++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #16,681 of 29,490
Quote:

I don't know anything about your sound card, but you will need an amp for almost all good cans in the $400 to $500 range, unless you go with the Grado/Alessandro family, Sony or the upcoming new Denon line.

The DT 990 has an unacceptable version of the "V" shaped EQ for your music types.  I have the HE-500 & DT880/770 Pro.  The HE-400 goes head to head with the Senn HD 600/650, but apparently does not scale up as well as the Senns do with better amps.

If you go with a Beyer, the classic former flagship DT 880 (+/- Pro) is an excellent choice and value.

its good for rock o.O 

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #16,682 of 29,490
Hi all, new here and new to the wide world of headphones in general - kinda.

Firstly, I've had a few pairs of phones before but began with in-ear ones.  Currently running some Soundmagic pl21s for those - I'd not really rate them that highly tbh but that's for another board at another time.

I've had a pair of Bose QC15s until recently when they were stolen from my bag and am back to my Sennheiser HD202s that I used before getting the Bose's.  Now I'm looking for something new and have narrowed it down to either, wait for it because you've ALL heard it before, the Audio Technica ATH M50s or the Bayerdynamic DT770/80 Pros.  Wow, who'd have thought I'd be asking THAT question again!

Well anyway, I'd kinda prefer the 770s over the M50s mainly due to comfort, general musical sound, gaming and the forum opinion that they seem a little bit better (if the prices were equal) but, and here's the kicker, I'd like to mod them to make the cable detachable.  Now I've read lots about modding the M50s and it seems easy-ish and there are lots of people who have done it but I've seen conspicuously little regarding modding the 770s.  Is this because there isn't room to do it?  This is probably what will clinch the deal here - though the need for a amp may also push me back to the M50s.

Any help any of you can give will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
M

Hey bro if you're looking for sound similar to the m-50 at a similar price point considered the Shure srh-840. Fantastic set of cans well built and remarkably balance. The cord is also detachable so that takes care of you're problem right there. This way you save the time and money of recableing and still get fantastic audio quality as well as build quality. it you like the idea of that check this video. Itll give you what you need to know http://youtu.be/WXEkphcVsgo

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #16,683 of 29,490
Hello!

I'm new at Head-Fi and looking for advise! Currently I got Denon AH-D2000 combined with Asus Xonar Essence STX /w new Opamps, and Im pretty happy with that. But I really want to step it up and move towards the high end market. 
Phones that I got in my mind is : LCD2, HE-500 & AH-D7000(D7100). Those are the phones that seems to be good phones for indie/electronica/house/club/pop music which is what I listen too. 

My budget is around max 2000 bucks and I dont mind buying used. Which headphones + dac/amp would you guys recommend for that sort of music?
Also, would it be smarter so save money on headphones and go for more expensive amp/dac?

Oh and I do understand that there is alot of diffrent opinions so I will go out and see if I can have a listen to them.
But Id like to get suggestions so I dont go in to a store and get robbed :p

Thank you guys!

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #16,684 of 29,490
Quote:
I've been into IEMs, such as EX1000, FX700, SM3 and UM3X, and now I'd like to consider a full sized can for no more than $600.

I have received these recommendations:
DT880/250, DT990, K701, HD800, HD650, D2000.

I like two different types of sound signatures:
1. V or U shaped
2. Mid centric

I prefer a wide sound stage, much detail, excellent imaging, extended sub bass, mid bass that doesn't bleed into the mids and extended highs w/o being sibilant.

Currently my only source is a Clip+ and an iphone 4.
I am considering an iPod Classic as source and T5 as an amp.

I would appreciate all suggestions.

Your sound signatures are basically mutually exclusive. One HP can't be both. So, you would either want two cans or two EQ settings with one set of cans. The HD800 is way out of your price range. Of the others, the D2000 has the most extended sub bass. You might look into the HFiMan HE-400. However, for $600 you should be able to get a D2000 (sub bass, slightly V-shaped) and the DT-880 (slightly mid centric).

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #16,685 of 29,490
Hi,

I tried using search, but didn't get the answer for my needs, so here is my question.
The music that I listen to is mostly Broadway tunes, and also some singers like Adele so I care about vocals a lot. I also listen to some rock from time to time. My player is an iPhone4, music is all converted to AAC.
What would you recommend? I can spend around 200$ but I don't know if it's worth it as long as I'm just listening to a lower quality compression.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #16,686 of 29,490
 I can only spend about 130 and i dont know what to get! Im looking at mostly Sennheisers 4x9 line and 518 if they are like the 558's. I have also heard very good things about the philips uptown.I really don't know weather to save up some more or just get something like the 518's that are close in quailty to the 558? I listen to really everything, I like good bass though and want really good overall sound quality. Sources are Samsung Fascinate, HP Pavilion dv7 with beats audio. Thank you please help me out!

