++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 24, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #16,816 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I am about to get my first cans.
Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm. (will be using them for movies too)
But I need a amp and dac for it. Have a budget at about 500$ish i think. Allthough I am thinking of getting the http://www.headphone.com/packages/headroom-micro-amp--micro-dac-package.php,
The headphones will be used to watch movies, play games and listening to music in one room (does not need to be portable).
I need your help, should i go for these or do you know of a better match ?

Those offer zero surround sound for movies and gaming.
Assuming your using a windows PC? how about getting a Creative Titanium HD sound card ($118)  and something like a Little Dot MK III tube headphone amplifier ($255).

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #16,817 of 29,490
I am not sure about the dt990 vs dt880 situation.

I do like to hear the bass in a song, and thinking I will be using the headphones to watch movies (and games) the bass and soundstage is werry important.

I listen to mostly electronica, or Ratatat would be the aim. But like I said, soundstage for movies is as important as the bass is for me.

Thank you, i think i will go for the hifiman then :D.

Quote:

What sound signature do you prefer?  The DT 880 was formerly the Beyer flagship, so it immediately comes to mind in your situation.

You can get a good little desktop amp/dac like the HiFiMan EF2A for about $170 shipped.

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #16,818 of 29,490
I am using a laptop. zero? I thought the dt880 was one of the best for gaming and / or movies?

Edit: Sorry, did you mean the amp / dac?

Quote:
Those offer zero surround sound for movies and gaming.
Assuming your using a windows PC? how about getting a Creative Titanium HD sound card ($118)  and something like a Little Dot MK III tube headphone amplifier ($255).

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #16,819 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all,

I am looking for a heaphone, amp combination to listen to a fairly wide variety of music. Budget ~ 250 $. I am *reasonably* settled on the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm, with perhaps a fiio e11 amp. Ideally I would like to be able to listen from both my PC (Acer 7741, boring intel sound card) and my ipod (160Gb Classic, latest gen) but I will always have my ipod if I have my computer, whereas the reverse is not true - would prefer a better amp for ipod than a worse one for both.

Concerning the headphones, sound isolation is very important - much of my listening will be done in libraries or while travelling (hence amp for ipod not laptop).

If there are any other combinations that fulfill these requirements I would be very interested. Particularly, I considered:
e7 amp - but seems to be a bad amp and a bad dac. Prefer a good amp with no dac for now - maybe get the e10 later if I want PC connectivity
250 ohm version - still not set on this. Seem to be many conflicting reviews. Sounds like it would be better properly amped, but not sure if a e11 would be enough (think it should be) and it also would make listening unamped (from PC) impossible.

A bit about me; 
These will be my first closed circumaural headphones. Currently have klipsch s4.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

My first cans were the DT770 Pro 250 ohm. I used them straight from my laptop for awhile and then got the FiiO e7 a couple months later. Both had enough power to power the 770s, though I usually had the volume up to about 2/3 to have a nice volume and I don't listen to my music too terribly loud. I really enjoyed the sound and though they are considered very bass heavy, I really enjoyed the sound and thought that they worked well for a lot of genres, so I think you will really like them whether you get the 80 or 250 ohm. 

I recommend that you get whichever you can find for cheaper and spend the extra to get the better amp.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #16,820 of 29,490
Quote:
I am not sure about the dt990 vs dt880 situation.

I do like to hear the bass in a song, and thinking I will be using the headphones to watch movies (and games) the bass and soundstage is werry important.

I listen to mostly electronica, or Ratatat would be the aim. But like I said, soundstage for movies is as important as the bass is for me.

Thank you, i think i will go for the hifiman then :D. Though I have read that the beyer do like tubes, and also that the headroom adds to the soundstage part?

Haven't heard the DT990, but I had the 770 and 880. I think that the 990 will suit your tastes a bit more than the 880. Both will have great soundstage, maybe a slight edge to the 990 as it is fully open. The 990 will have a more fun sound, but I really enjoyed the 880 when I had them. I don't know about the lack of surround sound comment from above, but assume that both either have/don't have that issue, either choice will be good, but I think the 990 has a slight edge based upon your preferences.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #16,821 of 29,490
Quote:

Haven't heard the DT990, but I had the 770 and 880. I think that the 990 will suit your tastes a bit more than the 880. Both will have great soundstage, maybe a slight edge to the 990 as it is fully open. The 990 will have a more fun sound, but I really enjoyed the 880 when I had them. I don't know about the lack of surround sound comment from above, but assume that both either have/don't have that issue, either choice will be good, but I think the 990 has a slight edge based upon your preferences.

The 990 has the "V" shaped EQ.  If that's what you want--and the emphasized bass well beyond neutral--that's fine. 

The DT 880 is much more accurate at reproducing what was put down in the the recording.  It can be harsh on badly recorded tracks, but I can live with and even appreciate that.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #16,822 of 29,490
Quote:

The 990 has the "V" shaped EQ.  If that's what you want--and the emphasized bass well beyond neutral--that's fine. 

