++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 31, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #17,236 of 29,490
Quote:
Aren't the Lindy just another Brainwavz HM5 clone?  If so, they are OK...and very big..and not as good as the Shure SRH 880 (but better than the 440).

Ok, I think I've decided on the Shure SRH840s, but is there anything I can do about the extremely long cable... I'm not sure it'd be the best to carry from class to class, nor walking around campus.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #17,237 of 29,490
Quote:

Ok, I think I've decided on the Shure SRH840s, but is there anything I can do about the extremely long cable... I'm not sure it'd be the best to carry from class to class, nor walking around campus.

The cable on the 840 is removable.  Check with Shure and around the web for a shorter one that will fit.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #17,238 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for:

Portable
Not 'poser' (not too big, not too flashy)
Closed
Can run off of PA2V2 or Fred_fred_2004's 3-channel cMoy
Good with Rock, Reggae and Trance
The best between 250-500USD.

Quote:
 Ultrasone Pro 750.  If these are too big and uncool, the HiFi 780 is smaller, cheaper ($150 to $160 at last check on Amazon) and does not need an amp.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that you still stand by the Ultrasone Pro 750 even after I raised the budget from 300USD to 500USD. However, that's the only headphone I was recommended so far. Are there no other worthy headphones in this category?

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #17,239 of 29,490
Quote:

For your genre's the HD 650 or HiFiMan 400 seems to be very good fits.  The HD 600 is a good can and very neutral--maybe too neutral for your intended uses.  The DT 990 has a "V' shaped EQ with recessed mids.

The cheapest I can find the HD 650 to Canada is $485, after shipping, tax and custom fees. I doubt I could get an amp worthy of those headphone with $115. I can't even find a store that'll ship the HiFiMan headphones to Canada, but I'm not even sure if they'd be within my budget either.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #17,240 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that you still stand by the Ultrasone Pro 750 even after I raised the budget from 300USD to 500USD. However, that's the only headphone I was recommended so far. Are there no other worthy headphones in this category?

You can always go with the Sony MDR 7520 or MDR-Z1000.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #17,241 of 29,490
Quote:
The cheapest I can find the HD 650 to Canada is $485, after shipping, tax and custom fees. I doubt I could get an amp worthy of those headphone with $115. I can't even find a store that'll ship the HiFiMan headphones to Canada, but I'm not even sure if they'd be within my budget either.

I think your fellow Canadians who know your market and tax structure need to jump in.

Jul 31, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #17,242 of 29,490
Hey everyone, first post here after lurking around for a bit and trying to decide what type of headphones I should get. I keep running into a dilemma where I am unable to find anything with a microphone that is going to fit my price range without putting me over budget for buying something like a mod mic (which seems to be unavailable anyway at this time).

Basically, what I'm looking for is something tuned for music that has a microphone to communicate with teammates on.

90% of the time when I game, I am listening to music at the same time with the in-game noises lowered so gaming sound quality doesn't really matter that much to me. Heck, my computer doesn't even have a 5.1 or 7.1 capable sound card anyway.

So heres what i am looking for and hopefully I can get some help.

-Comfortable for long duration.
-Great for music (listen mostly to electronic, older rock, rap/hip-hop, and a little bit of country mixed with a little bit of pop. I would assume being that most my music is electronica (Dubstep, trance, techno etc) and rap/rock that bass highs and mids are all going to be important)
-Needs to have a microphone. This has been the main problem due to most the headsets out there with microphones being tuned towards gaming and me having no clue if their stereo sound quality would be decent for music. (Looked at thing such as Logitechs G35 and 395(How well do these perform for music in Stereo mode if anyone knows?) as well as some Razer/Themeltake/Gamescon products) If whatever you suggest doesn't have a mic on it, possibly you can suggest one that i can use with the headset as well that won't put me over budget.
-Budget. I'm looking at 25(meh) - 125ish. 125 would mean that it is great musically as well as has a microphone and great comfort. Basically the creme de la creme.
-Would prefer Closed for the isolation type feel.
-Over the Ear headphones as well, something that is going to go around my ears and be comfortable. 

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me considering that I have been using the same old HP Stereo headset ($35 dollar walmart headset) over the last years and it always breaks on me. I've bought multiple of them and they always break on me. Been trying to find a replacement for a good time now and still can't manage one. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #17,244 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello :)

This thread is looking like a mess (huge recommendation threads tend to not work) but Ill post anyways:

Music genres: Hip-hop. Only thing I listen to.
Price range:  Technially I dont have one. Obviously Im not going to carry around 500 dollar headphones around with me either in a public/street enviroment.
Portable: Yes. Without a question they have to be portable
Closed/Open: Open. I perfer open as its more comfy than having your ears surrounded. I dont care if it leaks sounds as that doesnt affect me.
Looks: Around the neck.  I listen to a lot of music a lot of hours during the day.
Miscellaneous: I like bass in my hip-hop and very loud volumes BUT the most important thing would be that the artist's voice (vocals) is completely clear and understandable.  Also please comfortable as there are some around the neck that you have to "stretch" before your body gets use to them.
Looking at: Sennheiser PMX 90, Siberia Neckband Headset
Had: Grado iGrado, Sennheiser PMX 60

I want to order ASAP as I like being with music very much and Im going to be at least a week without it (no headphones) because of shipping.

rap? grado?.. Ultrasone Pro x50, beyers dt 770 pro, 990 pro adn aiaiai tma 1.. sorry i noticed ''portable'' now you just ignore beyers. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #17,245 of 29,490
I'm looking for a new set of headphones that would be great for me!

