++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 5, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #16,066 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: max 200euro (willing to go over)
Usage: 100% music
Music format: 90% FLAC, 10% streaming
Source: desktop (@work)
Music type: Mainly; Drum and bass, jazz, hiphop and soul (but also a bit of all)

Headphone/sound preferences: I currently own a Beyerdynamic DT770 pro (250ohm) for over 4 years, and I'm really satisfied with it, best build I have seen. however we are hiring more people and I really get annoyed with ambient noises. I really like the beyerdynamic because its very loose on the head, it doesn't press my glasses into my head so I am able to wear it all day.
Currently considering: DT770M, DT660(passive) or stick to the DT770 Pro but buy an Amp

What would you suggest?

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AHD2000-Performance-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B000MVEC0Q
FTW 

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #16,067 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: max $40
Usage: 50% streaming lectures/podcasts and 50% music
Music format: mp3/stream
Source: laptop - Toshiba R705
Music type: Indie Rock, Folks, non bass intensive
Other: Big head. Looking for over the ear.

I'm looking for inexpensive over the ear headphones hopefully under $40 for listening to lectures and music perhaps in noisier settings(trains/public transport). I don't want to get in the ear ones because everyone I have tried hurt after 30 or 40 minutes.

I have looked at Sennheiser HD 201, although common complaints indicate not enough isolation. I'm also considering the budget monoprice 8323 or even Sennheiser HD 202.

I listen to mostly indie rock/folk type of music so bass is not important. Any other suggestions appreciated. And yeah my head is giant. :)

Either the ath m30 (for these i worry about the amount bass) or the sennheiser hd 202 ii (for these i worry about how large your head is)

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #16,068 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: ~ US$80
Usage: music
Music format: 192 - 320 kbps mp3
Source: laptop with Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi external sound card
Music type: varied (hip hop, electronic, jazz, funk, soul, indie rock, classical)

So, I currently own the Grado SR80i, Audio Technica ATH AD700 and Sony MDR-XB500. Before these three, I owned the Koss UR-20. I've been enjoying all of the phones I have but I'm looking for something with a more balanced sound signature. Although I surprised by how versatile all three of the above phones are, I've been thinking of getting something a little 'flatter'. Two pairs of phones I'm thinking about are the AKG K240 Studio and the Sony MDR-V6, because these have been around for a while, are highly regarded and seem to be used extensively in studio settings.

I can't decide between the two though. I've heard some say the K240s can be a bit boomy, overly dark while the V6 can be a bit 'shrill' (is that the right term) in the highs. Which of these would you recommend, given my musical preferences. Or alternatively would you recommend something else with the kind of sound signature I'm looking for that is either closed or semi-open (i.e. K240s).

Your input is welcomed.

'crusha

Balance = sennheiser, try the sennheiser HD 429 or 439 

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #16,069 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: max 350
Usage: 80% music, 10% movies&tv, 10% podcasts
Music format: MP3 
Source: iPhone
Music type: Rap, Dubstep 
Headphone/sound preferences: I would like a pair of headphones that have good sound quality and can also block out noises around me since I will be living in a dorm. Comfort is huge since I often fall asleep listening to music or tv on my macbook pro. I dont know much about headphones but if you have any other questions feel free to send me a message.

Denon AHD 2000 or AKG K550

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #16,070 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: max $40
Usage: 50% streaming lectures/podcasts and 50% music
Music format: mp3/stream
Source: laptop - Toshiba R705
Music type: Indie Rock, Folks, non bass intensive
Other: Big head. Looking for over the ear.

I'm looking for inexpensive over the ear headphones hopefully under $40 for listening to lectures and music perhaps in noisier settings(trains/public transport). I don't want to get in the ear ones because everyone I have tried hurt after 30 or 40 minutes.

I have looked at Sennheiser HD 201, although common complaints indicate not enough isolation. I'm also considering the budget monoprice 8323 or even Sennheiser HD 202.

