++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #16,111 of 29,490
Okay (don't hate me just yet...)

I've read the first post in this thread and I've been slowly perusing since the start of this year. 

Currently rocking Pro700 mk2 ANV

I bough these cans knowing that 90% of my library was bass-heavy tracks. 

I still love my bass (like it is my own child). However, it would seem that the 90% has dropped significantly to ~60%. 

So, my lib has changed.... It happens! Currently listening to (some might call them 'generic') Tool's discography. I'm just not feeling it. 

So my question to you, those who frequent this thread, is; should I buy a 2nd pair of cans (Q701 from my research) or spend the money on a dac/amp and try to use my somewhat genre specific cans in a 'general use' setting..??

All advice is greatly appreciated, 

Karl

Edit: Budget is around the 'average internet price' of Q701. 

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #16,113 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay (don't hate me just yet...)

I've read the first post in this thread and I've been slowly perusing since the start of this year. 

Currently rocking Pro700 mk2 ANV

I bough these cans knowing that 90% of my library was bass-heavy tracks. 

I still love my bass (like it is my own child). However, it would seem that the 90% has dropped significantly to ~60%. 

So, my lib has changed.... It happens! Currently listening to (some might call them 'generic') Tool's discography. I'm just not feeling it. 

So my question to you, those who frequent this thread, is; should I buy a 2nd pair of cans (Q701 from my research) or spend the money on a dac/amp and try to use my somewhat genre specific cans in a 'general use' setting..??

All advice is greatly appreciated, 

Karl

Edit: Budget is around the 'average internet price' of Q701. 

The Q701 needs an amp.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #16,117 of 29,490
Does anyone here know how the Beyerdynamic T50Ps sound against the AKG Q701s? I don't care too much about how portable it is, but being small and closed is a plus, but I would like to know how the soundstage and the mids/highs sound compared to each other.  

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #16,119 of 29,490
Quote:
Can't decide which one to buy? The hd650 is 320 euros and the hd600 is 310 euro price doesn't matter

I only have two out of the three (Asgard and 650). I have been asking about the differences between the 600 and 650. Imackler seems to know both well. I think it comes down to what sound signature you like. The 650 is apparently ever so slightly darker. The 600 is slightly more neutral. At this point, I am all for neutrality, so I would go for the 600, but you can't really go wrong with either, unless you have real specific sound signature criteria. I have always liked the 650, but lately I find myself listening more to the DT880 during the times when I would usually reach for the 650.

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #16,121 of 29,490
I only have two out of the three (Asgard and 650). I have been asking about the differences between the 600 and 650. Imackler seems to know both well. I think it comes down to what sound signature you like. The 650 is apparently ever so slightly darker. The 600 is slightly more neutral. At this point, I am all for neutrality, so I would go for the 600, but you can't really go wrong with either, unless you have real specific sound signature criteria. I have always liked the 650, but lately I find myself listening more to the DT880 during the times when I would usually reach for the 650.

Yeahi know about the sound signature of the hd600/650.. It's just so hard and it's a lot of money.. Maybe i should save up for the hd800 :)

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #16,123 of 29,490
I just got the Koss DJ-100's and the ATH-M40's and besides both being uncomfortable (large ears), I actually prefer the sound of my $7.00 MP 8320 IEM's!  I do have a new Fioo E11 amp, too. What I hear in the MP's is the vocals being so out front in the mix and I'd really like a Phone with those qualities, however you guys describe it?  TheAT's were a lttle heavy on the bass too and I am finding that I am NOT a bass head.  So do I want neutral or do you have to spend a ton to hear nice clean vocals?

thx

bob

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #16,124 of 29,490
Quote:
I just got the Koss DJ-100's and the ATH-M40's and besides both being uncomfortable (large ears), I actually prefer the sound of my $7.00 MP 8320 IEM's!  I do have a new Fioo E11 amp, too. What I hear in the MP's is the vocals being so out front in the mix and I'd really like a Phone with those qualities, however you guys describe it?  TheAT's were a lttle heavy on the bass too and I am finding that I am NOT a bass head.  So do I want neutral or do you have to spend a ton to hear nice clean vocals?

thx

bob

I have not heard your $7 IEM.  What I can say from experience is that the Pro100's are mid-centric cans that are excellent (in or near their price range) for vocals.  On that issue concerning the Koss, you appear to be in a very small minority.

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #16,125 of 29,490
Quote:

I have not heard your $7 IEM.  What I can say from experience is that the Pro100's are mid-centric cans that are excellent (in or near their price range) for vocals.  On that issue concerning the Koss, you appear to be in a very small minority.

Maybe the IEM's have a mid hump?  What else is mid-centric in the sub $100 range?  Sony's?

thx

bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back