++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 7, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #17,566 of 29,490
@Empire1

You will definitely hear a difference in sound quality going from the QC15s to either Denon model. Both of them, along with many of the others on your list, will uncover another layer of the music that isn't found on the QC15s or other lower end phones.

As I suggested earlier it may be worthwhile to invest in a DAC/amp to compliment the headphones that you choose. Simply put, an amp will provide power so that the headphones can play at audible (or very loud) volume. A DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) works like a sound card to process the music and send it in a format that your headphones will be able to play. Both amps and DAcs can be colored like headphones, meaning that they can do better at processing certain frequencies and when they output the signal it may not be exactly like the signal that was input.

iPods generally don't have the best onboard DACs/amps, so a lot of people will recommend that you get something that you can use with your iPod. My experience is that out of my iPhone compared to the computer jack, and especially out of my HRT Headstreamer DAC, the sound changes in my Denon D5000. While I do not have a really refined ear, I tend to pay attention to the lower frequencies as I am a bit of a basshead. With the cleanest signal the bass notes sound distinct and there is a clear sense of definition in each one, however, as my source gets worse, the definition lessens and the bassy sounds a bit boomy. he differences are slight, but because I've heard many different headphones in the past 6 months, and because I've grown used to the sound from my DAC, I can tell that the quality is slightly compromised.

If you get one of the Denons (I know this is true for the D2000, also fairly sure the D600 is similar in this regard), you do not need an amp as the impedance for the D2000 is 25ohms (quite low) and the sensitivity is 106db. The impedance levels are also flat throught the spectrum so increase the power will not help in any particular area of sound frequency. Here is an example of the D2000 and the Sennheiser HD598 with a graph of their impedances.

While the HD598 are rated with an impedance of 50 ohms which is also pretty lower, they have a spike in the bass that requires power to properly produce those frequencies.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that you don't need an amp for the Denons. A DAC however, is a very wise investment. You will have enough power for the headphones, but the DAC will give you a cleaner signal. Even the budget cheapies will improve upon the iPod. Something like the FiiO E7 with a FiiO L3/L9 Line-out dock to hook your iPod up to it would work. The E7 is a decent performer, but there may be a few better options in a similar price range. The E7 is portable so it will be nicely compatible with your iPod. You can ask around/do some research for additional options.

Regarding the bass between the Denons, I have not heard the new D600, and as someone else mentioned, they are very new so few have really heard them. It might also answer your earlier question from your original post about the price dropping to $400 again soon, which I would say it is hard to know, but likely not. The D2000 are know as basshead cans, but they are very different than the Beats you've tried. It does not overemphasize the mid bass (~100-200hz) but instead has solid punch and extends down very low into subwoofer territory of the subbass. These are the frequencies that will really shake your head. Here is the frequency response graph which will give a general impression of the sound signature.

I do think that the D2000 are a nice headphone and a great first step into headphone land. Hopefully my rambling has helped you and not confused you more 
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #17,567 of 29,490
Quote:
Just a heads up, I doubt you'll be able to sell the Bose for that high. New Bose QC15 sets cost $299 right now on Amazon.

Agreed, current low price on Amazon is $235, with most sitting aroun $250. Plus you have to factor in ~8% in fees so your budget is likely $200-$250 based upon your initial math.

Quote:
I couldn't read this entire thread, so I'll just explain my situation here. 

I was recently exposed to the world of serious audio - I had bought into the Bose marketing and purchased a pair of QC15's about four years ago. I thought they were incredible, until I recently heard some Grado SR80i's at the local electronics store. The difference was day and night - so here I am. 

I plan on selling my Bose headset for about $260-280, as they are in like-new condition and already broken in (1,000 hours+). With these proceeds, I plan on buying some hi-fi quality headphones and an amp to drive it. 

My audio sources include an iPod Video (30GB, 5th Gen), Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and MacBook Pro (2011) which play 44KHz 1411kbps AIFF files. 

What are the best amp/DAC + headphones combo that I can get for approximately $300? I plan on using them at home, so open air headphones are OK. However, I would prefer for the DAC/amp to be battery powered. 

Sound quality is more important to me than trivialities such as comfort. 

Thanks for the help everyone! 

A couple of my favorite headphones within your range would be the Shure SRH940, Sennheiser HD598. Both benefit from a little amping, and you would likely have to settle with something lower end for now (liek the FiiO e11) in order to come in within the budget. The E11 would also add a bit more bass which both of these cans are a bit light on anyways. The HD598 is great for classical and decent with indie, and some rock. It performs other genres well too, but I would say those are its strengths. They are also amazingly comfortable which is nice even if you don't care about comfort 
wink.gif
. The Shure 940 is know for its detail and really shines with vocals, particularly female. Perform very well all around (with the exception of hip-hop or dubstep) but truly shine with anything with a female voice.

Another option might be the the Grado SR225i. I have not heard them, but since you obviously enjoyed the Grado sound on the SR80i, it would make sense that a model 2 steps above would work nicely. You would once again be looking in the sub $100 range for a DAC/amp though an amp wouldn't be as critical with the Grados. You should be able to dig around for some recommendations on budget DACs/amps to make the best decision.

