++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 12, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #16,351 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey,

I currently have the ATH-M50's and was looking to upgrade a bit. I would like a headphone with a bit more isolation and a bit more bass. I basically listen to Hip-Hop and R&B!

Thanks!

Edit: Price Range would be in-between 100-200, but I can go a bit more higher if it's worth it!

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 is perfect for those genres IMO. Not sure if it would isolate more but it would be an upgrade in overall SQ and would probably be more comfortable.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #16,352 of 29,490
Hi All

This is first time i am buying a $100+ headphones
I am planning on getting either audio technica m50 or Ultrasone HFI-580
After going through these forums a lot i found out HFI 580 is the best for me since i listen to rap and hip hop/rap most of the time
None of these are available localy at Sri Lanka. So on ebay ATH m50 cost $150 and HFI 580 cost $185.
So is the HFI 580 worth the extra $35 or should i just buy the m50.

Thanks

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #16,354 of 29,490
Quote:
What DAC would be best for 598s? I was looking at the fiio e17 and an asus Xonar STX sound card, but I can't decide what's best.

If you dont need portability , definitely go for STX.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #16,355 of 29,490
Quote:

They, meaning the 5's or 6's are the more comfortable? Why did he say torture on the 5's ??

Yes 5 & 6 series are more comfortable, and im not sure why he find the 5 series uncomfortable, odd shaped head maybe? 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #16,356 of 29,490
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a little help.

I'm currently sitting on a mid-ish range set-up my current set-up is as follows. 
  1. Sennheiser HD558's
  2. Astro Gaming Mixamp with TOSLINK connection

I'm looking to spend around £400 ($615) on upgrading it. I mainly listen to Deadmau5, Linkin Park and Red Hot Chilli Peppers and mid to high volume. All of which being .flac files also.

Following on I have been looking into some Sennheiser HD650's though I don't know what amp I should look for.

Thank you for you're time !

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #16,357 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for some open back headphones with good sounstage and bass.  I'd like to stay under $200, but I can spend more if adequately inspired.
I don't particularly want crazy accuracy.  I just want to hear nice sounds.  70% Music, 15% Movies, 15% Games.  I probably prefer things a bit on the warm side.
Currently, I have some MDR-V6s (no amp).  I don't quite despise the "inside my head" sound stage, but I'm wanting more.  I've heard some Sennheiser 280s powered by a MacBook Pro, and the bass is what I'd call legitimate, but I not as powerful as I'd like.
I read some reviews of the Fischer Audio FA-011s, and it looks like they would suit my need.  But, I've also come across some bad stories with quality of control.  Combine that with a drawn-out overseas ordering process, and I'm too wary to make the purchase.
In reading about ATH-M50s, I hear that they offer very competent bass, but some that it's a bit lacking.  Plus, they aren't open back.
I don't think I'm in the full on basshead territory, but perhaps half way?  I love hearing super lows at a reasonable volume.
Also, there's a high likelihood I'll be picking up some amplification, probably a Fiio E17.

What source(s) do you plug you headphones into now?

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #16,358 of 29,490
Quote:

The problem is I read the list of best amps for desktop low price, and the cheapest one is like 400 dollars! Come on!!

I read a lot of good stuff about Sennheiser HD558, do they need an amp to sound good? No way I could make it work with my Sound Card? Oh I have a E-MU Tracker Pre Sound Interface, does that help? I don't think it works as a headphone amp :"(

You don't need one the "best" for $200 can.  There are many good entry level amps--even desktop amp-- for far less than $400.  One example--the Topping TP 30 (solid state) or the HifiMan EF2a (hybrid).  Good portable amps can be had for well short of $100.

If have a decent headphone section on a receiver, you can also use it.

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #16,359 of 29,490
I'm looking for a can that is about 130$ i listen to pretty much everything but i like good bass but not so much where it takes away from the overall sound, will be listening to them on my samsung fascinate, and pavilion dv7 with beats audio. My 2 main choices right now are the ultrasone hifi 580 , and the ATH-M50.
I am open to suggestions!

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #16,360 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for a can that is about 130$ i listen to pretty much everything but i like good bass but not so much where it takes away from the overall sound, will be listening to them on my samsung fascinate, and pavilion dv7 with beats audio. My 2 main choices right now are the ultrasone hifi 580 , and the ATH-M50.
I am open to suggestions!

The HiFi 780 is a much more balanced can that the basshead 580 and provides strong (but not overwelming) bass.

In the U.S. the Shure SRH 840 generally sells for the same price as M50.  Even with its mid bass hump, it has a more balanced sound signature than the M50.  But if you want bigger bass at the cost of recessed mids, go for the M50.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #16,361 of 29,490
Somebody know if the beyerdynamic EDT 770 ear pad, works with the samson SR850?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016MMYKA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A30BLJGJO43UD4

Or this one: http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT-Replacement-Cushions-Pair/dp/B007VCKACI/ref=sr_1_75?ie=UTF8&qid=1342143015&sr=8-75&keywords=beyerdynamic

Here observe the beyerdynamic DT 990 ear pad on the HD668B Super lux, but I don't know if the HD668B's diameter is equal to the samson SR850?

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #16,362 of 29,490
I've pretty much stuck myself on buying the Phillips Citiscape Uptown. But then I saw someone in the "Post portable rig" thread, post a picture of a Fostex T50 headphone connected to a portable amp that changed the jack from 6.5mm to 3.5mm. I was considering getting that Fostex headphone until I saw that it was a 6.5mm. I never looked into amps converting it into 3.5mm though. It is a double positive there where I can get a better sounding headphone which I can hook up to my electric piano's 6.5mm jack, as well as hook it up to an amp and then my ipod.
I guess my main concern is portability and price. They cost the same but for the Fostex, I need to buy that new amp, and I only have $160 to work with here. I am also an EXTREMELY frequent music listener. I don't think it is the most casual thing to take a headphone like that into public.

So.. Any help with this decision?

Jul 13, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #16,365 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi

I'm a complete newbie if it comes to headphones and i'm planning on buying new more expensive ones than i previously used. 
I'm going to use them solely for music so the most important feature for me would be sound quality. I need to mention that all of my previous  headphones didn't last for long (max 6 months) because one of the phones would stop working - i usually coiled the cable around my hand before putting them in my bag so it wouldn't tangle (not sure if that caused the problem) - so right now i'm looking for something more durable.
I've been considering few headphones (i chose them basing on online opinions): Sennheiser XP 360, Bose AE2, ATH M50.
Let me know if they are suitable or maybe recommend something else.

Thanks

No one has replied to me yet so i'll try once again. Can't anyone say which is better? D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back