++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #16,411 of 29,490
Quote:

Where do you live?

The Senn and Shure are the best cans on yours list.  The Shure is the best value here in the U.S., where the Senn map has significantly raised the price of the 558 since earlier this year.

The K 240 Studio is just a tad below the newer model and can regularly had at Amazon for about $80.  That is probably a good reference for how good a price your are discussing for the MK II.

I live in Brazil

The Shure 840 so is clearly better than the AKG K240 MKii? That's what I wanted to know, I think I can find the Shure here. Unfortunately US prices don't compare to Brazilian prices, the AKG I would be buying is no where close to the US 80 dollar price. And when you said AKG K240, you said Studio, and I'm talking the MKii version, they're better and more expensive in the US right?

Edit: My mistake, the 840 is much more expensive in Brazil than the AKG :/ Unfortunately right now it's not a good time to buy stuff from eBay for Brazilians, so I'm giving more attention to products I can find here

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #16,412 of 29,490
Quote:

The 558 is a very nice all around open can.  Unless you need the AKG for portable use, go with the Senn.

I see, thank you. I in fact don't need portability.

I just thought that, for the same price, I could get two headphones that would excel in both fields. I don't know how the 558 are for gaming, but based on reviews, I'm sure it has less bass than the 681 or K518. Or am I wrong?

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #16,413 of 29,490
Quote:
I live in Brazil

The Shure 840 so is clearly better than the AKG K240 MKii? That's what I wanted to know, I think I can find the Shure here. Unfortunately US prices don't compare to Brazilian prices, the AKG I would be buying is no where close to the US 80 dollar price. And when you said AKG K240, you said Studio, and I'm talking the MKii version, they're better and more expensive in the US right?

I have only heard the K 240 Studio (the Mk II is supposed to be a slightly improved version).  Based on that (and not knocking the AKG), the 840 is better.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #16,415 of 29,490
I don't normally compose replies like this, and would never create a new thread.  Sorry for the wall of text, BTW.
I'm searching for a new pair of closed headphones that I intend to use in my office environment.  Some of the common questions are answered below in bullet form.

Budget is 135 min to ~210 maX, USD.

I don't need a lot of isolation, but a decent lack of leakage is preferred to spare my cubical neighbors.

I want closed cans for the above reasons, but am receptive to semi-open cans that, for whatever reason, don't have severe leakage.

I am not a bass head.  I like extended and well textured bass, but bass that stamps on my vocals/mids makes me angry. 

I have a fiio e5 amp, and am saving up for an O2, so options that benefit from this setup are acceptable.

iPod (cringe) with LOD is my source.  Typical  file quality is 128 kbps - 256 kbps VBR MP3.  spare me the lecture, I lay awake at night cursing my younger, stupider self.

I cant use any source that has removable storage/flash nor a microphone.  No mics on the HP either (not really an issue with full size)

I prefer circum-aural fit, but supra-aural is acceptable.

Flatter signature is preferred to a V shape, but some euphonics are acceptable. 

I love detail.

I currently have Alessandro/grado MS1, and as my first hi-fi hp, i LOVE it. It does not perform electronica music extraordinarily well, but i actually like its rendition of hip hop.  

My musical preference is a wide band covering skilled musicians of all genres.  Poppy stuff i tend to dislike, as i enjoy a musicians TALENT as well as their sound.  Anything from acoustic to metal, from hiphop (i tend towards the more poetic vocal driven variety than the club thumping sort) to classical.  Not a lot of classical, but i LOVE the sound of a good cello. 

Comfort is pretty important, but as an apparent minority, i don't mind the Grados long term feel.

Some of my initial considerations:

Shure srh840 are in the lead, but i hear they suffer from fit issues.  This is likely a personal thing, and could as well fit me as not.

Beyerdynamic Dt770 80 - I worry about their reported V-Shape, yet goldenears[dot]net has them rated as pretty hi-fidelity (in the true sense of the word). 
Beyerdynamic Dt770 250 -These are the ones i was thinking of, i mixed them up in my head.  These, i hear are more balanced. 

AKG K271 MK II - I worry about their lack of bass.  it seems detailed enough and i like that, but i like bass, i just don't want too much of it.

KRK KNS8400 - Honestly don't know much about these other than i would guess they lay close to the shures.  

Brainwavz HM5  - HOLY UGLY HEADPHONE, BATMAN.  Looks are not that important, but damn, these ugly. 

Audio Technica ATH-A900 - I have gotten the impression that most the other i suggested are going to be better $/sound than these, but correct me if you think i'm wrong.

And here is where i hope for good suggestions :) If you have only ever tried on of these, please consider the fact that you may be making a recommendation in a vacuum, and that only by having at least auditioned a few of these can you possibly be able to compare.  I don't doubt that any of these would be a pleasure to own, but im interested in the relative value and enjoyment.  Also please recognize that i don't want to hear terms like "better"; please try to use descriptive language that can communicate to me the relative strengths and weaknesses.  and most importantly THANK YOU for taking time to consider this post!