Music: I mainly listen to rap, vocal trance, and kpop.

Budget: I'd say around $200 for the headset itself, I'm probably going to go cheap on the amp so I won't want headphones that require a very good amp.

Feel: I'd like to have a comfortable headset that I can wear for quite a while gaming, and being on the computer. They definitely have to be closed and they have to be over my ears instead of pressing against them like the Siberia v2s.

Looking at: I'm currently looking at the Beyerdynamic 770s 250ohms and think that they'd be a great fit but I'm looking for more options.

I've had: I've had the Sennheiser 595s, they were a great headset but one of the ear pads ripped and the open back design allowed my parents to hear all the naughty things going on in VOIP. I'm using the Siberia v2s currently they are pretty comfortable but make my ears sweat after extended use.

It would be great if you guys could list some amps to go with these headphones. I'm willing to spend around 50-75 on the amp.

Edit: Also it would be nice if you could give me another suggestion as if I had like a $600 budget. This would include amp, dac, headphones. 

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #17,246 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay, so I posted earlier in this thread about something different, but have come across a new issue. 

The tips of my earbuds keep coming off in my ear.

So long story short, I would like some cheap, portable headphones for use with my ipod,
isolation and comfort being the key factors. I DO have a Fiio E6, so having to give a little power
boost is no issue, but the cheaper they are the better, since I do plan on working on the rest 
of my setup shortly.

Looking at panasonic and sony mostly, as those are brands I can find a lot in nearby shops.

oops, nevermind

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #17,247 of 29,490
Quote:

I meant there are tons of DACs reviews, but very little on the CD player front. I could hook it into the E17 through SPDIF. I am also looking at one used CA Azure 540A so that might be better (coaxial/optical).

I did not see the 3.5mm spdif input.  Seems rather strange, I have never seen a spdif input that was not bnc or rca phono.  On to the cd player.  Hum, when I google azure 540a it comes up as an amp.

I hate to say this but I think you are best off looking at a used cd player.  Had on over to audio asylum and search for best bang for the buck cd player form about 5-10 years ago.  They should be priced at $100 or so.

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #17,248 of 29,490
Quote:

A CD player reads bits from a shiny disc and delivers them at ~150kBps. This is easy and consumer equipment capable of performing this task reliably has been available since the 1980's. If one "transport" delivers the same bit-stream as another, there can be no sonic difference.

However, the choice of DAC, amplifier, and headphones are a different issue.

Don't come to my house talkin' that trash!  There is lots more to it than that.  LOL 

In all seriousness, take a moment to see why digital has been the curse ever since it was promised to be the audio savior and why the great engineers are still trying to get it right.

Start your education here:  http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diginterf1_e.html

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #17,249 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for a new set of headphones that would be great for me!

Music: I mainly listen to rap, vocal trance, and kpop.

Budget: I'd say around $200 for the headset itself, I'm probably going to go cheap on the amp so I won't want headphones that require a very good amp.

Feel: I'd like to have a comfortable headset that I can wear for quite a while gaming, and being on the computer. They definitely have to be closed and they have to be over my ears instead of pressing against them like the Siberia v2s.

Looking at: I'm currently looking at the Beyerdynamic 770s 250ohms and think that they'd be a great fit but I'm looking for more options.

I've had: I've had the Sennheiser 595s, they were a great headset but one of the ear pads ripped and the open back design allowed my parents to hear all the naughty things going on in VOIP. I'm using the Siberia v2s currently they are pretty comfortable but make my ears sweat after extended use.

It would be great if you guys could list some amps to go with these headphones. I'm willing to spend around 50-75 on the amp.

Edit: Also it would be nice if you could give me another suggestion as if I had like a $600 budget. This would include amp, dac, headphones. 

I can't offer much in the way of suggestions for the headphones although I do know the sound sig of the 770s and they would work for your style of music.  As for the amp, a simple JDS labs cmoy would be my rec.  I have not heard anything under $100 that can beat it and you can roll opamps.

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #17,250 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking to spend $100-$150.

Looking for:
Comfort - This is very important to me.  I will be wearing these a long time.
No leakage
Good Bass - I don't want any with weak bass but it doesn't have to be a super basshead can. 

I listen to Rock/Alternative/Dubstep/Elec.  I also game a lot.

Some I have been looking at but not sure on (new to good headphones):
ATH-M50 - comfort is a concern
Beyer DT 770 80 - A bit over my price range plus I might need an amp? 
HFI 580 ?
Ultrasone DJ1 PRO ?
Any other recommendations???

Quote:
r u open to looking into in ears? or r u strictly looking for closed headphones?

I prefer closed headphones.  I wouldn't mind owning a nice pair of in ears to go along with the closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back