++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 4, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #16,037 of 29,490
Quote:

Quote:
You might want to post in the portables section of the forum. You'll get better results. Also, in that price range you could start looking into CIEM's.

I think i maybe expresed myself poorly. I want headphones that cover the ears, so im not looking for the smallest headphones. I just meant that i dont want the biggest ones either, as i know there are some really big ones.

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #16,038 of 29,490
Quote:
Thank you, they seem to be some excellent headphones.

Thank you, they seem to be some excellent headphones.

Last question: Do you really hear a difference between a Sennheiser HD439 and the Ultrasone HFI-780 S-Logic, when listening to mp3 files (either 192 or 320 kbit/s) from an IPod? Or is the difference in sound quality mainly remarkable in studios or while listening to vinyls or .flac files?

Thanks a lot.

The Sennheiser HD 439 is forgiving on low bitrate files

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #16,040 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi all. I'm new here. I'm looking for a ~20$ headphones full-size. I will be using it ONLY on the PC to watch movies. So they have to be VERY comfortable (2+ hours continuos use). Nothing else nothing more. 

What headphone do you recommend for me? I was looking at the Sennheiser HD201 but I've read here that they are not really comfortable. 

Thanks.

Thats a good choice or the sennheiser HD 202 

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #16,041 of 29,490
Budget: max 200euro (willing to go over)
Usage: 100% music
Music format: 90% FLAC, 10% streaming
Source: desktop (@work)
Music type: Mainly; Drum and bass, jazz, hiphop and soul (but also a bit of all)

Headphone/sound preferences: I currently own a Beyerdynamic DT770 pro (250ohm) for over 4 years, and I'm really satisfied with it, best build I have seen. however we are hiring more people and I really get annoyed with ambient noises. I really like the beyerdynamic because its very loose on the head, it doesn't press my glasses into my head so I am able to wear it all day.
Currently considering: DT770M, DT660(passive) or stick to the DT770 Pro but buy an Amp

What would you suggest?

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #16,042 of 29,490
Budget: max $40
Usage: 50% streaming lectures/podcasts and 50% music
Music format: mp3/stream
Source: laptop - Toshiba R705
Music type: Indie Rock, Folks, non bass intensive
Other: Big head. Looking for over the ear.

I'm looking for inexpensive over the ear headphones hopefully under $40 for listening to lectures and music perhaps in noisier settings(trains/public transport). I don't want to get in the ear ones because everyone I have tried hurt after 30 or 40 minutes.

I have looked at Sennheiser HD 201, although common complaints indicate not enough isolation. I'm also considering the budget monoprice 8323 or even Sennheiser HD 202.

I listen to mostly indie rock/folk type of music so bass is not important. Any other suggestions appreciated. And yeah my head is giant. :)

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #16,043 of 29,490
Quote:

I think i maybe expresed myself poorly. I want headphones that cover the ears, so im not looking for the smallest headphones. I just meant that i dont want the biggest ones either, as i know there are some really big ones.

Honestly, I wouldn't be too big on carrying around headphones more than $200. Even that isn't very comfortable... Could you imagine misplacing $200 headphones...

Usually the HD-25 II 1's and the M80's are recommended for portable use. They're really easy to drive headphones as well. Not entirely sure if they'll benefit from an amp. I've never heard these personally, but they always come highly recommended from users on here. Read about each of these and get which one you think will fit you a bit better.

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #16,044 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: max 90euros/115 usd
Usage: 95% music, 5% movies&tv
Music format: 90% MP3 V0, 10% FLAC
Source: iPhone
Music type: Techno, dubstep, old pop rock (Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Neil Young), modern pop & electro-pop.
Headphone/sound preferences: I would like a pair of closed headphones that offer detailed sound with good amount of bass. I will be using them indoors only (in relatively noisy surroundings, that's why i would prefer closed). I'm not strictly against amps, but due to my budget, i would not prefer one. They will be worn for 4-5 hours a day so comfort is very important.
Currently considering: ath-m50, sure srh-480, beyerdynamic dt770 (hard to get at my budget)

What would you suggest?

Quote:
Definitely the DT770s imo.

