650s, whereas I found them both boring.

The DT 880 are more detail oriented than either of the Senns.  The 600 is very neutral.  The 650 has the mid-bass hump which many like and for them makes it a more "fun", less "boring" can than the 600.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #17,723 of 29,490
Quote:
I would recommend doing some research on the beyer 880 and the hifiman HE4 I havent heard the beyers but ive read that they are similar to the HE4 but slightly worse in every way.

Currently the HE-4 is priced at $449--$100 higher than the DT 880, 600 Ohm.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #17,724 of 29,490
I am looking for a closed, portable, on ear OR around-the-ear, pair of headphones. It's important that there is no sound leakage so I don't want any open headphones. I want a smallish pair just in case I want to take it traveling or on a subway or something. It's important to note that I am not the kind of person that walks around the street wearing headphones. I also don't live in a metro area where it makes sense for me to listen to music on a subway ride to work or something. We don't use public transportation here. I really only have headphones on in the gym (IEM) or at work. The only exception is if I am on a plane or vacation.

Music listened to - Top 40, hip-hop, jazz, a little bit of house/drum & bass/etc. Not very bass focused but some bass-y stuff.

Location - mostly at work, at my desk, using a desktop amp. If I was on the road, I may use the headphones unamped with my Android phone, iPod Classic, Shuffle, etc. If I had my laptop (say for a flight), I might run it amped with a DAC/Amp.

Price - $200 or less.

Current Headphones - 

Bose Quiet Comfort QC15
Brainwavz M4 (IEM)
Sennheiser HD25-1 II - used a lot
Sennheiser HD600 - used a lot
Sennheiser PMX 680 Sport Earbuds
Superlux HD 668B - used a lot
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 (IEM)
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 (reshelled) (IEM)
Ultrasone Pro 650

Current Amps - 

PIMETA / META42
PPA - used primarily
HRT Music Streamer II - used primarily
Super Pro USB DAC 707
Might pick up a USB/DAC such as a FiiO E17 for portable use.

Thoughts?

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #17,725 of 29,490
Quote:
I am looking for a closed, portable, on ear OR around-the-ear, pair of headphones. It's important that there is no sound leakage so I don't want any open headphones. I want a smallish pair just in case I want to take it traveling or on a subway or something. It's important to note that I am not the kind of person that walks around the street wearing headphones. I also don't live in a metro area where it makes sense for me to listen to music on a subway ride to work or something. We don't use public transportation here. I really only have headphones on in the gym (IEM) or at work. The only exception is if I am on a plane or vacation.

Music listened to - Top 40, hip-hop, jazz, a little bit of house/drum & bass/etc. Not very bass focused but some bass-y stuff.

Location - mostly at work, at my desk, using a desktop amp. If I was on the road, I may use the headphones unamped with my Android phone, iPod Classic, Shuffle, etc. If I had my laptop (say for a flight), I might run it amped with a DAC/Amp.

Price - $200 or less.

Current Headphones - 

Bose Quiet Comfort QC15
Brainwavz M4 (IEM)
Ultrasone Pro 650

Current Amps - 

PIMETA / META42
PPA - used primarily
Super Pro USB DAC 707

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good fit for the Denon D1100.  It is very portable and has great isolation.

Aug 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #17,726 of 29,490
Quote:

Price - $200 or less.

Current Headphones - 

Bose Quiet Comfort QC15
Brainwavz M4 (IEM)
Ultrasone Pro 650

Current Amps - 

PIMETA / META42
PPA - used primarily
Super Pro USB DAC 707

Thoughts?

You could look into the V-Moda M-80. It is pretty small and comes with a case and 2 detachable cords. It has nice bass, but it is not over done. It is also the best built pair I've ever tried, so there isn't a worry about damaging it while transporting them.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #17,727 of 29,490
Heya,

Looking for my first pair of "proper" headphones (used to basic stuff, headsets and the like), sadly the more I search the more I change my mind on which would suit me best. Now to what I want from a headphone well... something that will work well with rock (alternative, electronic, indie, classic) and electronic music, I do listen to a bit of classical and pop but these aren't really the focus of what I want my headphones for.

I'm not too picky on open or closed, but I'd prefer closed if I ever want to use them out and about, and would rather have over ear.

I don't mind buying an amp (something like an e7) as long as the headphones are around £150 ($230).

From all my searching I've come up with a small list:

Sennheiser HD 598 (no amp)
Beyerdynamic DT 770/990 (250 Ohm) (with amp)
AKG K550 (no amp)
AKG K271 Mk2 (or the K240) (with amp)

I've also looked at the Grado SR80i (and the SR60i), HD 25-1 II and V-Moda M80 but would rather get one of the above unless one of this 3 is in some way better for my genres of music.

All of these I've listed basically come to the same price give or take, if anyone has any other options for me in this price range I'd love to know of them.

Would be extremely grateful if someone could help me make a choice, thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #17,729 of 29,490
Quote:
Heya,

Looking for my first pair of "proper" headphones (used to basic stuff, headsets and the like), sadly the more I search the more I change my mind on which would suit me best. Now to what I want from a headphone well... something that will work well with rock (alternative, electronic, indie, classic) and electronic music, I do listen to a bit of classical and pop but these aren't really the focus of what I want my headphones for.

I'm not too picky on open or closed, but I'd prefer closed if I ever want to use them out and about, and would rather have over ear.

I don't mind buying an amp (something like an e7) as long as the headphones are around £150 ($230).

From all my searching I've come up with a small list:

Sennheiser HD 598 (no amp)
Beyerdynamic DT 770/990 (250 Ohm) (with amp)
AKG K550 (no amp)
AKG K271 Mk2 (or the K240) (with amp)

I've also looked at the Grado SR80i (and the SR60i), HD 25-1 II and V-Moda M80 but would rather get one of the above unless one of this 3 is in some way better for my genres of music.

All of these I've listed basically come to the same price give or take, if anyone has any other options for me in this price range I'd love to know of them.

Would be extremely grateful if someone could help me make a choice, thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the Beyerdynamic DT770 would be a pretty good fit. It has a good amount of bass though which not everyone likes. The HD598s are also a good choice and a nice choice for lots of genres. The downside is that their bass doesn't like to come out unless they are amped  and then it is just fine. The Grados will not be a good choice for your electronic tunes, though they will pair nicely with your rock music.

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #17,730 of 29,490
think about the ATH-M50 too. but it should be a pick between ath-m50s and vmoda m-80. i hear so many people tell me the 1100s dont have audiophile sound to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back