++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Aug 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #17,266 of 29,490
Quote:

The article's technical discussion -- correct, incorrect, or immaterial -- doesn't support its conclusions, which are based on opinions, assumptions, anecdotes, and disclaimers, such as

1. IMHO I can just say [...]
  2. Far less clear are the effects of jitter on human hearing, and its tolerability.
  3. Others point out that most people can perceive tones [...]
  4. In my personal experience, and I would dare say in common understanding [...]
  5. I also remember someone reporting [...]
  6. [...] so it is possible that jitter added some kind of veil that reduced the "digitality" of sound.

Can jitter be audible? Absolutely.

Is jitter audible in current, consumer-grade equipment? The article doesn't address the subject.

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #17,267 of 29,490
Hey guys I just have a quick question. I am considering going with headphones + a clip on mic (like the zalman one). I was wondering if the quality is as good as mics on headset's and it the mic would pick up sound from an open headphone?

Thanks! 
beyersmile.png

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #17,268 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys I just have a quick question. I am considering going with headphones + a clip on mic (like the zalman one). I was wondering if the quality is as good as mics on headset's and it the mic would pick up sound from an open headphone?

Thanks! 
beyersmile.png

It most likely won't pickup noise from an open headphone but I haven't tried it. There should be some people around here that have. If not, try asking in the video games forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/7775/video-games-discussion

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #17,269 of 29,490
Hi, Thanks for the reply, even if it was late.  :)

I'm mostly going to be using my Macbook Pro as the source.
As for why I don't want IEMs, well, I just seem to like over-ear and on-ear headphones. But maybe that's because I've had very limited experience with in-ears.

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #17,271 of 29,490
If I listen to pop (asian and mainstream), rock, alternative, blues/jazz, r&b, hip hop and music with acoustic guitars, pianos and electric guitars, what would be a good pair of headphone to bring out these aspects? If I had to pick, I'd choose to lean towards the bass slightly more, I appreciate a good punch from the bass but nothing too much. I'm looking for a headphone that is comfortable for hours of use but isn't too heavy either. I'd prefer the cable to be not as lengthy as the one that comes with the SRH840, but if need be I can just purchase a shorter one. The budget is around 200 more or less.

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #17,272 of 29,490
Ok, great thread going...I decided to pop for a pair of Beyer DT990 Pro's.  I was swayed a bit by the outstanding price at B&H.  They sound like exaclty what I'm looking for.  Thanks to everyone.

Steve

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #17,273 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks! 
beyersmile.png

Most mics won't pick up leaked noise from headphones. They're not that sensitive. I have the Antlion modmic with my Q701s and nobody ever hears what I'm listening to when using chat. I will warn, the Zalman mic has low sensitivity, it didn't work well for me so it went back. Some people praise them though, so everyone has their own view of it.

Mad Lust Envy did some reviews for mics on the first page of the gaming guide.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-28-2012-external-microphone-section-added

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #17,274 of 29,490
Alright, just picked up the HD 380 Pros from Senn, and to me they sound alright, fairly neutral with enough bass kick for me...but I do agree that they sound a bit 'boring' and that I could probably find better value. 

I intended to get the Soul SL-150 (the Ludicrous HPs) after having a chance to listen to both, but the Senns are more comfortable.

They HAVE the Philips Citiscape Uptowns at the local shop, but the demo wasn't functioning....though the comfort was quite good, and they seem to be getting great reviews. I intend to give the 380s about a week of constant use before deciding, but would like some opinions if there's anyone who has heard either.

Will be driven by my Rezound, which does a good enough job with the 380s so far. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #17,275 of 29,490
Quote:
I wanted to refine my needs. The MOST important of my needs is: The headphone must have existed for at least 5 years so that recommendation are based on fact/experience, rather than hype.

Portable
Closed
Can run off of PA2V2 or Fred_fred_2004's 3-channel cMoy
Good with Rock, Reggae and Trance
Under 500USD.

Give me 2-3 to choose from and I'll go at it.. :p

With all due respect--how many times do you insist on asking essentially the same question?  I'm counting at least three.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #17,276 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullHorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The headphone must have existed for at least 5 years so that recommendation are based on fact/experience, rather than hype.

And (again, with all due respect) this ^ is pretty silly. There are a lot of really great cans that haven't existed for more than 5 years and all of the cans being recommended in this thread are done so based on 'fact/experience' and not 'hype'.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #17,277 of 29,490
Quote:
I wanted to refine my needs. The MOST important of my needs is: The headphone must have existed for at least 5 years so that recommendation are based on fact/experience, rather than hype.

Portable
Closed
Can run off of PA2V2 or Fred_fred_2004's 3-channel cMoy
Good with Rock, Reggae and Trance
Under 500USD.

Give me 2-3 to choose from and I'll go at it.. :p

I would look at the Sennheiser HD25, Beyerdynamic DT1350, and Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A.

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #17,279 of 29,490
If I listen to pop (asian and mainstream), rock, alternative, blues/jazz, r&b, hip hop and music with acoustic guitars, pianos and electric guitars, what would be a good pair of headphone to bring out these aspects? If I had to pick, I'd choose to lean towards the bass slightly more, I appreciate a good punch from the bass but nothing too much. I'm looking for a headphone that is comfortable for hours of use but isn't too heavy either. I'd prefer the cable to be not as lengthy as the one that comes with the SRH840, but if need be I can just purchase a shorter one. The budget is around 200 more or less.

HD 25 is the best overall headphone under $200. But unless portability is a factor, it's not superlative by any sense beyond being the most balanced, or the most consistent. It is comfortable, but I've found it somewhat fatiguing during very long sessions. Bass is punchy, tight and controlled but not excessive enough to be especially gratifying. For a strictly desktop listening can, I would look at something like DT 770 PRO.

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #17,280 of 29,490
Quote:
HD 25 is the best overall headphone under $200. But unless portability is a factor, it's not superlative by any sense beyond being the most balanced, or the most consistent. It is comfortable, but I've found it somewhat fatiguing during very long sessions. Bass is punchy, tight and controlled but not excessive enough to be especially gratifying. For a strictly desktop listening can, I would look at something like DT 770 PRO.

I'm not a fan of the HD25 tbh, and since I plan on using it for hours straight, are there any options I could go for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back