I listen to mostly indie rock/folk type of music so bass is not important. Any other suggestions appreciated. And yeah my head is giant. :)

In your price range, check out the Koss UR29, Koss Portapro, Monoprice 8323, Sony MDR-XB300, Audio Technica ATH-M20/M30 and JVC HARX700 are all great in your price range.

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #16,071 of 29,490
Jul 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #16,072 of 29,490
Quote:
I found the DT770s much, much better than the M50s. More comfortable, better soundstage, way smoother highs (the M50s were harsh and grating to my ears), full mids (the M50s mids were very lacking, or at least overshadowed by the bass and treble). The only thing I preferred on the M50 was the portability aspect and that they seal better (but the better seal comes at the cost of comfort, not worth it to me). I haven't listened to the 840's so I can't comment on them.

Which DT770's are you talking about? Pro80's?

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #16,074 of 29,490
Jul 5, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #16,076 of 29,490
Quote:

DT770 Pro 80-Ohm are a little more bassy
DT770Pro 250-Ohm a little more clarity (balanced).

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #16,077 of 29,490
Quote:

Hmm weird. I read somewhere that Pro 80s don't have a more balanced sound without recessed mid range, but more low bass.

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #16,078 of 29,490
Quote:

I found them to sound almost exactly the same, except the 250 had a little more edge to the highs. Bass response and mids sounded identical.
Quote:

Yep, Pro 80ohm.

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #16,079 of 29,490
(Just posted my own thread before I saw this topic, figured I'd better repost it here!)

I recently purchased a pair of Phiaton MS 300 headphones based on a Head-Fi recommendation (which, incidentally, sound great until the plastic breaks next to the cup, both on the original and the replacement pair!). Upon hearing them, my dad, who listens to music constantly, decided to replace his $5 headphones from the early 90's with a new pair of high quality headphones, leaving me to figure out which pair is best.

He listens mostly to acoustic/folk music, with a little bit of classic rock thrown in. He doesn't care about base overly much, although it shouldn't be lacking completely; regardless, a pair with strong mids and highs would be best. He's looking for very comfortable, circumaural headphones (he'll probably be wearing them for 8 hour stretches at a time or longer). If his last pair are any judge, he'll probably have these headphones for another 20 years, so build quality and durability is important. :p

Lastly, his budget is from $80-$100. I tried to convinced him to go a bit higher and spring for some ATH M50's, which are recommended everywhere here and I have actually heard for myself, but he doesn't want to go higher than a hundred. Can ya help me out? :)

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #16,080 of 29,490
Quote:
(Just posted my own thread before I saw this topic, figured I'd better repost it here!)

I recently purchased a pair of Phiaton MS 300 headphones based on a Head-Fi recommendation (which, incidentally, sound great until the plastic breaks next to the cup, both on the original and the replacement pair!). Upon hearing them, my dad, who listens to music constantly, decided to replace his $5 headphones from the early 90's with a new pair of high quality headphones, leaving me to figure out which pair is best.

He listens mostly to acoustic/folk music, with a little bit of classic rock thrown in. He doesn't care about base overly much, although it shouldn't be lacking completely; regardless, a pair with strong mids and highs would be best. He's looking for very comfortable, circumaural headphones (he'll probably be wearing them for 8 hour stretches at a time or longer). If his last pair are any judge, he'll probably have these headphones for another 20 years, so build quality and durability is important. :p

Lastly, his budget is from $80-$100. I tried to convinced him to go a bit higher and spring for some ATH M50's, which are recommended everywhere here and I have actually heard for myself, but he doesn't want to go higher than a hundred. Can ya help me out? :)

I wouldn't recommend the M50 for acoustic/folk because of their recessed mids. I wouldn't really want to wear them that many hours a day either! Can he do open or do they need to be closed? You know you could the Jaycar (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA2065). The same thing as the Fischer FA-003 or Brainwavz HM5 but a bit cheaper from Australia. He very well could like them a ton. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back