Thanks Fortunex! I would really appreciate some more opinions on this.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #16,045 of 29,490
Budget: ~ US$80
Usage: music
Music format: 192 - 320 kbps mp3
Source: laptop with Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi external sound card
Music type: varied (hip hop, electronic, jazz, funk, soul, indie rock, classical)

So, I currently own the Grado SR80i, Audio Technica ATH AD700 and Sony MDR-XB500. Before these three, I owned the Koss UR-20. I've been enjoying all of the phones I have but I'm looking for something with a more balanced sound signature. Although I surprised by how versatile all three of the above phones are, I've been thinking of getting something a little 'flatter'. Two pairs of phones I'm thinking about are the AKG K240 Studio and the Sony MDR-V6, because these have been around for a while, are highly regarded and seem to be used extensively in studio settings.

I can't decide between the two though. I've heard some say the K240s can be a bit boomy, overly dark while the V6 can be a bit 'shrill' (is that the right term) in the highs. Which of these would you recommend, given my musical preferences. Or alternatively would you recommend something else with the kind of sound signature I'm looking for that is either closed or semi-open (i.e. K240s).

Your input is welcomed.

'crusha

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #16,046 of 29,490
Quote:
Honestly, I wouldn't be too big on carrying around headphones more than $200. Even that isn't very comfortable... Could you imagine misplacing $200 headphones...

Usually the HD-25 II 1's and the M80's are recommended for portable use. They're really easy to drive headphones as well. Not entirely sure if they'll benefit from an amp. I've never heard these personally, but they always come highly recommended from users on here. Read about each of these and get which one you think will fit you a bit better.

Misplacing headphones that are in the triple-figures as far as asking price goes, period, would suck. Hardcore. One of the reasons why I don't really wanna spend more than $50 on a pair.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #16,047 of 29,490
Quote:
Budget: max 200euro (willing to go over)
Usage: 100% music
Music format: 90% FLAC, 10% streaming
Source: desktop (@work)
Music type: Mainly; Drum and bass, jazz, hiphop and soul (but also a bit of all)

Headphone/sound preferences: I currently own a Beyerdynamic DT770 pro (250ohm) for over 4 years, and I'm really satisfied with it, best build I have seen. however we are hiring more people and I really get annoyed with ambient noises. I really like the beyerdynamic because its very loose on the head, it doesn't press my glasses into my head so I am able to wear it all day.
Currently considering: DT770M, DT660(passive) or stick to the DT770 Pro but buy an Amp

What would you suggest?

So one can assume your plugging your DT770 Pro 250-Ohm into the computer, using it's on-board (or built in?) audio.
Windows PC or Mac?

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #16,048 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks again for suggesting these. I didn't want to wait, even for Prime shipping, so I picked up a pair locally. I'm happy. I've been going through my music for 4 hours and they're still comfortable. As a bonus, the included cord is long enough to reach my receiver from my main listening position.

Can you give a little review on the on the AKG K-240? I'm interested in the comfort level for these. I have the Denon D2000 and my ears get pretty sweaty and hot after 30 mins.

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #16,049 of 29,490
Edit- 

Budget: 200-280$, I will buy used, so if a 350$ pair can be found for that price, it's good.

Usage:100% music

Music format: MP3 320/ALAC for mobile, FLAC straight from the CD on computer

Source: Computer with a Fiio E10, and an iPod Nano 3rd Gen.

Music type: Classical with lots of piano (Tchaikovsky and the like), Rock, Metal (Dream Theater, Kamelot, Judas Priest) Vocal clarity is a must.

Headphone/sound preferences: I'd like to know if a good pair of 300$ IEMs can keep up with 300$ Over-ears. I don't exactly like warm, bass heavy headphones, as long as the bass can hold it's own in the music I listen to, it's good there. I'll happily mod headphones too if needed.
I do like the idea of being able to carry around something that sounds great, without having to carry over ears. On ears I might consider, but only if they're known for being comfortable, since I've never been a huge fan of on-ears.
As much isolation as possible if IEMs, if they're over-ear, I can deal with open-air, but I'd prefer IEMs I think

Currently considering: Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 250ohm, Sennheiser HD600 (used), Sennheiser IE8, AKG Q701 (Which I question since they are notoriously hard to drive).

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #16,050 of 29,490
Budget: max 350
Usage: 80% music, 10% movies&tv, 10% podcasts
Music format: MP3 
Source: iPhone
Music type: Rap, Dubstep 
Headphone/sound preferences: I would like a pair of headphones that have good sound quality and can also block out noises around me since I will be living in a dorm. Comfort is huge since I often fall asleep listening to music or tv on my macbook pro. I dont know much about headphones but if you have any other questions feel free to send me a message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back