++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 6, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #16,096 of 29,490
Quote:
(Just posted my own thread before I saw this topic, figured I'd better repost it here!)

I recently purchased a pair of Phiaton MS 300 headphones based on a Head-Fi recommendation (which, incidentally, sound great until the plastic breaks next to the cup, both on the original and the replacement pair!). Upon hearing them, my dad, who listens to music constantly, decided to replace his $5 headphones from the early 90's with a new pair of high quality headphones, leaving me to figure out which pair is best.

He listens mostly to acoustic/folk music, with a little bit of classic rock thrown in. He doesn't care about base overly much, although it shouldn't be lacking completely; regardless, a pair with strong mids and highs would be best. He's looking for very comfortable, circumaural headphones (he'll probably be wearing them for 8 hour stretches at a time or longer). If his last pair are any judge, he'll probably have these headphones for another 20 years, so build quality and durability is important. :p

Lastly, his budget is from $80-$100. I tried to convinced him to go a bit higher and spring for some ATH M50's, which are recommended everywhere here and I have actually heard for myself, but he doesn't want to go higher than a hundred. Can ya help me out? :)

You may like the M50's (which are almost always above $100), but they are not for your dad.

You did not mention to what your dad will be attaching these cans or the format of his music.  Assuming no amp, Sony MDR 7506, KRK KNS-6400,CAL! and Shure SRH 440.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #16,097 of 29,490
Hi posted this in a similar thread but thought its more fitting here. I have a $200 budget but would like to stay around $150. Main uses will be competitive gaming and music of all kinds though mainly rock/metal. I prefer fast, tight sound, definitely don't want boomy bass. As at least half of the use will be for gaming I would prefer a clear maybe even slightly pronounced 2-8k range for hearing footsteps. I currently have slightly modded senn pc350s that are ok but now have a buzz in the right cup. I would like a slight upgrade, from what I've read the fa-003 sound nice, though I can't find them anywhere and their site is down. Any other suggestions?

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #16,098 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi posted this in a similar thread but thought its more fitting here. I have a $200 budget but would like to stay around $150. Main uses will be competitive gaming and music of all kinds though mainly rock/metal. I prefer fast, tight sound, definitely don't want boomy bass. As at least half of the use will be for gaming I would prefer a clear maybe even slightly pronounced 2-8k range for hearing footsteps. I currently have slightly modded senn pc350s that are ok but now have a buzz in the right cup. I would like a slight upgrade, from what I've read the fa-003 sound nice, though I can't find them anywhere and their site is down. Any other suggestions?

I'm not familiar with the PC350s and whether or not they are easy to take apart... but have you tried blowing/sucking out any hairs that might be stuck in the right cup (against the driver)? These can cause distortion but are an easy fix.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #16,100 of 29,490
My recommendation was going to be the Beyer 770 but I wonder if they would be too bassy for you. What about the Senn 558 or 598 ?

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #16,103 of 29,490
Jul 6, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #16,104 of 29,490
Hi, I'm looking for a new headphone. I have the Denon D2000 and they sound great but my ears get sweaty and hot after 30 mins. I'm looking for the most comfortable headphone. I prefer them to be open so my ears don't get hot and sweaty. Something I can have on my head for hours.

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #16,105 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for a new headphone. I have the Denon D2000 and they sound great but my ears get sweaty and hot after 30 mins. I'm looking for the most comfortable headphone. I prefer them to be open so my ears don't get hot and sweaty. Something I can have on my head for hours.

Budget?

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #16,106 of 29,490
Quote:

DT880 comes to mind.

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #16,107 of 29,490
Quote:

I agree, the Beyer 880 is a good choice. Also the 990 and even the 770 (I have the 770 and although its a closed headphone I can wear them for many hours without getting hot or sweaty ears). Also the Senn 600 and 650. And all 5 of these headphones are extremely comfortable even for all-day use.

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #16,108 of 29,490
I was looking for something under $200. I don't have an amp only the Tritton AX720 decoder box right now. A couple of suggestions for the DT880. Thanks I'll get them out. Any other suggestions you guys have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back