++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 11, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #16,291 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm going to be plugging it into my Macbook.

The AH-D5000 is 25-Ohm and Hifiman HE-400 is 35-Ohms.
Your Macbook should decently power the AH-D5000, I know little about the HE-400, but I'm guessing your Macbook would power them decently too.
Fiio E11 Portable headphone amplifier is a low cost and decent add-on amplifier.
For audio improvement many finding the best DAC for your budget is a better idea?

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #16,292 of 29,490
I own hd668b/FIIO E11, my question is,I'm looking to step up into the 400 price category, would one recommended 200 cans/ dac? Or 400 cans with the fiio e11? I'm listening to dubstep/ meta/ instrumentals..sound quality above all else.I'm looking for.something with a wide open soundstag,and is less fatiguing than superlux. any all suggestions appreciate. Also portibility isn't an issue.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #16,293 of 29,490
Dude take a look at the Beyers DT990. Excellent soudstage and enough bass for the hardcore dubstep lovers. It has very good sound quality as well...It would be an excellent choice for you, unless of course you want to go all the way with the T1's

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #16,294 of 29,490
Quote:
I own hd668b/FIIO E11, my question is,I'm looking to step up into the 400 price category, would one recommended 200 cans/ dac? Or 400 cans with the fiio e11? I'm listening to dubstep/ meta/ instrumentals..sound quality above all else.I'm looking for.something with a wide open sound stage,and is less fatiguing than Superlux. any all suggestions appreciate. Also portibility isn't an issue.

Opem, semi-open or closed headphone?
AKG K550 or Audio Technica ATH-A900X, both should work fine with E11.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #16,295 of 29,490
Quote:

The HE-400's are normally (I haven't seen them new "on sale" for less) about $100 above the budget you set forth.

Yeah, it was a little bit of a stretch :wink:

I think I'm going to settle on the Q701 over the Senn HD600 due to them having more "bass/sub-bass", though I hear a lot about the impact of the Senn.

Thank you for the suggestions, KG Jag!

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #16,296 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I've used head-fi before to get my Sennheiser IE8i's. The forum was a lot of help and I'm back for a second dose! Any help would be much appreciated.

What I'm looking for is a pair of headphones for the office. So here is my criteria:

Budget: $200-$350 (If an amp is needed I can add maybe..$50-$100 to budget for that but not sure if I really need it)
Good isolation (no sound leaking in or out so I can concentrate .. closed phones?)
Acoustic/Classical/Instrumental music (rarely listen to music with lyrics but occasionally will)
Not portable (sits in the office)
Comfortable (wearing this 8 hours a day)
Source (work PC, using Spotify/8tracks so decent quality, nothing 'amazing')

I tried searching the forums and these are some of the headphones I've found and will look into more but I'm sure I've missed a lot.

Sennheiser HD555, HD590, HD558/HD598
HD600 

AKG 601
AKG 701
ATH-AD900

Thank you!

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #16,297 of 29,490
Quote:
So, I'm looking for a good set of non-leaking headphones under $80 with some level of portability, and comfortable enough to wear on a daily basis. At the moment, I was considering 1. Koss Pro DJ 100 2. Philips Citiscape Downtown 3. Shure SRH-440? Love mids, not a huge fan of bass. Don't, and will probably never use an amp or replacement earpads (aka will use "as is"). Like mainly classic rock. Thanks.

The Sony MDR-ZX700.  See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-zx700

The Shure is a godd second choice.  The Koss is good but is not up to the others without an amp.  I have not heard the Philips.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #16,298 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

I've used head-fi before to get my Sennheiser IE8i's. The forum was a lot of help and I'm back for a second dose! Any help would be much appreciated.

What I'm looking for is a pair of headphones for the office. So here is my criteria:

Budget: $200-$350 (If an amp is needed I can add maybe..$50-$100 to budget for that but not sure if I really need it)
Good isolation (no sound leaking in or out so I can concentrate .. closed phones?)
Acoustic/Classical/Instrumental music (rarely listen to music with lyrics but occasionally will)

I tried searching the forums and these are some of the headphones I've found and will look into more but I'm sure I've missed a lot.

HD600 

AKG 601
AKG 701
ATH-AD900

Thank you!

Many of the headphones on your list leak a ton of sound since they are open. I'd consider the AKG-K500; though I personally couldn't get on with the treble, there are other aspects that should be great for you, especially isolation and comfort. It'll do a great job with those genres, too.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #16,299 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

HD600 

AKG 601
AKG 701
ATH-AD900

Thank you!

None of the cans you listed are closed.

Take a look at the buying guides that are linked in the opening post of this thread.  Concentrate on closed cans that are rated a "1" or maybe (suitability will vary) a "2".  No amp very much limits your options within your price range.

Links:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

One can that is not on these lists (it is new-ish) that you should consider is the Sony MDR 7520. 