P.S. I would consider a IEM suggestion as well, as insertion doesn't bother me.  I currently own the m11+ and quite like it, except a bit too much bass.  The thing is, i want the best sound for the money, and that's usually not found in an IEM. 

Edit: i have read countless posts regarding the topic of most o these hphones.  I have NOT read almost any of this thread in general ; it seems too much the effort to hope to find someone in my similar situation. 

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #16,417 of 29,490
So Im looking for some cans that are under $180~ and what I mainly listen to is metal/hard rock, but also some electronic, folk, indie-rock, and other stuff.
I've been looking into the AudioTechnica M50s, the Ultrasone HFI-580/680/780, and am open to any suggestions as to what would suit my needs best, while I listen to everything else, my main concern is them being able to handle metal well.
Thanks!

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #16,418 of 29,490
RE: the 2012 summer buying guide: no offense to any mod or supporter of Head-fi, you guys rock; you know what it takes to build a solid community around an intriguing hobby, but I was looking for something a little less... commercial.  

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #16,419 of 29,490
Quote:
Shure srh840 are in the lead, but i hear they suffer from fit issues.  This is likely a personal thing, and could as well fit me as not.
Beyerdynamic Dt770 80 - I worry about their reported V-Shape, yet goldenears[dot]net has them rated as pretty hi-fidelity (in the true sense of the word). 
AKG K271 MK II - I worry about their lack of bass.  it seems detailed enough and i like that, but i like bass, i just don't want too much of it.
KRK KNS8400 - Honestly don't know much about these other than i would guess they lay close to the shures.  
Brainwavz HM5  - HOLY UGLY HEADPHONE, BATMAN.  Looks are not that important, but damn, these ugly. 
Audio Technica ATH-A900 - I have gotten the impression that most the other i suggested are going to be better $/sound than these, but correct me if you think i'm wrong.

And here is where i hope for good suggestions :) If you have only ever tried on of these, please consider the fact that you may be making a recommendation in a vacuum, and that only by having at least auditioned a few of these can you possibly be able to compare.  I don't doubt that any of these would be a pleasure to own, but im interested in the relative value and enjoyment.  Also please recognize that i don't want to hear terms like "better"; please try to use descriptive language that can communicate to me the relative strengths and weaknesses.  and most importantly THANK YOU for taking time to consider this post!

P.S. I would consider a IEM suggestion as well, as insertion doesn't bother me.  I currently own the m11+ and quite like it, except a bit too much bass.  The thing is, i want the best sound for the money, and that's usually not found in an IEM. 

Edit: i have read countless posts regarding the topic of most o these hphones.  I have NOT read almost any of this thread in general ; it seems too much the effort to hope to find someone in my similar situation. 

I own three of those headphones DT770 Pro 80-Ohm, KRK KNS 8400, Brainwavz HM5.
I do own the ATH-A900X, guess you could call them the new stepbrother of the ATH-A900.
The DT770 80s are a full bassy headphone, good headphones, but I guessing there too bassy for you.
Brainwavz HM5 very real and neutral sound, worth the $100 they cost me, slightly tight around ears, but not really a problem.
KRK KNS 8400, fairly good sounding, more something I would think to use for portability.
Never used any Shures or the AKG K271MKII.
I vote you get the ATH-A900s, nice size (bigger) cups, comfortable, easy to drive.
Not a bassy headphone, should be great for music.
I'm guessing you could wear them for long periods with the least discomfort.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #16,421 of 29,490
Quote:
Out of curiosity, just in case the oportunity shows up. If you had to choose Sennheiser HD558 or Shure 840, which would you go for rock music listening?

Might help to know who you are asking the question.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #16,422 of 29,490
Quote:
Does your computer use built in audio or on add-on sound card?
Samson SR850 are a good value, for an extra $15-$25 there are some options for better ear pads.

I had an XFi music that just went out on me, so built in sound card for now. I'm not against buying a new one though.
I'm also fine with open cans, and I mostly listen to metal and EDM but my taste is very eclectic.
A mic attached is not necessary at all for me as I have a standalone mic.
I don't have a preference for the sound signature. I am not a bass head although the two headphones I've owned in the past have been a V signature. Flat is fine or even light on bass as long as the sound doesn't get harsh and tiring. Again, I am going for comfort.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #16,425 of 29,490
Quote:

I had an XFi music that just went out on me, so built in sound card for now. I'm not against buying a new one though.
I'm also fine with open cans, and I mostly listen to metal and EDM but my taste is very eclectic.
A mic attached is not necessary at all for me as I have a standalone mic.
I don't have a preference for the sound signature. I am not a bass head although the two headphones I've owned in the past have been a V signature. Flat is fine or even light on bass as long as the sound doesn't get harsh and tiring. Again, I am going for comfort.

Just get the Asus Xonar DG sound card.
Or a used X-Fi Titanium (non-HD) if your into FPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back