++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 24, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #16,831 of 29,490
Quote:
You need to get an external DAC with a S/PDIF Toslink digital input.
and a single Toslink optical cable to connect your laptop to the external DAC.
Little Dot MK III are going for $255 (shipped) on eBay.

There is a low cost DAC on eBay, the SMSL SD-1955, $105

Thanks, Would the low cost DAC have much to say on the quality of the sound. Also could the onboard soundcard that the laptop have also "mess" up the sound to the point where usb would be a better choice?

How much up in price do i have to go to notice a differance on the dac / amp?

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #16,832 of 29,490
Quote:
How much up in price do i have to go to notice a differance on the dac / amp?

I recently got the HRT Headstreamer DAC/amp and it is a very noticeable difference from the laptop headphone jack. The bass tightens up, instruments are a bit more separated, and flaws in my audio files are revealed. I had the FiiO E7/E9 and it was nice, but the DAC portion was not up to the level of the Headstreamer. I would great;y recommend getting some sort of DAC/amp to compliment your headphones.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #16,833 of 29,490
Hello all I have been a lurker of this website for a very long time and i have decided to put some input to these forums and get what i already have been getting out of it. First off i have would like to say I am not a noob to audio and i am nearly pitch perfect and i am the person most of my good mates come to for mixing and mastering their tunes everything from jazz trios to metal and electro. i understand all the terminology. 
Anyway :) I have recently been looking at getting "Fun Headphones" as i have only before used shure srh 440's and flat response speakers for my mixing and mastering. Anyway i am looking for something that gives drum 'n' bass that wow factor, Metal that balls-to-the-wall guitar sound and classical those spine tingling highs.
Basically i am looking for a non recessed mid headphone that can be as bassy as it wants without sacrificing mid or treble and i want the treble to be dynamic and wow without it being even slightly fatiguing.

something i have heard that is simillar to my wants (not needs ;p) is the m-audio studiophile q40s  other than that i have only heard of the dt770 being close to that i also hear that the audio technica a900x is bassy without sacrificing anything else, is this true?

But please guys i can amp any headphones as i bought the emmiline predator and use both its dac and amp :)

Please recommend me a headphone that is close to my needs :) I am a basshead but also a purist (WHAT A MIX) 
PLEASE HEAD FI PIMP MY SOUND

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #16,834 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello all I have been a lurker of this website for a very long time and i have decided to put some input to these forums and get what i already have been getting out of it. First off i have would like to say I am not a noob to audio and i am nearly pitch perfect and i am the person most of my good mates come to for mixing and mastering their tunes everything from jazz trios to metal and electro. i understand all the terminology. 
Anyway :) I have recently been looking at getting "Fun Headphones" as i have only before used shure srh 440's and flat response speakers for my mixing and mastering. Anyway i am looking for something that gives drum 'n' bass that wow factor, Metal that balls-to-the-wall guitar sound and classical those spine tingling highs.
Basically i am looking for a non recessed mid headphone that can be as bassy as it wants without sacrificing mid or treble and i want the treble to be dynamic and wow without it being even slightly fatiguing.

something i have heard that is simillar to my wants (not needs ;p) is the m-audio studiophile q40s  other than that i have only heard of the dt770 being close to that i also hear that the audio technica a900x is bassy without sacrificing anything else, is this true?

But please guys i can amp any headphones as i bought the emmiline predator and use both its dac and amp :)

Please recommend me a headphone that is close to my needs :) I am a basshead but also a purist (WHAT A MIX) 

At a relatively reasonably price, consider the Ultrasone Pro 750 or 900.  For more cash, the Grado RS 1i & 2i might also interest you.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #16,836 of 29,490
Quote:

Like KG Jag said, the Ultrasones Pro series will provide the fun sound that you are looking for while still doing the other frequencies well. I think the DT770 is also a nice option but the mids are a bit recessed because it is definitely a "V" shaped sound signature.

Jul 24, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #16,837 of 29,490
Hi,

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones to be driven by my ASUS Xonar Essence One DAC.
The DAC seems to have a lot of power and the lower volume settings are already way too loud with the Sennheiser, so I'm sceptical if easy to drive headphones would be a good idea.
I mostly listen to all kinds of electronic music (but other genres as well) and prefer well defined/sharp transients but don't want to miss out on the bass (AKG k701 are lacking in bass too much for me personally, currently I'm using Sennheiser HD 25 II which aren't as well defined though).
I tend to listen to my music very analytically and seem to prefer detailed, analytical headphones.

They should have velour pads and be comfortable enough to be worn for long periods of time. I'm wearing glasses and am a bit of a short person.

