++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 31, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #17,251 of 29,490
Quote:
I can't offer much in the way of suggestions for the headphones although I do know the sound sig of the 770s and they would work for your style of music.  As for the amp, a simple JDS labs cmoy would be my rec.  I have not heard anything under $100 that can beat it and you can roll opamps.

What would you recommend if I had $600 budget?

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #17,252 of 29,490
[size=9pt]I'm looking for a little advice and, depending on that advice, possibly a recommendation.[/size]

[size=9pt]I currently have a pair of Bose Triport TP-1As, and they've served my listening purposes fairly well. Recently, however, they've been broken, and I'm left with a bit of a decision; I can probably repair the Triports, and I'm inclined to do so, but I also have a little bit of extra money which I wouldn't mind spending on another pair of headphones. My question, therefore, is whether I can buy a pair of headphones which are audibly superior to the Triports with the following specifications:[/size]

[size=9pt]Music:[/size][size=9pt] I watch a lot of cinema and do bit of gaming, so that's probably my primary usage, but in terms of strictly music I primarily listen to rock and soft rock.[/size]

[size=9pt]Budget:[/size][size=9pt] I'm probably looking to spend about $125, but I have a little wiggle room (I probably couldn't comfortably see my way to spending more than 175 or so.)[/size]

[size=9pt]Feel: [/size][size=9pt] The Triports are very comfortable and around-ear, and this is extremely important to me. These will be my in-house headphones, so leakage and looks aren't important at all.[/size]

[size=9pt]Looking at: [/size][size=9pt] I was sorta feeling out the Audio-Technica AD700s, but I honestly don't know enough about headphones to do anything other than flail about and fall for flashy advertising.[/size]

[size=9pt]I've had:[/size][size=9pt]  As mentioned.[/size]

[size=9pt]I'll add, if this isn't too far outside the scope of this thread, that if I probably can't get a better listening experience than the Triports in that price range, I'd be interested in any other suggestions; is there anyplace else I could put that money that would make for a better listening experience? Keep in mind that I'm extremely new to this stuff.[/size]

[size=9pt]Thanks very much for your time![/size]

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #17,255 of 29,490
Quote:
Does anyone have experience with headphone cases. I just bought some Beyer 770s and would like something to carry them around in - they don't fit in my laptop bag...

Any suggestions?

For headphones that size I'd check the web for pilot headset cases.  They tend to be sufficiently large and affordably priced.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #17,257 of 29,490
Quote:
I hope you guys can set me on the right track for choosing some great headphones, thanks in advance. I wrote this some time ago but didn't made a choice yet. I have worked on my headphone preference and did some more research into headphones by reading a lot on Head-fi. My budget is max 100 euros, let say like 100 dollar, but can be less of course. I have made a list but it's hard for me to make a choice and maybe I have overlooked some other great headphone choices. All your advice is welcome :wink:. The Audio Technica M50 for example is no option because it costs around 150 euros (185 dollar) here. I have put prices also in US dollars for more convenient comparison.

Music genres: Ambient, Trance, Chillout, Popular music and Classical (minimal like Philip Glass). Furthermore it will be used for Youtube and other sites alike, for movies and series.
Portable: No, I will use it most of the time with my laptop.
Price range: Preferably 100 euros max (see list a bit further). This is without an headphone AMP which may be an option in the future.
Closed/Open: Closed. Don't want to wake up others or burden them with my sounds. But I have heard that some open or I don't semi-open don't leak sound also.
Headphone preference: I need that bass for trance and ambient. But too bassy isn't good either I think.And I think I enjoy a warm sound. I once heard the Sennheiser HD598 and did like that kind of sound, but I didn't listen extensively to it.
Listening time: All day long. As said I use it with my laptop.
Comfort: Very important because the headphone will be on my head most of the day.
Headphone at this time: I have at this moment USB PC headphones (Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000).

- Philips Uptown (70 euro / 85 dollar)

- Creative Aurvana Live! (55 euro / 70 dollar)

- Sony XB500 (40 euro / 50 dollar)

- Panasonic RP-HTF600 (+ Beyerdynamic ear pads) (all together around 70 euro / 85 dollar)

- Sony ZX700 (75 euro / 90 dollar)

A little kick.

Jul 31, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #17,258 of 29,490
@ChicaneBT

I am fairly new to this, but just bought some Beyer 770s and can definitely vouch for the ear pads. Incredibly comfortable. Had them for only a few days but have had no trouble listening for 6+ hours while I work.

