++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #16,576 of 29,490
Looking at the Sennheiser 4xx line right now and the 518, and 280 pro, maybe the 555. I listen to alot of well pretty much everything but i like good bass not so much where it takes a way from the headphones themselves. Also can you ask best buy if you can demo headphones?

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #16,577 of 29,490
Hey guys! I'm looking to go for a custom IEM, haven't quite decided on price range yet, certainly not some 300 dollar IEM and probably not something over 1000 either. But I've had a lot of interest in Unique Melody but from the looks of it the Merlins may be too bass heavy for me, while something like the mage may not be sufficient. Can anyone familiar with UM give me a hint at what may be a good model for me? Or any other brand with a reasonable price would be appreciated. Thanks =)

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #16,578 of 29,490
Quote:
Used Sennheiser HD558, sold on Amazon.

Or, if you're willing to mod the earpads on them, a pair of SR60s, they're $70, and hey, can't go wrong with Grado at any price range, Can't go wrong with Senn either.

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #16,579 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys! I'm looking to go for a custom IEM, haven't quite decided on price range yet, certainly not some 300 dollar IEM and probably not something over 1000 either. But I've had a lot of interest in Unique Melody but from the looks of it the Merlins may be too bass heavy for me, while something like the mage may not be sufficient. Can anyone familiar with UM give me a hint at what may be a good model for me? Or any other brand with a reasonable price would be appreciated. Thanks =)

Call them.

For the money you can't go wrong with Heir Audio 8A though under 1k. It promises to be superior to the JH13/JH16 but for the low promotional Head-Fi price of like 8 or 900 right now, you can't lose with that.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #16,581 of 29,490
Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones along with a desktop amp/dac combo. Hears the gear I was looking at:
audio technica ath-m50
Hifiman ef2a

I listen to pretty much everything, Classical, jazz, Hip-hop, a bit of electronic music, choral, Steve Reich

I've read about some problems with the EF2A which is why I'm asking for suggestions

my budgets under $400

-
A headphone noob

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #16,582 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,
I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones along with a desktop amp/dac combo. Hears the gear I was looking at:
audio technica ath-m50
Hifiman ef2a

I listen to pretty much everything, Classical, jazz, Hip-hop, a bit of electronic music, choral, Steve Reich

I've read about some problems with the EF2A which is why I'm asking for suggestions

my budgets under $400

-
A headphone noob

The problems with early EF2A releases are a thing of the past.  I have purchased two this year and they work great--no channel imbalance and smooth symmetrical volume control.

On the other hand the M50 with its recessed mids is a poor choice for an all rounder.  It is a bad match for classical, jazz and choral for starts.  The Shure SRH 840, by way of one closed example, is a much better choice.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #16,583 of 29,490
Hi guys,
I'm looking to get a new higher end setup.
Budget: $1300 max
Music Preference: Rock, Electronica, Pop, Jazz

I'm open to buying used gear. I'm looking for a full setup (DAC, amp, and headphones).
The difficulties of this budget are that obvious choices like LCD-2 and bitfrost/lyr are beyond my budget.

I look forward to your help, fellow Head-Fi'ers!

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #16,584 of 29,490
Hi everyone,
I don't know if this has been asked before, but I'm looking for a headphone with a similar sound signature like my DT 990 pro, but with a bit less trebble. My budget is up to 400 euro less would be better, more would not be ideal but I could stretch the budget a bit if needed.

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #16,586 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm open to buying used gear. I'm looking for a full setup (DAC, amp, and headphones).
The difficulties of this budget are that obvious choices like LCD-2 and bitfrost/lyr are beyond my budget.

With the LCD-2, you have clearly moved onto the turf of the Summit-Fi section of the forum.

Jul 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #16,587 of 29,490
Quote:
Is the 840 good with the EF2A and does it have good bass response for hip-hop and electronic music?

Thanks

I like them very much with the EF2A.  They have good bass and a bit of a mid bass hump.  They are a great pick if you want to listen to music as it was put down  They will not give you massively more bass than is there.  They are not cans for bass heads.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #16,589 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys,

LCD-2
HE-500

Pair it with:
Nuforce HDP
NFB-12
HRT Musicstreamer and Matrix M-Stage
HRT Musicstreamer and Hifiman EF5
Matrix Mini-i + Matrix M-Stage

Those are all setups I've listened to and they all sound great. I've owned both of those headphones as well and it's a win-win scenario.

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #16,590 of 29,490
Quote:

LCD-2
HE-500

Pair it with:
Nuforce HDP
NFB-12
HRT Musicstreamer and Matrix M-Stage
HRT Musicstreamer and Hifiman EF5
Matrix Mini-i + Matrix M-Stage

Those are all setups I've listened to and they all sound great. I've owned both of those headphones as well and it's a win-win scenario.

Thanks Chris! I was looking at the Nuforce HDP. I've read a lot about the others and owned a M-Stage but was unsure if it would be able to drive the planars well. Good to know it can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back