++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #16,591 of 29,490
Im looking for a headphone to keep home to use connected to my guitar amp while Im playing my guitar. Do you think I should get an open or closed headphone for that? An open one will sound a lot better but Im afraid I'll hear the noise of the strings while I'm playing. I dont know ifthats a big issue or not. Can anyone help me?

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #16,593 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: Around $250 USD.

Wanting:  A pair of headphones that can work with my Macbook Pro primarily for watching videos.  
               I sometimes listen to music.
               Movies and gaming on Macbook Pro taken into consideration, but not a priority.

Also, wanting to use same pair of headphones to work with my PS3.  

I have looked at the ATH-M50S, but from what I've read these are not recommended for gaming.  

I have read a bit about Dolby Headphone Virtual Surround.
Just what is this exactly, and what is the difference between this and Stereo?

Anyways, what would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Depends on what type of sound signature you prefer. Do you want a ton of bass, forward mids or lots of treble. Maybe something fairly well balanced?

The HD-598 is actually quite good without an external amp. Not sure about the Macbook Pro, but should be. I think they're worth $175, but not $250.

Perfect for music, gaming and movies.

Another option is the KRK KNS-8400. It uses memory foam pads and costs around $130-$150. Perfect for gaming when a closed headphone is needed. The HD-598 is fully open.

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #16,594 of 29,490
Quote:
maybe you could let us know what you like and dislike about the grados sound.  obviously the comfort sucks xD

i just feel like their is something missing about them. and they lack a LOT of bass. i dont need crazy over the top bass but i would like a little kick when needed i guess. the comfort when i first got them i couldnt stop complaining. but i actually got used to them and they dont hurt my ears or anything. but this definately will be the last time i buy on ear headphones they are just too uncomfortable to me vs. over ear headphones.

Quote:
Ultrasones might work pretty well for you. Maybe the HFI 780

yeah i heard the s-logic 550 were good are they better than the hfi 780's?

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #16,595 of 29,490
Quote:

yeah i heard the s-logic 550 were good are they better than the hfi 780's?

I haven't tried the HFI780. I used to have the DJ1 Pro and was impressed by the sound for the price point. The S-logic is interesting as it creates a fairly large soundstage on the closed cans, though it may be somewhat artificial sounding if you truly know how certain songs are supposed to sound. I've heard that the Pro series are generally a bit better than the HFI series but I don't know how the 550 would compare to the 780. Hopefully someone else can give some input.

Jul 18, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #16,596 of 29,490
Quote:
I haven't tried the HFI780. I used to have the DJ1 Pro and was impressed by the sound for the price point. The S-logic is interesting as it creates a fairly large soundstage on the closed cans, though it may be somewhat artificial sounding if you truly know how certain songs are supposed to sound. I've heard that the Pro series are generally a bit better than the HFI series but I don't know how the 550 would compare to the 780. Hopefully someone else can give some input.

The 550 is a basshead can.  The 780 has good bass presence, but is not on basshead turf.  The 780 is the little brother of the better but harder to drive Pro 750.  For good short descriptions see the buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.

Jul 18, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #16,597 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks Chris! I was looking at the Nuforce HDP. I've read a lot about the others and owned a M-Stage but was unsure if it would be able to drive the planars well. Good to know it can!

It's MUCH more powerful than the HDP. The HDP is rather odd though it powered HE-5LE's fine in my opinion with a little bit to spare.

I haven't found a better DAC to use than it though, I'll give it that. Even the Burson didn't blow me away DAC wise.

I have the money for nicer gear, but it takes the fun out of the hobby when you're just dumping money into a pit. The fun is always trying to beat my setup for a given price point and as my budget goes higher, I just do that. I've been within my price budget for about a year now, about $1200 :)

Think about it, I've been in this hobby for 5 years, if I capped out at $1200 that means I've been putting almost nothing into the hobby per year.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #16,598 of 29,490
I posted this as a new thread before seeing that I should bring it here first, whoops.......