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #16,688 of 29,490
Quote:
Pioneer Hdj2000 and the Sony XB1000 are great for bass for $300

That may explain why I am picky at choosing headphone. 
My first can is Pioneer HDJ 2000, which I gave it to my sister.
Sony XB1000 isn't ideal for me. It doesn't bring the vocal live in my head. 

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #16,689 of 29,490
That may explain why I am picky at choosing headphone. 
My first can is Pioneer HDJ 2000, which I gave it to my sister.
Sony XB1000 isn't ideal for me. It doesn't bring the vocal live in my head. 

Lol, I am picky at choosing headphones too. The Sony XB1000 is just a modded XB 500. One of my headphones are the Ultrasone HFI 580, and sound better than headphones more expensive. Also take a look at the Ultrasone PRO 900, which have awesome bass, and amazing clarity. It will be a little over $300. If don't want to spend that much, look at the PRO 750, which is almost as good as the PRO 900.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #16,690 of 29,490
 I can only spend about 130 and i dont know what to get! Im looking at mostly Sennheisers 4x9 line and 518 if they are like the 558's. I have also heard very good things about the philips uptown.I really don't know weather to save up some more or just get something like the 518's that are close in quailty to the 558? I listen to really everything, I like good bass though and want really good overall sound quality. Sources are Samsung Fascinate, HP Pavilion dv7 with beats audio. Thank you please help me out!

If you are looking at sennheiser, definitely get the HD 380 PRO! I had it, and they were really good. It's over $130, but try your best looking for the best prices possible. You may luck out and find them for $130

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #16,691 of 29,490
I would like to start to rebuild my small music collection and expand it. I am just 19 so I haven't managed to gather much, but I have a question - what will be better? Vinyls or CDs? Since it's a collection, long-term usability is my main concern. Vinyls are also slightly more expensive. What do you think?

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #16,692 of 29,490
Quote:
I would like to start to rebuild my small music collection and expand it. I am just 19 so I haven't managed to gather much, but I have a question - what will be better? Vinyls or CDs? Since it's a collection, long-term usability is my main concern. Vinyls are also slightly more expensive. What do you think?

Here's my 2 cents...

If your main use will be listening to digital files its better to get CDs and rip them as FLAC files or another lossless format. Otherwise, if you're interested in using physical mediums for your music listening then you may want to try some vinyls. Some people swear by the vinyl experience but importing vinyls into digital formats doesn't make as much sense IMO.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #16,693 of 29,490
Here's my 2 cents...

If your main use will be listening to digital files its better to get CDs and rip them as FLAC files or another lossless format. Otherwise, if you're interested in using physical mediums for your music listening then you may want to try some vinyls. Some people swear by the vinyl experience but importing vinyls into digital formats doesn't make as much sense IMO.

Personally, i would say vinyls sound slightly better in my DT880s, even though my source is a 30 years old player and it goes through E17 amp. I use computer audio a lot, that's true. I could "rip" vinyls into FLAC files as well, but I don't think it's a good idea due to many factors. Any other thoughts?

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #16,694 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi,

I tried using search, but didn't get the answer for my needs, so here is my question.
The music that I listen to is mostly Broadway tunes, and also some singers like Adele so I care about vocals a lot. I also listen to some rock from time to time. My player is an iPhone4, music is all converted to AAC.
What would you recommend? I can spend around 200$ but I don't know if it's worth it as long as I'm just listening to a lower quality compression.

I like the Shure SRH940 for great detail and vocals. They can usually be found used for $180-$200

There is also the Koss ProDJ100 which is supposed to be good for vocals and it is only $50

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #16,695 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello!

I'm new at Head-Fi and looking for advise! Currently I got Denon AH-D2000 combined with Asus Xonar Essence STX /w new Opamps, and Im pretty happy with that. But I really want to step it up and move towards the high end market. 
Phones that I got in my mind is : LCD2, HE-500 & AH-D7000(D7100). Those are the phones that seems to be good phones for indie/electronica/house/club/pop music which is what I listen too. 

My budget is around max 2000 bucks and I dont mind buying used. Which headphones + dac/amp would you guys recommend for that sort of music?
Also, would it be smarter so save money on headphones and go for more expensive amp/dac?

Oh and I do understand that there is alot of diffrent opinions so I will go out and see if I can have a listen to them.
But Id like to get suggestions so I dont go in to a store and get robbed :p

Thank you guys!

Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back