++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 30, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #17,131 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a Audio-Technica ATH-M50s/le 50th Anniversary limited edition cans and I'm finding it lacking on the bass punch side. I've read some threads stating that the ATH-M50s or coiled version packs a heavy bass punch. Can anyone confirm that?

I've paired the m50s/le with the Fiio E6 and it does improve the bass but not as much as I thought. 

Therefore, I'm looking for a pair of headphones that have a better bass punch that the ATH-M50s/le. My usual music genres are dubstep, trance, electro and the occasional jazz, mainstream, etc. 

Need some recommendation here! 

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #17,132 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a Audio-Technica ATH-M50s/le 50th Anniversary limited edition cans and I'm finding it lacking on the bass punch side. I've read some threads stating that the ATH-M50s or coiled version packs a heavy bass punch. Can anyone confirm that?

I've paired the m50s/le with the Fiio E6 and it does improve the bass but not as much as I thought. 

Therefore, I'm looking for a pair of headphones that have a better bass punch that the ATH-M50s/le. My usual music genres are dubstep, trance, electro and the occasional jazz, mainstream, etc. 

v-moda m80 or v-moda crossfade lp2 mite work =P

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #17,133 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

Sounds like you need a legit basshead can. Checkout the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm, the Ultrasone models that are in your price range, the M-Audio Q40, Sony XB700, and possibly the Denon D2000.

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #17,134 of 29,490
I am quite surprised by the lack of information about sources. I am interested in a entry-level CD player, preferably with a remote control. I am looking at Onkyo or Cambridge Audio players, but even the cheapest models seem a bit expensive for me. I am looking for something to replace a laptop as a source so I would say almost any dedicated CD player will do. It would be perfect if it was around 100$ (which is very poor, I admit). I have E17 Alpen and DT880. Listetning mainly to rock/metal music.

EDIT: By the way, I've just measured my headphone volume in dB (with a smartphone, so it's very very approximate) and it shows that my normal listening volume is only around 60 dB. Keeping ear health in mind, can I go higher than that? I am listening for about 2 hours a day.

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #17,135 of 29,490
Hi guys,

I am new to these forums but have been reading for a while now. I am planing on buying a new headset to replace my g35. I am almost 100% sure I will go with the sennheiser pc 360 since I have read great reviews about them. I would just like to hear some opinions on these from owners or people that have tried them. I will be using then for gaming as well as music. What I would like to know is how is the sound quality and if these would fit me well considering that the g35 was a little small for my ears.

Thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #17,136 of 29,490
Hello there,

I am looking for a recommendation on a pair of full-size portable head phones, to use on the tube between work.

I have some DT880s 600ohn for home, which are fantastic, but they seem impractical to take on the tube for various reasons.

So - best portable headphones for £200 or less?

All suggestions appreciated

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #17,137 of 29,490
Quote:
Are you OK with open cans (they leak sound)?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

What music genres do you plan run through these cans?

I want closed cans

I won't use an amp unless there isn't any competitor that works as good as that phone but without amp

sound signature: not very bassy, just as much bass as to note well a drum kick i.e. , nice soundstage and crips but not too much as to get fatigue 

music: As i said previously : Post-Rock, alternative Rock, progressive, experimental . I.e : Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Animal Collective

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #17,138 of 29,490
After receiving very little help (thanks a lot to those that did help) I was able to find some PMX 60s in a store. Went with those. Man they are loud and I'm waiting for the bass to break in as they sound a bit bad now.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #17,139 of 29,490
(Repost)

I currently own Panasonic HC 500 which i love for NC and sound quality.

Mostly i listen to dubstep and some TV/Movies.

No, i don't have dedicated amp, but i do have DD amp instead - sony entry level for my PC (sound via toslink) and mid-level yamaha for TV/Movies.

On PC i use EQ alot for various music.

I got my hc500 at a local store couple of years ago for $80 (what a steal!).

Although sound quality and NC is great (IMHO) the build quality is not:

- i got brocken plastic on both sides, just above the cups (fixed with electrical tape)
- one of the cup cushion has bursted and now i have to deal with foam getting out

I've tried hd598 but they weren't NC and they didn't worked for my PC setup (my PC is a bit noisy with all the fans), so NC is a must.

I've listened to QC15 - NC is awesome (better than hc500), not sure on audio quality.
Dr Dre Pro - are ok but i thought they were a bit muddy on low fq. (Not sure if those are NC though)

Currently i am leaning toward crossfade lp but i am not sure if they have NC anywhere close to hc500.

So i am looking for NC headphones that are comparable or better than HC500.

P.S. i have rather large ears but hd598 were a bit big.

P.P.S My budget is under $300.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #17,140 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I made this post in a different thread:

I am looking for headphones to game with, however I am not a competitive gamer and rarely find myself playing many multiplayer games these days. I also listen to music, but nowhere near as much as I game, I listen to metal, rock and sometimes the odd electronic track.As for the sound card, I guess I just want a card that will drive the headphones and give good sound quality.I have a budget of around £250 (Yes, I'm from the UK!) for both, but that can change if a setup out of that range is noticeably better. I will likely buy from Amazon.co.uk, unless any of you know of any UK retailers!

I've read Mad Lust Envy's guide, and it is very useful, however it still doesn't help me find a good sound card, also after reading the guide, I will probably go with the DT770 80 Ohm edition. Is this a good choice?

Thanks!

Bump :)

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #17,141 of 29,490
@clewis09:

The 770 Pro 80 is a pretty good choice as long as you are ok with it having a lot of bass. Others to look at would be the Sennheiser HD 518, HD 558, and HD 598.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #17,142 of 29,490
Looking for closed cans for traveling under 300usd. I already have a portable amp (PA2V2 and Fred_fred_2004's 3-channel custom cMoy).

I listen to rock, reggae, and psytrance - Is there a pair that can pull all 3 styles properly?

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #17,143 of 29,490
Quote:

I want closed cans

I won't use an amp unless there isn't any competitor that works as good as that phone but without amp

sound signature: not very bassy, just as much bass as to note well a drum kick i.e. , nice soundstage and crips but not too much as to get fatigue 

music: As i said previously : Post-Rock, alternative Rock, progressive, experimental . I.e : Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Animal Collective

Thanks!

Based upon your music preferences, something by Grado (or Alessandro) would probably be best. Unfortunately those are all open, but they might be a brand to try out in the future.

As for closed options you may consider the Shure SRH440 or possibly the Ultrasone HFI 780, but it may have a bit more bass. I'd check out both of those on your own to see if they sound like what you want.

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #17,145 of 29,490
Quote:
I do like my bass! 
biggrin.gif

Any other closed headphones? I don't want to disturb others otherwise I would consider the Sennheiser offerings!

As far as closed headphones go the 770 would be my recommendation for gaming. I use mine for video games quite a bit and I really like them. But there might be some other closed headphones in Mad Lust Envy's gaming headphone guide that you could look into:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-7-28-2012-external-microphone-section-added

Users who are viewing this thread

Back