++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #16,051 of 29,490
Budget: 115$
Usage: 85% music 15% gaming
Music format: Mp3 320 or flac
Source: Phone and computer
Music type: dubstep, house, rap, r&b, pop, some rock

Headphone/sound preferences:  An over the ear headphone, comfy. Good bass great overall sound also. 
Currently considering: Audio Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD 280 PRO
off topic is this a reliable place to buy not sure has cheapest price so http://www.byuy.net thanks!

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #16,052 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, looking for some budget headphones.

Budget: Around $30 (I know it isn't much but it's all I can spend)
Sound: I like bass, but don't want to sacrifice too much from mid and highs for bass.
isolation: I'd prefer a decent amount of isolation but I'm more worried about sound and build quality then isolation.
genre: Dubstep (real dubstep not brostep, stuff from skream, benga, burial, distance, and such), Liquid DnB, house, trance, rock.
Notes: I've been thinking about incipio F38's or HTF600's (I'm worried about the build quality of them though). I would like to know if there are better option or deals that would be better.

Personally, for $30, look at brands like koss, panasonic, jvc, sony and sennheiser. PM me if you need any more help. :)

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #16,053 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: 115$
Usage: 85% music 15% gaming
Music format: Mp3 320 or flac
Source: Phone and computer
Music type: dubstep, house, rap, r&b, pop, some rock

Headphone/sound preferences:  An over the ear headphone, comfy. Good bass great overall sound also. 
Currently considering: Audio Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD 280 PRO
off topic is this a reliable place to buy not sure has cheapest price so http://www.byuy.net thanks!

Those are great. The Ultrasone HFI 580 is worth considering, but they are out of the price range. They are definitely better than the 280s and m50s for listening to music and has better soundstage than the other two.

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #16,055 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: ~ US$80
Usage: music
Music format: 192 - 320 kbps mp3
Source: laptop with Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi external sound card
Music type: varied (hip hop, electronic, jazz, funk, soul, indie rock, classical)

So, I currently own the Grado SR80i, Audio Technica ATH AD700 and Sony MDR-XB500. Before these three, I owned the Koss UR-20. I've been enjoying all of the phones I have but I'm looking for something with a more balanced sound signature. Although I surprised by how versatile all three of the above phones are, I've been thinking of getting something a little 'flatter'. Two pairs of phones I'm thinking about are the AKG K240 Studio and the Sony MDR-V6, because these have been around for a while, are highly regarded and seem to be used extensively in studio settings.

I can't decide between the two though. I've heard some say the K240s can be a bit boomy, overly dark while the V6 can be a bit 'shrill' (is that the right term) in the highs. Which of these would you recommend, given my musical preferences. Or alternatively would you recommend something else with the kind of sound signature I'm looking for that is either closed or semi-open (i.e. K240s).

Your input is welcomed.

'crusha

I would definitely recommend the Shure SRH 440, Sennheiser HD 280 PRO, Koss DJ 100 and KRK KNS 6400 over the headphones you listed for a balanced sound signature. MDR-V6 has a bit of a boring sound and the AKG has a bit too much emphasis in the low end IMO. The ones I listed are great. Pick one! haha :)

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #16,056 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: max 350
Usage: 80% music, 10% movies&tv, 10% podcasts
Music format: MP3 
Source: iPhone
Music type: Rap, Dubstep 
Headphone/sound preferences: I would like a pair of headphones that have good sound quality and can also block out noises around me since I will be living in a dorm. Comfort is huge since I often fall asleep listening to music or tv on my macbook pro. I dont know much about headphones but if you have any other questions feel free to send me a message.

Ultrasone PRO 750 is great.

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #16,057 of 29,490
hi im new to this world been reading the forum for about 4 days now ...basically what i gathered from a lot of people is that every headphone is good 
atsmile.gif
 different strokes for different folks. I want to ask advice for a newbie are the items that im buying coherent with each other i need portable headphones i work on cars and am in the bodyshop so lots of noise  and i need to zone out.

41Z10fesCiL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

FiiO E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier With Micca Accessory Pack (Wall Charger and Extra Battery Pack)

$62.95
Amazon Prime eligible Join now
Quantity: 1 Change
Sold by:  Micca Distributor, LLC
Add gift options

41C5RBKM%2BQL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

AKG Q 701 Quincy Jones Signature Reference-Class Premium Headphones, White

$239.99
Sold by:  Amazon.com LLC
Add gift options

31jf%2BMqJCRL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

Ultrasone PRO 900 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones - Black

$335.56
Add gift options

412O4MYcunL._SL500_SS75_.jpg

Sony MDR-XB700 Extra Bass Headphones

$90.87
Add gift options

31DGoHK3F4L._SL500_SS75_.jpg

Fiio E17 USB DAC Headphone Amplifier

$145.99
Only 6 left in stock--order soon.
Sold by:  lastek llc
Add gift options

21UxHqGPu4L._SL500_SS75_.jpg

FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone

$9.99
Sold by:  EMUSIC ENTERPRISE INC
Add gift options

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #16,058 of 29,490
my music varies from pure classical to hardcore rap, metal , rock, indie, alternatice, hard rock, dubstep, trance, house, hardstyle, new age,  jazz...though on the jazz side i have not matured yet so far only online radio......i have two items an ipod 3rd gen 64gb full......and iphone 64gbs full.