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #17,568 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello again. I am still trying to figure out what source I should choose. I have Beyerdynamic DT880/250 and Cambridge Audio 540A-B amplifier. I am looking for a good cheap CD player with integrated DAC. I would be happy if it could be sub 100$ mark, but feel free to suggest anything up to 300$. I would like to see these things - it has to be able to read CDs and DVDs and it should have a remote control (but I can survive without it). Suggestions? Price wins over quality here.

This is probably not a good place for your question--as it has nothing to do with headphones.

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #17,569 of 29,490
Quote:
Fortunately, price is not an issue for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
My family is giving the pair to me as a gift.
Anyways, now my question is will I really hear a significant, huge difference in sound between the D600/D2000s and the QuietComfort15s?
And also what about an amp? Can I just source it simply from my iTouch?

You will probably want to follow this thread on the new Denons:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620938/new-denon-music-maniac-line-ah-d600-ah-d7100-appreciation-thread/240

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #17,570 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay I'm going to ask a completely amateurish question - is there a crash course thread for what amps are?
I'm still not sure what they exactly are or how they work.
And also, what kind of amp would you recommend to me if I used the Denons?

An affordable desktop amp/dac that works very well with the  old (Fostex made D2000, 5000 & 7000) is the HiFiMan EF2A.  It's a bit too soon to know about the new line.

Aug 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #17,571 of 29,490
Quote:
I couldn't read this entire thread, so I'll just explain my situation here. 

I was recently exposed to the world of serious audio - I had bought into the Bose marketing and purchased a pair of QC15's about four years ago. I thought they were incredible, until I recently heard some Grado SR80i's at the local electronics store. The difference was day and night - so here I am. 

I plan on selling my Bose headset for about $260-280, as they are in like-new condition and already broken in (1,000 hours+). With these proceeds, I plan on buying some hi-fi quality headphones and an amp to drive it. 

My audio sources include an iPod Video (30GB, 5th Gen), Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and MacBook Pro (2011) which play 44KHz 1411kbps AIFF files. 

What are the best amp/DAC + headphones combo that I can get for approximately $300? I plan on using them at home, so open air headphones are OK. However, I would prefer for the DAC/amp to be battery powered. 

Sound quality is more important to me than trivialities such as comfort. 

Thanks for the help everyone! 

Grados and Alessandros don't need an amp.  If you like the Grado sound signature, get the Grado SR 225i or Alessandro MS2i.

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #17,574 of 29,490
Quote:
Sounds as though you should check out some planars like the HiFiMan HE-500 ($700) or Audeze LCD-2 ($1,000).

Quote:

Second the ortho recommendation. The HE-6, HE-500, and LCD-2 have nonexistent grain and can move a lot of air, resulting in very realistic mids and lows. They are also a bit more forgiving than the dynamics in the same price bracket. I went with the HE-6 since it has the best treble and clarity of the three, but some find it fatiguing.

They love amps that can provide a lot of watts at low resistance, with the LCD-2 and HE-500 having significantly lower power requirements than the HE-6.

I will have to see if I can try those two then. I have heard good things about the HE-500 in particular, but worryingly they are the same things I hear about the W5000s. Fantastically extended bass, but maybe a bit recessed. The Ultrasone Pro 900s piqued my interest though, but I don't know if they would actually be an upgrade. Somehow the HD 495s just incredibly good phones for the money, very hard to beat.

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #17,575 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks,

I looked into a Cmoy to begin with since it was another DIY option, but the Amp Shootout thread seemed to suggest that the E11/E17 were decent amps as well.

I'll keep looking into options since I'm still on the fence with the headphones.. Anyone have suggestions for $100-$250 for headphones for EBM/Melodic Metal?

I trust you were not reading this shootout thread where the writer clearly preferred the JDS cmoy to the e11.  I also confirmed the superiority of the JDS against the E11 at the Westone factory get together last summer.  Especially when you swap in the 8620 chip, the cmoy just is so much more impressive.  Other threads of e17 owners have noted the amp side of the device to be the Achilles heal of the e17.  Not trying to pick on the fiios as they do make good cheap stuff, but when other things sound much better and for about the same $ I think people should know about them and try to hear to form their own opinion.

Good luck with the search

Here is another pov http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/2/

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #17,576 of 29,490
Quote:
If you buy from an authorized dealer, you get the warranty--at least in the U.S.  In my experience Amazon is good at addressing any problems you have shortly after purchase--even from third party sellers.  I guess all of that is better than buying from person "X".

Warranty is real important in my experience.  Great support from Shure.  I owned and needed to have mine serviced under warranty and they sent me a brand new pair.

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #17,579 of 29,490
Hi all,

I've just picked up my first headphone amp and DAC (NFB-5.2) and thinking about new open cans now that power isn't an issue. I have the AD900s at the moment and love their spacious presentation and detail retrieval, but I'd like more bass presence. I like a fairly neutral and accurate sound, but definitely lean towards energetic and fun so long as detail and staging stay strong. Any recommendations for an open can that fits this description under $500?

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #17,580 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,
I've just picked up my first headphone amp and DAC (NFB-5.2) and thinking about new open cans now that power isn't an issue. I have the AD900s at the moment and love their spacious presentation and detail retrieval, but I'd like more bass presence. I like a fairly neutral and accurate sound, but definitely lean towards energetic and fun so long as detail and staging stay strong. Any recommendations for an open can that fits this description under $500?

Senn HD 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back