++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #17,687 of 29,490
Quote:

Here's a way you might be able to do it, though it may be a little trickier with your Sennheisers. The sound quality unfortunately will be degraded though so it probably isn't the best idea. I'm also kinda confused about what happened to the headphone plug. Did you break the plug, or is it something with the 1/8" adapter?

Thanks hipster, but id rather not reduce the quality.

what happened is the jack in my phone has become loose, as i travel with my phone in my pocket and walk around a lot, so movement + the large adaptor size has moved back and forward, side to side too many times and has basicially loosened up the plug so much that i need to hold it in to one side for it to connect, otherwise its either 1 ear, or nothing, and seeing as how my phone stops the track playing when it detects headphones are unplugged im sure you can see how this would quickly become frustrating!

Aug 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #17,688 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, I would like to ask for some suggestions on a 200$ headphone, with a fairly neutral sound signature, preferably circum-aural (but it can be supra-aural, not a big deal).

I'm gonna use 'em with an iPod video, and probably an Audioengine D1, if I get around to buy one.

I listen to Rock, Metal and Classical. I know those genres can be quite different sound-signature wise, but that's why I'm looking for a fairly neutral pair of headphones.

So far I've looked at the Sennheiser HD-25, and the Shure SRH840, but there's got to be more variety out there.

Thanks in advance for any and all help given.

I'll be honest, I haven't tried too many headphones, but I suggest you at least listen to the Sennheiser HD598s. I could go on and on about them, but I think some of the reviews on here do a better job. I can say for sure that you wouldn't be dissatisfied with them. Can be had for $180 used.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #17,689 of 29,490
I'll be honest, I haven't tried too many headphones, but I suggest you at least listen to the Sennheiser HD598s. I could go on and on about them, but I think some of the reviews on here do a better job. I can say for sure that you wouldn't be dissatisfied with them. Can be had for $180 used.

Yes!!! Most comfortable headphone I have ever worn. Extreme value overall IMO.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #17,690 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks hipster, but id rather not reduce the quality.

what happened is the jack in my phone has become loose, as i travel with my phone in my pocket and walk around a lot, so movement + the large adaptor size has moved back and forward, side to side too many times and has basicially loosened up the plug so much that i need to hold it in to one side for it to connect, otherwise its either 1 ear, or nothing, and seeing as how my phone stops the track playing when it detects headphones are unplugged im sure you can see how this would quickly become frustrating!

Ok that makes sense. I would recommend you find a way to fix the plug on your phone or you may need a new phone (or different player). The HD555 are a bit of an odd choice to plug into a phone as I'm assuming you therefore use them as portable headphones. Regardless, you should still be able to use your HD555 from a normal source, but if you need an adapter for a 1/8" plug I'd recommend getting something like this with an "L" shaped plug so there isn't as much awkward pressure on the headphone jack on your player (doesn't have to be that exact adapter, just the angled termination.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #17,691 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm currently shopping an audio setup, more precisely a pair of  headphone. My current setup is Onboard sound card, with some LogitechG35 Usb gaming headset. They are getting old, drivers pissed me off most of the time and the sound quality isn't that great. Not to mention that they started making crazy loud noise (Ear hurting pink noise). I'm not an Audio geek like most of you, read/watch a lot of reviews on headphones, amps, sound card and still trying to figure out that beautiful world of the audiophile.

So here I am to ask you on what to buy to get a good experience with headphones. My personal use of headphones is mainly to game(70% of the time) on war game like battlefield 3. I also watch a lot of tv shows like game of thrones or Dexter or the walking dead. And of course, music witch isn't specific to a style but mostly metal/rock/Alternative/heavy or death metal/punkish.

Budget would be anything from 200 to 350-400ish$ CAD, that would include an Headphone, a sound card and an amp to drive the headphone if needed. I've looked into tons of pairs, at this price point there are so many that I have a hard time deciding what to get actually. From what I've looked AKG Q701 seemed to be a good idea because they had a really good soundstage for gaming, the budget was fine and the sound quality is decent. Problem is that most reviews said the bass was a little bit lacking (disapointed because I like bass with explosions, gunfire close to me) and are hard to drive them (considering my budget, getting a good amp is kinda out of the question. My initial budget was a bit lower, but I don't want to upgrade in 3 month saying I need something a bit better. So I aimed over it a bit.