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #16,059 of 29,490
Less is more.
I suggest you buy one by one (unless you buy that many items for many people or for different location, and spend time listing to them). On the next one, you do the same. You can have more experience that way. 
Just my 2 cent.

Quote:
hi im new to this world been reading the forum for about 4 days now ...basically what i gathered from a lot of people is that every headphone is good 
atsmile.gif
 different strokes for different folks. I want to ask advice for a newbie are the items that im buying coherent with each other i need portable headphones i work on cars and am in the bodyshop so lots of noise  and i need to zone out.

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #16,060 of 29,490
what would you recommend as a first start than.....honestly i figured the pro900 for working area.....and the sonys too when i get tired of the pro900 and the q701 for when im at the hotel ....i travel for work so i live in hotels :frowning2: ......i cut out tv, drinking , and all that stuff so im left with music lol

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #16,062 of 29,490

Budget: max 200euro (willing to go over)
Usage: 100% music
Music format: 90% FLAC, 10% streaming
Source: desktop (@work)
Music type: Mainly; Drum and bass, jazz, hiphop and soul (but also a bit of all)

Headphone/sound preferences: I currently own a Beyerdynamic DT770 pro (250ohm) for over 4 years, and I'm really satisfied with it, best build I have seen. however we are hiring more people and I really get annoyed with ambient noises. I really like the beyerdynamic because its very loose on the head, it doesn't press my glasses into my head so I am able to wear it all day.
Currently considering: DT770M, DT660(passive) or stick to the DT770 Pro but buy an Amp

What would you suggest?

Quote:
So one can assume your plugging your DT770 Pro 250-Ohm into the computer, using it's on-board (or built in?) audio.
Windows PC or Mac?

Sorry, I should've said that. Im using Windows with on-board audio (High Definition Audio support w/24-bit DAC)

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #16,063 of 29,490
Budget: max 90euros/115 usd
Usage: 95% music, 5% movies&tv
Music format: 90% MP3 V0, 10% FLAC
Source: iPhone
Music type: Techno, dubstep, old pop rock (Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Neil Young), modern pop & electro-pop.
Headphone/sound preferences: I would like a pair of closed headphones that offer detailed sound with good amount of bass. I will be using them indoors only (in relatively noisy surroundings, that's why i would prefer closed). I'm not strictly against amps, but due to my budget, i would not prefer one. They will be worn for 4-5 hours a day so comfort is very important.
Currently considering: ath-m50, sure srh-480, beyerdynamic dt770 (hard to get at my budget)

What would you suggest?

So after looking at some prices, the result are like this: i can purchase m50 used for 90 euros shipped, dt770 new for 140 euros shipped, srh-840 new 140 euros shipped. I still havent decided what to do. If the dt770 or srh-840 offer significantly better overall performance, than i guess i will go for one of them. Can someone give me some advice please?

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #16,064 of 29,490
Quote:
So after looking at some prices, the result are like this: i can purchase m50 used for 90 euros shipped, dt770 new for 140 euros shipped, srh-840 new 140 euros shipped. I still havent decided what to do. If the dt770 or srh-840 offer significantly better overall performance, than i guess i will go for one of them. Can someone give me some advice please?

I found the DT770s much, much better than the M50s. More comfortable, better soundstage, way smoother highs (the M50s were harsh and grating to my ears), full mids (the M50s mids were very lacking, or at least overshadowed by the bass and treble). The only thing I preferred on the M50 was the portability aspect and that they seal better (but the better seal comes at the cost of comfort, not worth it to me). I haven't listened to the 840's so I can't comment on them.

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:44 AM Post #16,065 of 29,490
Quote:
I found the DT770s much, much better than the M50s. More comfortable, better soundstage, way smoother highs (the M50s were harsh and grating to my ears), full mids (the M50s mids were very lacking, or at least overshadowed by the bass and treble). The only thing I preferred on the M50 was the portability aspect and that they seal better (but the better seal comes at the cost of comfort, not worth it to me). I haven't listened to the 840's so I can't comment on them.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back