++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #17,629 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi All,

I am having a bit of a dilema.  I currently have grado SR80i and HD25-1 II.  I mostly listen to HD25.  I do not even listen to the grado because it is horrible for classical.  I listen to all types of music and want a phone that plays all types very well.  I have searched the forums extensively but so many opinions that I cannot decide what to try.  I want to do a decent step up.  Under $1000 for phones.  Here is the rest of my criteria if you could help.

1.  Home use
2.  Could be open or closed
3.  Very good in all genres but excels especially in rock
4.  Pairs well with an amp
5.  Recommendations on amp to pair with the suggested phones. 

I have been looking for 2 months now and cannot decide.  I have been leaning towards the LCD-2 but not sure I would get the punch from rock music.

Sincerely,
Larry

A setup I can personally recommend would be the HiFiMAN HE-400s ($400) Paired with the Fiio E17 ($140). I use this setup for a variety of genres, especially rock, and I feel that this is a great setup, all while being about $460 under your budget. 

Good Luck!

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #17,631 of 29,490
Quote:
Preferably looking for headphones which are closed (people can't hear your music is closed right?). 

I listen to hip-hop (mainly new) such as Big Sean, Gambino, OFWGKTA, Meek Mill, etc.

I am using an iPod Touch 4th gen and a majority of my songs are 320 kbps.

After searching for some cans yesterday, I came across these two but I'm hoping I may find something better:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM30-ATH-M30-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00007E7C8/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk
ir

http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HARX700-Precision-Sound-Headphones/dp/B0013OWPV4
ir

Thank you.

Monoprice 8323 with Beyer headband for extra comfort

$28 + $10 = $38

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #17,632 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey,

I guess he likes bass heavy. Audio Technica PRO700MK2 ($199), Ultrasone HFI 580 ($150-$189), Sennheiser HD 25 (on-ear. $199), Beyerdynamic DT770-PRO 32 ($249, but definitely worth it). These my fav bass head headphones. Do not get ATH M50! Had them and did not like them.

Did you have the original M50 or the newer version? I heard that they changed the sound on the newer ones and made them more neutral.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #17,633 of 29,490
Hello, I'll just cut to the chase.

Give me a suggestion for some good sounding, neutral, accurate, all around, open headphones for under $200 dollars. With good price to performance ratio, as well.

I have no amp, but do have an iPad 2, a four year old MacBook Pro, and some Realtek thing on my PC's motherboard.

The Sennheiser HD 558 seems good, from what I've read, but doesn't seem to be that good for the price.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #17,635 of 29,490
Hello i was looking at a post on the beyerdynamic Dtx 710 and a couple other reviews. They say these cans are the bee's knees and his legs. Especially for 65 bucks. They were described with bright highs which is one quality i am looking for in contrast to my recently aquired sennheiser hd 380's. I read another review just thrashing them as well which made me skeptical..... I just cant seem to find much info on these anywhere. Thanx.

Nobody? Anybody?..... Pleeeeez help.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #17,636 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi All,

I am having a bit of a dilema.  I currently have grado SR80i and HD25-1 II.  I mostly listen to HD25.  I do not even listen to the grado because it is horrible for classical.  I listen to all types of music and want a phone that plays all types very well.  I have searched the forums extensively but so many opinions that I cannot decide what to try.  I want to do a decent step up.  Under $1000 for phones.  Here is the rest of my criteria if you could help.

1.  Home use
2.  Could be open or closed
3.  Very good in all genres but excels especially in rock
4.  Pairs well with an amp
5.  Recommendations on amp to pair with the suggested phones. 

I have been looking for 2 months now and cannot decide.  I have been leaning towards the LCD-2 but not sure I would get the punch from rock music.

Sincerely,
Larry

At this price level, you should be posting your inquiry in the Summit Fi section of the forum.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #17,638 of 29,490
Quote:
Nobody? Anybody?..... Pleeeeez help.

Don't think many have heard that headphone. I will say that they likely do have bright highs as other Beyer cans I've tried have been a bit bright. However, there are many other great cans within a similar price range that many people like, so it's hard to give any advice for this beyer which hasn't gotten much attention. If you want bright, you could look into Grado. They are open and on-ear which can turn some people off. I think I saw someone selling a used Grado SR60i (low end SR series) on the forums for $45 if you want to give them a try. You could also look into the Koss ProDJ100 for $50, or the Superlux 668b/Samson SR850 also around $50-$60

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #17,639 of 29,490
Greetings all,

I've got a little free cash to spend (~$200) and I'm trying to decide what would be the best path to head down.  I just recently made my first steps into higher end audio and picked up a pair of AKG K240s.  I've really enjoyed them so far (not so much their customer service but that's an entirely different story).  I also have a pair of Incipio F38s (rebranded FA-004 I believe) I use at the office for noise isolation reasons.  I have yet to commit to reripping all of my CDs at a higher quality but that's on the to-do list and doesn't really require any more money. So... I am trying to decide where the $200 could best be spent.

To review, I have AKG K240 and the Incipio F38s.  I tend to use the AKGs at home running straight out of my desktop computer (RealTek onboard audio) and the F38s at work out of a Macbook Pro through a FiiO E5.  I'm guessing the E5 is unnecessary and probably doesn't do much anyway other than give a small bass boost when required and also provide inline volume control.

Would these headphones benefit from a DAC/amp combo?  I've looked into the FiiO E10, the Audioengine D1, the HeadStreamer, iBasso D7, the NuForce uDAC and pretty much any other DAC/amp combo that I saw mentioned often in this price range.  Or would I be better off trying out another headphone just to get more of a feel for different sound signatures, companies, etc?  As far as music I'll listen to just about anything but I guess I tend to listen to more rock, country, and electronic than anything else.  I do game quite a bit on the home computer (mostly FPS), but so far the sound there hasn't been much of a concern.  It also seems that in that realm you're picking gaming or music but not really both (as I did look into sound cards as well.. but I figured a DAC/amp might be able to do double duty at home & the office).

The E10 was tempting at it's price, but I've read some thoughts that it doesn't make much noticeable difference.  My fear is that if I spent too little $$, I'll just end up spending more on something else in a short amount of time. 

Sometimes the internet makes it too easy to get overwhelmed with opinions and really confuse yourself!  ..and here I am asking for more.  Ha.  At least this method is a little more direct and specific.

TL;DR version: I've got a couple headphones, but nothing super expensive.  Wondering if there's more value in getting a DAC/amp at this point, or if I should just buy another pair of headphones and try out some more sounds.

Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back