For reference: currently using Sennheiser HD 25 II (lacking in mids and definition imho), using AKG k420 for portable use. I'm only listening to lossless audio formats.
I plan to try a few headphones soon but won't be able to drive them with me own setup in the shop - also narrowing down the selection would help :)

I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

regards,
urbanhusky

Edit: budget is <380€, Austrian/German shops preferred.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #16,838 of 29,490
Thank you hipster, much appreciated.

Finally, does anyone have any knowledge of "cobrasonics". They have a great reputation on ebay, and claim to be an authorized reseller of Beyerdynamic, but I can't verify that anywhere. They also claim a worldwide warranty but again I can't find details of that? I recently bought a fake set of klipsch so am being very careful...

Thanks

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #16,839 of 29,490
@urbanhusky

I am very new to this, but what you at looking for sounds very much like the beyerdynamic 880 or 990 Premium.

They are incredibly comfortable, even with glasses and are German. Amazon lists the 990s at around 350 - 400 US, so that leaves you quite a bit to get a good amp.

I have not listened to either of these phones but have spent the last week researching them - I am about to get a 770 (I need a closed headphone - 880 and 990 are open).

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #16,840 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks, Would the low cost DAC have much to say on the quality of the sound. Also could the on-board sound card that the laptop have also "mess" up the sound to the point where USB would be a better choice?

How much up in price do I have to go to notice a differance on the dac / amp?

You laptop comes with Dolby built in (Dolby headphone).
The USB connection would bypass built-in sound features, but using optical should work with built in audio.
I just bought the SMSL SD-1955 and have not tested it yet. So I'm not sure how it compares to other DACs, yet.

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #16,841 of 29,490
Quote:

I haven't heard any of those headphones, but Superlux is a very good brand that makes good sounding headphones for cheap. I had the Samson SR850 (same as Superlux 668b and it was incredible for the price. I would say research the 661 a bit more cause they may be your best bet since it is cheap.

Thanks man!

Superlux 631 will be available here in our country before the end of this month its like a big brother of Superlux 661 ..

http://www.superlux.com.tw/productInfo.do?pdctid=18341738-90a4-498e-a9ff-c336a5671481&pdkid=9ffc28bb-12a0-473e-b35f-6c03e036bc9e&level=2&lv0=1

check the link to get more information about the superlux 631 :) its gorgeous looking dj headphone!

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #16,842 of 29,490
Hey everyone. I currently have a Fiio E17 paired with Yamaha EPH-100 and VSonic GR-07 IEMs. I enjoy the sound signature on both of these IEMs for different reasons, but am looking for something similar. I have had the same headphones for years that I purchased cheap from New Egg as I dont use full size headphones quite often, Sennheiser HD202. I have recently purchased a new laptop and would like the option to use full size headphones when I want to. 

Any recommendations? I would prefer to keep the cost around $150 or lower, but will entertain costs as high as $250. Music taste is all over the board, but generally more classic rock, modern rock/alternative. I will be using them every now and then for games, but that is not my priority. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #16,843 of 29,490
Hi, ladies and gentlemen.
I will ask for suggestions in here. I'm looking for some headphones that allows me to listen to my music the way I like it. I'm new to this world of headphones and I like several kinds of music, from classical to death metal, with a lot of stuff in between, but I mainly hear rock. I really like the usage of bass (I mean the instrument, the bass guitar) in rock, and so, I love to hear it in my songs. It doesn't really matter if the bass makes you feel a vibration like when you're listening to speakers with a subwoofer. I would like some headphones in which I could hear all the instruments clearly, specially the bass 
happy_face1.gif

I know it strongly depends on the quality of the recording, but assuming that the source is good, what heaphones would help me to follow the bass in a song?

They should be on-the-ear or around-the-ear (prefereably on-the-ear), beacuase I find earbuds and in-ear uncomfortable. They should also be closed-back. I have a couple of headphones that are enough when I'm on the go, so portability would be a "pro" but not a "must". My budget is for $100. If it is really-really worth it, I could make it to 150, but not much more I guess.

What else... mmm... Just a couple of representative examples of songs in which I love the sound of the bass:

- The Mission - Severina
- Nirvana - Lounge act
- Aterciopelados - Baracunata
- Creed - What if
- Concrete Blonde - Heal it up

I also like the "bass boosts" some players give to music.

So, what do you people think??

thanks in advance. cheers to all.

Jul 24, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #16,845 of 29,490
Quote:
Since you're on a budget the Fiio E17 might be a good choice since it could double as both a portable amp and a desktop/laptop DAC and its fairly cheap.

An alternative that I think may be a better choice would be the HRT Headstreamer.  That would allow you to bypass the poor headphone out and use usb to go to the dac/amp.  Another choice would be the more expensive Audioquest DragonFly which is getting good review, although I have not heard it.  I did a review of the HRT on my blog if you wish to get some opinion on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back