++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 10, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #16,247 of 29,490
Jul 10, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #16,250 of 29,490
Is the Incase Sonic really big and ugly? I was considering it over the Sony MDR-V55s and Monster NCredible NTunes, but I have heard people say that the Sonics are very ugly-looking.

So, out of the three, which do you guys recommend? I'm completely new to headphones by the way, and I am considering looks as well as sound quality.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #16,254 of 29,490
Quote:
I am asking for members views on what they would regard as the best headphones :) I appreciate that post but its just from one members views. I hope I dont come across in the wrong way :)

Jamie

Well, "best" is a very broad term. Only you can say what is "best" for you. Anyway it goes, you're still gonna have to do reading on your own to decide what you want. I gave the material to get you going the right direction, but if you just wanna ask and pray someone will give you an answer on what the "best" is, you can run along and by some beats or turtle beaches like every other person does. 

Also, you're going to have to give us a bit more info about what you want. I just see gaming and soundstage, which isn't near enough. Are you going to be strictly using these for gaming or are you going to listening to music as well. What is your source of sound aka what will be sending noise to your headphone. Do you need them to be portable? Are you open to buying an amp as well? What country are you in? I noticed you used dollars and pounds when you named your price, which I'm sure is a typo. There are probably some other things worth mentioning as well,but those will do to get you started.

Jul 10, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #16,255 of 29,490
Quote:
I've also been wondering how much more detail the HE-500 has over the K702, as the K702 provides excellent resolution with its very touted dual layer Varimotion diaphragm

Based on the HE 500 vs. the Q 701, the HE 500 is simply on another tier above that of the Q 701--which is not surprising considering that each is an excellent can in its respective price class.  The two areas where the Q 701 is better are sound stage and comfort (the HE 500 is not uncomfortable but it is heavy).  In every other area the HE 500 is superior.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #16,257 of 29,490
Looking for advice on classifieds. I'm in the market for used headphones and am surprised by the high prices folks demand for even well used gear. Listening 1-3 hours a day for the few months they own the headphones and calling it near new, brand new, etc...

Is that simply how it works in this market? Is the gear of such quality that 200 hours in two months IS considered new?

Food for thought??

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #16,258 of 29,490
Quote:
Looking for advice on classifieds. I'm in the market for used headphones and am surprised by the high prices folks demand for even well used gear. Listening 1-3 hours a day for the few months they own the headphones and calling it near new, brand new, etc...

Is that simply how it works in this market? Is the gear of such quality that 200 hours in two months IS considered new?

Food for thought??

If you don't like the prices for something, don't buy it or make a reasonable offer. 

This isn't the thread to discuss or ask such things.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #16,259 of 29,490
Quote:
All Right so here this goes. I'm a new kid to the whole audiophile world and have barely scratched the surface the past two days. My budget is about $100-300, I think I can get a pretty good pair of headphones within that price range? I listen to Blues, Jazz (Ragtime, Big band, Bebop, Fusion) Classic Rock, Alt/Indie Rock, Funk, Folk, Dubstep, Latin music, and Disco so I'd like a pair that's all around not something too bass heavy. I'd prefer closed because I often find myself listening to music late at night when everyone in my house is asleep and they sometimes complain they can hear it(My family has light sleepers). Also I'd rather have save up a little longer and get better quality headphones then order lesser quality ones right now. So far I'm looking at: Sennheiser HD 598, AKG K702 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50S. Any help/recommendations would be much appreciated!

Quote:
If you're not amping, I think its a great headphone for your musical taste, as long as you can get away with open. There are some other really good options amped but you're kind of adding at least $100 to your max, so I would go with the HD598; it'll be cheap enough you can get a cheap amp if you want. Its a very satisfying headphone. (You should be able to get it for about $200 from RazorDogDeals if you submit an offer to him on ebay or via email.) 

What would some other options be, if you don't mind me asking? 

I'm in the same boat as the poster you were replying to, I listen to essentially the same music (even a bit of Disco, LOL). I did an extensive amount of searching when purchasing my ATH-M50s, and now I'm looking for something else, though not limiting myself to that signature "boomy" sound or the closed can. I also am hoping to build around the headphone with a dedicated amp and DAC. 

Strictly for home use, I play CD's, apple lossless, and 320kbps files out of a Macbook pro, currently through a udac2. Budget is around $300, though I will definitely stretch if I'll be faced with a great deal.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #16,260 of 29,490
Ok my search for a new pair of cans is almost done it's down to the ATH-M50 and Ultrasone 580 I listen to alot of different kinds of music from dubstep to jazz I like some extra bass in my headphones, but not so much wear it takes away from the overall sound of the headphone. I will be using them with my Samsung Fascinate, and Pavilion dv7 with beats audio, needs to be some what portable. Please help not sure what to buy, if you could give me some pros and cons of both please do. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back