++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #17,476 of 29,490
Quote:
not a bass head, so that's not a problem. i think any headphone would give me more bass than the AD-700, and that'd be fine. i enjoy the punch the PortaPros can deliver and i know for sure those aren't bass heavy.

so do you have any recommendation based on the information i've given?

I'd be happy to try, but to do so I need to know:

What's your budget?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an upgraded amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #17,477 of 29,490
Quote:
I'd be happy to try, but to do so I need to know:

What's your budget?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an upgraded amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

$500
Fiio E09K + E17 at home and E17 on the go.
Mostly 320 kbps MP3, light gaming, light movie watching.

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #17,478 of 29,490
Hey guys, I kinda need your help. I'm upgrading from an SR80i, which I love. I intend to spend $400, included in the price would be the Fiio E17, so that leaves me with something like $260 for headphones. I like the lively, detailed and fun sound of the Grado, but they get uncomfortable in an hour and I have to take them off, so I'm afraid the SR225i or SR325is would be a LOT worse.

I believe that a Grado sound with more soundstage and comfort would be what I want. If you think I can get a more expensive headphone, say around $350 and spend the rest on a lesser amp like the E7 it's ok too. Thanks a lot!

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #17,479 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I kinda need your help. I'm upgrading from an SR80i, which I love. I intend to spend $400, included in the price would be the Fiio E17, so that leaves me with something like $260 for headphones. I like the lively, detailed and fun sound of the Grado, but they get uncomfortable in an hour and I have to take them off, so I'm afraid the SR225i or SR325is would be a LOT worse.

I believe that a Grado sound with more soundstage and comfort would be what I want. If you think I can get a more expensive headphone, say around $350 and spend the rest on a lesser amp like the E7 it's ok too. Thanks a lot!

There is nothing that sounds like Grados.  The closest I know is the outstanding (but discontinued and now hard to find at $400 +) Sony MDR-SA5000.  That said, the more easily found SA3000, which uses the same drivers but is more fragile, can be had for about $170.  Of the cans still in production, the Ultrasones (to my ears) sound the most like the Grados (but with more bass).  Check out the Pro 750, which will need an amp.  Don't know which portable amp will best work with it, as I only own desktop amps.

I will add that the 225 and 325 use different ear pads than the 80, so they might work for you.

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #17,480 of 29,490
Quote:

There is nothing that sounds like Grados.  The closest I know is the outstanding (but discontinued and now hard to find at $400 +) Sony MDR-SA5000.  That said, the more easily found SA3000, which uses the same drivers but is more fragile, can be had for about $170.  Of the cans still in production, the Ultrasones (to my ears) sound the most like the Grados (but with more bass).  Check out the Pro 750, which will need an amp.  Don't know which portable amp will best work with it, as I only own desktop amps.

I will add that the 225 and 325 use different ear pads than the 80, so they might work for you.

Yeah, I saw the Pro 750 and the HFI 2400, they look like a good option. Is the Pro 750 better than the HFI 400? they have the same price on amazon. However, I really prefer open cans, cause I will use them at home and I need to know when someone calls out my name. Does anyone know a place in LA to try out Grados btw?

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #17,481 of 29,490
Quote:

Yeah, I saw the Pro 750 and the HFI 2400, they look like a good option. Is the Pro 750 better than the HFI 400? they have the same price on amazon. However, I really prefer open cans, cause I will use them at home and I need to know when someone calls out my name. Does anyone know a place in LA to try out Grados btw?

I've never the heard the 400  However based on its model number and "HiFi" designation, I would guess that they are several steps down form the other two.

Further the 400 is a discontinued model.  The current low end offering is the 450.

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #17,482 of 29,490
Quote:

$500
Fiio E09K + E17 at home and E17 on the go.
Mostly 320 kbps MP3, light gaming, light movie watching.

Maybe you should just go with one headphone--perhaps the Beyerdynamic DT 1350.

See: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/awesome-beyerdynamic-dt-1350

Aug 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #17,483 of 29,490
Quote:

You may want to try the G-Cush pads on your Grados. If not, as KG Jag pointed out nothing sounds quite like Grados. At least that's what I've read. But in that price range and for what you're going for I think the HD600 is worth looking into. It can be had for $300.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #17,484 of 29,490
Quote:

You may want to try the G-Cush pads on your Grados. If not, as KG Jag pointed out nothing sounds quite like Grados. At least that's what I've read. But in that price range and for what you're going for I think the HD600 is worth looking into. It can be had for $300.

And how about the HD-598? They seem to have more accentuated mid-range thus more similar to the Grados. Are the 600's an improvement over them or a totally different signature? I don't like how they look at all though (the 598), but that really doesn't matter, since they seem really comfortable.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #17,485 of 29,490
Quote:

And how about the HD-598? They seem to have more accentuated mid-range thus more similar to the Grados. Are the 600's an improvement over them or a totally different signature? I don't like how they look at all though (the 598), but that really doesn't matter, since they seem really comfortable.

The 598 is a very good can, but not even remotely like the Grados.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #17,486 of 29,490
Quote:

I haven't tried the 598 but from everything I've read the 600 is a decent step up and also a slightly different sound signature but not by much.

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #17,488 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From the Head Direct site:

What makes HE-400 special is:
 1)      it is 92.5DB efficient so it can be driven by virtually anything including an iPod.

While they're obviously relatively efficient they're still planar magnetics. I'm yet to try them myself but if you look at Tyll's datasheet for them, the power required for 90d BSPL is 0.33 mW which is quite high. In comparison, the 300 ohm HD600s require 0.17 and the 600 ohm Beyers are only a little higher than the HE-400 at ~ 0.45. I'm guessing the volume level would be a bit lacking plugged directly into a portable device and the sound quality probably wouldn't be up to its full potential. They would probably still sound pretty great though. :)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #17,489 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for closed, over ear headphones for listening to music on my iphone without an amp. I listen to techno, dubstep, hiphop, and rap. They cant be more than $200. Also, I'm looking for some cool models like the astro a30s or V-Moda Crossfade LP because I would like to wear these around school. The LPs are cool but I understand that they are very bass heavy. Has anyone tried them? I don't want the bass to be overpowering, I would prefer the headphones to be balanced. Do you guys know any headphones that would fit these characteristics? I understand that the ultrasones are very popular in this category. Thanks!

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #17,490 of 29,490
Hi, I'm a new comer to the Head-fi community and have been researching which headphones I should be buying to use with my computer (no dedicated sound card yet). I am hoping to spend no more than $300 on the headphones/amps. I was wondering what the best combination would be. I was originally looking at the DT990 Premium 600ohm, but that leaves me with like no money to spend on an amp. I have the DP-GA500 Sony headset/Amp. I don't think this would be enough to power them. So I would like to know that the best headphone/amp combo would be the best for the money. I would be mainly using them for FPS gaming so a good sound stage is a must. I also like some nice bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back