I am also very impressed with the headphones, and if you find another 30 euros somewhere, consider them :)

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #17,259 of 29,490
Quote:
@ChicaneBT

I am fairly new to this, but just bought some Beyer 770s and can definitely vouch for the ear pads. Incredibly comfortable. Had them for only a few days but have had no trouble listening for 6+ hours while I work.

I am also very impressed with the headphones, and if you find another 30 euros somewhere, consider them :)

I want a job where I can listen to music for 6 hours a day.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #17,260 of 29,490
Quote:
[size=9pt]I'm looking for a little advice and, depending on that advice, possibly a recommendation.[/size]

[size=9pt]I currently have a pair of Bose Triport TP-1As, and they've served my listening purposes fairly well. Recently, however, they've been broken, and I'm left with a bit of a decision; I can probably repair the Triports, and I'm inclined to do so, but I also have a little bit of extra money which I wouldn't mind spending on another pair of headphones. My question, therefore, is whether I can buy a pair of headphones which are audibly superior to the Triports with the following specifications:[/size]

[size=9pt]Music:[/size][size=9pt] I watch a lot of cinema and do bit of gaming, so that's probably my primary usage, but in terms of strictly music I primarily listen to rock and soft rock.[/size]

[size=9pt]Budget:[/size][size=9pt] I'm probably looking to spend about $125, but I have a little wiggle room (I probably couldn't comfortably see my way to spending more than 175 or so.)[/size]

[size=9pt]Feel: [/size][size=9pt] The Triports are very comfortable and around-ear, and this is extremely important to me. These will be my in-house headphones, so leakage and looks aren't important at all.[/size]

[size=9pt]Looking at: [/size][size=9pt] I was sorta feeling out the Audio-Technica AD700s, but I honestly don't know enough about headphones to do anything other than flail about and fall for flashy advertising.[/size]

[size=9pt]I've had:[/size][size=9pt]  As mentioned.[/size]

[size=9pt]I'll add, if this isn't too far outside the scope of this thread, that if I probably can't get a better listening experience than the Triports in that price range, I'd be interested in any other suggestions; is there anyplace else I could put that money that would make for a better listening experience? Keep in mind that I'm extremely new to this stuff.[/size]

[size=9pt]Thanks very much for your time![/size]

Because your primary usage is going to be for movies and gaming, you will want a headphone that has a large soundstage so it feels like the sounds are surrounding you and not in your head. You may also want something with nice bass extension and some impact so that when there are explosions or other action scenes or deep ominous music, then you can get the full ambiance. The AD700s are known to be very nice for gaming, however, they are very bass light so they may lack the lows when watching movies or listening to some music. As for comfort, I do not have any personal experience with them, so I don't know how they feel.

I would recommend you check out a couple different headphones in varying price ranges.

Cheapies (under $60):
Pannasonic HTF600 (with DT250 velour pads purchased separately)
Superlux 668b or Samson SR850 (same headhpones but rebranded)

Mid (Under $100):
Creative Aurvana Live! (CAL!)

Top of Budget:
Sennheiser HD558
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm

All of the above are excellent options that will be very comfortable and all have exceptional audio quality. If you do not like a lot of bass, then the HTF600, DT770, and possibly the CAL! may not be right for you. In my opinion the most comfortable phones would be the Sennheisers with the Beyers in 2nd.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #17,261 of 29,490
Quote:
The other day I got some Sony MDR XB700s to go alongside my Grado 225s. Essentially I wanted something ‘opposite’ to the Grados, and I think that’s what I got, more or less. I like the Sonys, however they are not perfect, they have great bass, but the mids are quiet/recessed and the highs seem to sound quite harsh, possibly even more so than the Grados.

So what would be my ideal headphone?

I would like the bass (or maybe sub bass?) of the Sonys, the deep, rumbling presence that almost creates a feeling or sense. I listen to quite a bit of ambient music and the bass here generally is not boomy, more of a constant low level drone sort of thing. Also I like the bassiness I get from them when I listen to music with drums, in particular the bass drum sound and even just the richness it adds to the sound of a piano being played.

Along with strong mids and less harsh sounding highs. I would also like a bigger ‘soundstage’ than either the Sony or Grados.

It seems that the Ultrasone 900 would fit the criteria, does that sound right?

Thanks!

Anyone?

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #17,263 of 29,490
I wanted to refine my needs. The MOST important of my needs is: The headphone must have existed for at least 5 years so that recommendation are based on fact/experience, rather than hype.

Portable
Closed
Can run off of PA2V2 or Fred_fred_2004's 3-channel cMoy
Good with Rock, Reggae and Trance
Under 500USD.

Give me 2-3 to choose from and I'll go at it.. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back