Hey all,
  First post here.  I found y'all during my search for good headphones and after looking around for a bit it seems you guys are the best place to go for knowledgeable opinions.  I've finally decided to grow out of my skullcandy/beats/etc. phase (stupid college kid, sue me) and am looking for for a really decent set of headphones.  I will be primarily using these to listen to my vinyl collection, which is mostly classic rock, although there's a bit of classical mixed in, but really my listening covers all ranges from country to electronica.  I also want something that will sound decent when plugged into my phone, computer, etc., but again, listening to records is my main driver, I can deal with less quality when listening through another medium.  Through my searchings, and this site, I've found Grado SR60s (which seems to be a go-to first pair of phones), Alessandro MS-1s, and Sennheiser HD439s.  It seems that if I'm looking for good listen-at-home rock phones the MS-1s are the way to go.  They all are in my price range, max I'm looking to spend is about $150 (remember broke college kid).  Any thoughts or opinions on these?  Perhaps any others I've missed or overlooked?   Any and all help is appreciated, much thanks

EDIT: I'm trying to delete the original post now...

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #16,599 of 29,490
Hey i've been looking for some full sized headphones in the 200-400 range

I want something with a balanced sound with good subbass performance, they will be driven from O2/ODAC combo

Phones ive looked at
Philips Fidelio L1
Psb M4U2
Mad Dog t50rp
Ultrasone Pro900, Pro 750
Beyerdynamic Dt990,880 (600 ohm)
Sennheiser HD 650

Initially i looked at the Denon D2000 but they're not available in Sweden anymore and all prices online seem pretty high

I listen to alot of rock and electronica, also some metal

Any help is much apprieciated :)

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #16,600 of 29,490
Hello,

I am looking for an upgrade from my HFI-780s using the d4 mamba as a DAC/AMP. My criteria are:

- Similar enough to the 780s in that they excel at electronic, but good enough all around - I really liked them I just crave an upgrade
- Comfortable. One of the main reasons I want the upgrade is my ears ache a bit after long sessions.

Thanks!

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #16,601 of 29,490
I've a friend who likes country music and especially Tim McGraw.  She saw the on ear JBL McGraw series by Harmon at Walmart's website and asked me what I thought of them.  TBH I no nothing, but I told her I would look into them for her.  Has anyone here any experience with them, and if not can someone recommend a pair of on ears at the same price point for country music played from an iPhone.  Cheers!

Edit:  I also know nothing about country music except she's always left him, or he's a drunk with a bad temper...

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #16,603 of 29,490
Hi, I was wondering which pair of headphones I should get.  M50s Or HFI 780s

Sound 1/10

Bass 1/10

Comfortable 1/10

Portability 1/10

I will be using FiiO E17 with the headphones too. Will that make much of a difference?
And something else.. I heard the HFI 780s were a V sounding blah blah.. What does V mean and is V bad? And what other letters are there to describe sound?

Genre/Artists I will be listening to.
Techno
Dubstep
Chiddy Bang
Sammy Adams
Mac Miller
Matisyahu (One Day)
Jack Johnson
Foster The People
Franz Ferdinand
The Beatles
Gorillaz
Classic Rock
and some Post-Hardcore

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #16,604 of 29,490
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones, I listen to classical, rock, jazz, hip hop, electronic, choral, and pretty much everything.
The headphones I was looking at are the:
Audio Technica ath-m50
Shure srh-840
Beyerdynamic DT-880 (not the pros)

I'm also looking to buy an amp/dac combo, here's what i was looking at:
Hifiman EF2A
Audioengine D1

Which combination do you guys think works best? Any other suggestions? 

-
A headphone noob

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #16,605 of 29,490
Quote:
I posted this as a new thread before seeing that I should bring it here first, whoops.......

Hey all,
  First post here.  I found y'all during my search for good headphones and after looking around for a bit it seems you guys are the best place to go for knowledgeable opinions.  I've finally decided to grow out of my skullcandy/beats/etc. phase (stupid college kid, sue me) and am looking for for a really decent set of headphones.  I will be primarily using these to listen to my vinyl collection, which is mostly classic rock, although there's a bit of classical mixed in, but really my listening covers all ranges from country to electronica.  I also want something that will sound decent when plugged into my phone, computer, etc., but again, listening to records is my main driver, I can deal with less quality when listening through another medium.  Through my searchings, and this site, I've found Grado SR60s (which seems to be a go-to first pair of phones), Alessandro MS-1s, and Sennheiser HD439s.  It seems that if I'm looking for good listen-at-home rock phones the MS-1s are the way to go.  They all are in my price range, max I'm looking to spend is about $150 (remember broke college kid).  Any thoughts or opinions on these?  Perhaps any others I've missed or overlooked?   Any and all help is appreciated, much thanks

EDIT: I'm trying to delete the original post now...

You're on the right track with the MS-1--at least for classic rock and country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back