Any suggestions on Headphone/soundcard/amp composition, I know that some sound card have integrated amp on them like the Xonar Dgx w/e.Really need some help here. Other question, will it upgrade the sound experience alot over my old G35?

I've posted on many forums, yet to have one good clear answer :/

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #17,692 of 29,490
Looking for a pair of entry level headphones with good bass extension, and a balanced sound; mids are pleasant and highs aren't harsh or fatiguing. Budget of $200. Comfort and isolation are important - hopefully not tremendously heavy and the cable is detachable.

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #17,693 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for a pair of entry level headphones with good bass extension, and a balanced sound; mids are pleasant and highs aren't harsh or fatiguing. Budget of $200. Comfort and isolation are important - hopefully not tremendously heavy and the cable is detachable.

Wow twice in one day! I'll recommend Sennheiser HD598 most comfortable can I've owned. Highs are superb. Endlessly engaging mids. Very light- you will forget they're on you head. Detachable cable. The bass extension is decent, but I've heard it improves a lot with an amp, even a cheap one. You can often find them used for $180. I might be a bight biased though, I just got mine a few weeks ago
darthsmile.gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #17,695 of 29,490
Quote:
Wow twice in one day! I'll recommend Sennheiser HD598 most comfortable can I've owned. Highs are superb. Endlessly engaging mids. Very light- you will forget they're on you head. Detachable cable. The bass extension is decent, but I've heard it improves a lot with an amp, even a cheap one. You can often find them used for $180. I might be a bight biased though, I just got mine a few weeks ago
darthsmile.gif

Wow that was a quick response! I actually forgot to mention I'm looking for a pair of closed circumaural headphones since these will be used as for everyday use as well. But that is definitely a pair I'll consider when I decide to buy a pair for just home use.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #17,697 of 29,490
I'm looking for a over-the-ear headphone, and I came across AD700, M50s and Superlux HD668B. I can only spend around 100usd or lesser on it and using it mostly for gaming and occasionally watching movie. In few months time I will be getting the astro mixamp so hope to get one that can work well with the surround. Hope to get recommendation from you guys. Thanks! 

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #17,698 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for a over-the-ear headphone, and I came across AD700, M50s and Superlux HD668B. I can only spend around 100usd or lesser on it and using it mostly for gaming and occasionally watching movie. In few months time I will be getting the astro mixamp so hope to get one that can work well with the surround. Hope to get recommendation from you guys. Thanks! 

The M50s won't be quite as good for gaming and movies due to their small soundstage. Both the Superlux and AD700s are great for movies and games, if you like bass then the Superlux would be the better choice of the two.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #17,699 of 29,490
Hey, thanks for the reply. I've read a bit about the O-ones. I don't think they are the right pair for me. I listen to classical once in a while, not as much as I listen to metal and rock, so I would like a neutral headphone that could handle most genres pretty well while giving me a clear representation of the recording.

I've read about the Shure SRH840 - most people claim that they have a neutral, yet a bit mid-range emphasized sound with a bit of bass.
I can get them for a good price in my area, so I'm quite interested.

What about Beyerdynamic? Any fairly neutral pair from them in a reasonable price?

EDIT: Oh, and about the HD598, I'm looking for a closed pair, sorry. Thanks for the help anyway.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #17,700 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the reply. I've read a bit about the O-ones. I don't think they are the right pair for me. I listen to classical once in a while, not as much as I listen to metal and rock, so I would like a neutral headphone that could handle most genres pretty well while giving me a clear representation of the recording.

I've read about the Shure SRH840 - most people claim for a neutral, yet a bit mid-range emphasized sound with a bit of bass.
I can get them for a good price in my area, so I'm quite interested.

What about Beyerdynamic? Any fairly neutral pair from them in a reasonable price?

The DT 880 (+/-Pro) is the neutral (and detail oriented) Beyer--before you get to the much more expensive Teslas.  They usually go for between $225 and $325, depending to some degree on which version and Ohm rating you select.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back