The DT 880 is much more accurate at reproducing what was put down in the the recording.  It can be harsh on badly recorded tracks, but I can live with and even appreciate that.

A natural sound is inportant too. Man this is so difficult!

But, I will go for the HiFiMan EF-2A (i think)

and, the info says "Output Impedance: 32-300 Ohm", should'nt I get a dac+amp that is 600ohm to fully use the headphones?
Also want to get another set of phones sometime later, so would be great to not have to change the dac + amp too.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #16,823 of 29,490
Quote:
I am using a laptop. zero? I thought the dt880 was one of the best for gaming and / or movies?

Edit: Sorry, did you mean the amp / dac?

Beyer DT880 does have a good rep for gaming.
But you have to have something that takes a game or movie's 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound signal and process it into 2-channel headphone (virtual) surround sound, and a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) does not do that.
With an external DAC and headphone amplifier and DT880, you will have great stereo (2-channel) audio for movies and gaming.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #16,824 of 29,490
OK then i will go for the dt880....

Quote:
Beyer DT880 does have a good rep for gaming.
But you have to have something that takes a game or movie's 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound signal and process it into 2-channel headphone (virtual) surround sound, and a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) does not do that.
With an external DAC and headphone amplifier and DT880, you will have great stereo (2-channel) audio for movies and gaming.

It says that my Acer Aspire 7730G does have s/pdif output, on the sound panel, also as info on the pc. But I have read some people saying this is not true :S . I cannot find the output on the laptop.
I have heard that the audio jack can be analog and digital at the same time, but not sure if this is true or if my acer have that.

I do have the analog and digital 3.5mm jack, so what do I need then? I know i need a konverter from the 3.5mm jack, But do i need to find a amp that supports S/PDIF or can i split the spif up to a L / R input? Do anyone know? also, what amp should i go for then? the Little Dot?

On another note: this is amazing, thank you all for your time and help!

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #16,825 of 29,490
Quote:

Enjoy the 880s. They are wonderful and I only sold mine because I needed some money.

Also, welcome to Head-Fi, hopefully the 880s will satisfy you otherwise you will be longing to hear what a slightly better headphone/dac/amp will make your music and movies sound like  
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #16,826 of 29,490
Quote:
A natural sound is inportant too. Man this is so difficult!

But, I will go for the HiFiMan EF-2A (i think)

and, the info says "Output Impedance: 32-300 Ohm", should'nt I get a dac+amp that is 600ohm to fully use the headphones?
Also want to get another set of phones sometime later, so would be great to not have to change the dac + amp too.

The EF2A works fine with the DT 880  (250 Ohm), and the Senn HD 600.  It won't push something like the planar HE-500.

There is not a great deal of difference in sound quality between the 250 & 600 Ohm versions.  Below that--yes.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #16,827 of 29,490
Quote:

It says that my Acer Aspire 7730G does have s/pdif output, on the sound panel, also as info on the pc. But I have read some people saying this is not true :S . I cannot find the output on the laptop.
I have heard that the audio jack can be analog and digital at the same time, but not sure if this is true or if my acer have that.

I do have the analog and digital 3.5mm jack, so what do I need then? I know I need a converter from the 3.5mm jack, But do i need to find a amp that supports S/PDIF or can i split the S/PDIF up to a L / R input? Do anyone know? also, what amp should i go for then? the Little Dot?

You need to get an external DAC with a S/PDIF Toslink digital input.
and a single Toslink optical cable to connect your laptop to the external DAC.
Little Dot MK III are going for $255 (shipped) on eBay.

There is a low cost DAC on eBay, the SMSL SD-1955, $105

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #16,828 of 29,490
So, I've almost finished my search for a new pair of headphones. It's come down to

Koss Pro DJ100 vs Superlux HD661

Both can be found for $50 on Amazon, both are closed (and don't leak sound), and both are relatively flat (not overly bass-heavy).

Which one's the better phone? For the record, neither of these will be used with an amp, and either of them will be used mainly with a MacBook Pro.

EDIT: 668B's are also an option, but I think they'd leak too much sound (semi-open)?

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #16,829 of 29,490
Quote:
So, I've almost finished my search for a new pair of headphones. It's come down to
Both can be found for $50 on Amazon, both are closed (and don't leak sound), and both are relatively flat (not overly bass-heavy).
Which one's the better phone? For the record, neither of these will be used with an amp, and either of them will be used mainly with a MacBook Pro.
EDIT: 668B's are also an option, but I think they'd leak too much sound (semi-open)?

My understanding is that the DJ100Pro really shine with an amp, so if you aren't using one, then the 661 might be the better option.

Also, I had the Samson SR850 which is the same as the Superlux 668 and it does leak sound, though a bit less than I had expected from a semi-open.

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #16,830 of 29,490
Quote:

Aren't the 661's 150 Ohms?  Will they work unamped with your computer?

I know that the the Koss is borderline with many portable unamped devices--don't know about yours though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back