See: http://www.djdeals.com/sonyMDR7520.htm

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #16,300 of 29,490
Quote:
Based on specs (I have only tried ATH-M30), the ATH M30 are the worst of the four. Those are out. The DTX710 are better than the ATH M30, but not as good as the other two. Those are out. Now it's between the DTX 910 and JVC HARX700. The HARX700 are harder to drive than the DTX 910 (due to more ohms), but goes lower in bass and goes higher in the treble. DTX910 goes for $65 on amazon, while HARX700 are $32. To me, it's a no brainer. I would buy the HARX700. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for your comment mate. I also found some Panasonic RP-HTF600-S for $30 ($50+ with additional beyerdynamic velour pads), and read some favorable reviews. Now I believe I might be going for these, mostly because of the possibility to mod them with velour pads. Any comments on these versus the HARX700? Thanks in advance.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #16,301 of 29,490
Hi

I'm a complete newbie if it comes to headphones and i'm planning on buying new more expensive ones than i previously used. 
I'm going to use them solely for music so the most important feature for me would be sound quality. I need to mention that all of my previous  headphones didn't last for long (max 6 months) because one of the phones would stop working - i usually coiled the cable around my hand before putting them in my bag so it wouldn't tangle (not sure if that caused the problem) - so right now i'm looking for something more durable.
I've been considering few headphones (i chose them basing on online opinions): Sennheiser XP 360, Bose AE2, ATH M50.
Let me know if they are suitable or maybe recommend something else.

Thanks

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #16,302 of 29,490
Hi I'm new and am looking for some nice headphones for in and outdoors use.

My budget is <$100. 

Some things I found:
Koss ProDJ100
Audio-Technica ATHM50S (although >$100, but  read some good things about it)
Sennheiser HD280 PRO

I own a AKG K450 and they are ****.

It will be used for Trance, Dance, Electro, Hiphop/rap, Pop, House

I don't like something bulky/big, and comfort is very important. 

Any other suggestions would really help me.

Thanks.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #16,303 of 29,490
I originally started my own thread, but after finding this, I decided to post my needs here, especially since looking some of my preferences and priorities have changed. I will try to list out everything I am looking for, as well as the priority or emphasis I place on each category.

In order of priority:

1. Price- ($75-$100) Im a college student on a tight budget.  I can't afford to splurge on entry level hi fi headphones.  I have only very recently begun looking into some quality headphones after breaking numerous sets of in ear buds, and deciding I want something with a good build and better sound quality than I have experienced.  I am willing to go slightly above or slightly below this range if something cheaper has just great quality for the price, or if something more expensive has a big boost in quality for the price increase.  However I will definitely be more reluctant to spend more than $100.  

2. Music Genres- I listen to a good mix of Electronic, Indie Rock, Alternative, Dub Step (when I'm in the mood), and Hip Hop every now and then.  I like bass.  I realize that for many of you that is not a top priority, but I don't want to get a pair and be disappointed by the level of bass.  At the same time I don't want something like beats or skullcandies that are gonna cause brain damage from small magnitude earthquakes in my ears.

3. Comfort- This only comes slightly after the other 2 categories.  I want something that I can where for extended periods of time without feeling uncomfortable and needing to take off.

4. Closed/Open- Being inexperienced I'm not very knowledgeable about which I would prefer.  I think I would prefer the noise isolation of the closed style, as well as the generalization of a punchier bass, but I am open to both options. 

5. Portability/Listening Mode- I would like something to be decently portable, just to the point that I could possibly fold it up in a case and put in my bookbag to take to campus.  Maybe walk around with them and listen to my phone or something, but for the most part I plan on using this at home, with my computer, PS Vita, phone, and possibly my PS3.  If I can find something with inline mic and volume control that would be a plus, but not a necessity.

6. Style- Hey if there is something out there that has all of this things that looks sleek and stylish thats fantastic.  If not, no biggie.  Although I don't see myself placing too much emphasis on this, I suppose there may be something ugly enough to prevent me from buying it. (For instance I can get some great looking Incase Sonic's for $80 with discount and promo code PASSON20, but I feel like I may be trading quality for looks, and that I would be disappointed with the bass)

7. Amped-  I dont want to deal with this.  I want something that sounds good out of the box.

Products I have looked at so far include:
  1. ATH M-50: Like I said, I just can't justify the price right now.
  2. Ultrasone HFI 580: Have seen issues with comfort level for some people, and this is a huge downside for me
  3. Incase Sonic: Mostly just look really cool and they are having a big sale on the website right now, but again I dont wan't to sacrifice sound quality
  4. Sony MDR V6: I've heard this is a solid set that has been around for years.  Idk if I will be satisfied with it though being an older product.
  5. Shure SRH840: Again, just a little pricey. 

I have made this as detailed as I possibly can, to try and cover all my bases.  Im really hoping some of  you out there who have experience with a wide variety of headphones can make suggestion for me.  I'm an extremely spending conscious individual, and when I buy electronics I tend to research the hell out of of before I make a purchase.  Please help me move beyond my indecision so I can move on with my life and start listening!

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #16,304 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for your comment mate. I also found some Panasonic RP-HTF600-S for $30 ($50+ with additional Beyerdynamic velour pads), and read some favorable reviews. Now I believe I might be going for these, mostly because of the possibility to mod them with velour pads. Any comments on these versus the HARX700? Thanks in advance.

I would say the Panasonic is nice just for being able to add Velour ear pads.
Also, I myself favor open or semi-open over closed.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #16,305 of 29,490
Simple Question I Can't Find The Answer To.

Velour/ Custom Pads For Numark Red Waves.

Apparently, nobody knows the answer, but I thought, hey, I'll give it ONE more shot.

AGAIN, fingers crossed... :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back