++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jul 1, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #15,901 of 29,490
Quote:

Take a close look (and listen if you can) to the Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones.  They are great buy for the sound they deliver at $50 +/- U.S. street price.

Thanks for the input, they appear to be pretty much everything I was looking for outside of audio quality, and I'll look around for reviews on that. Thanks again!

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #15,902 of 29,490
Quote:
not sure what exactly you mean by sound signature, but i listen to a lot of dubstep, dnb, r&b.

This means the sound type that you want your headphones to exhibit.  I have understood you to say that you want enhanced bass, at least somewhat more than neutral.  What about the mids and highs?  Do you value slam, clairty and/or a wide and/or deep sound stage?  Of all of this (and more) , what is the most important?

You might want to read the two buying guides linked in the first post of this thread.  They may give you an idea of what's "in the store".

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #15,903 of 29,490
This means the sound type that you want your headphones to exhibit.  I have understood you to say that you want enhanced bass, at least somewhat more than neutral.  What about the mids and highs?  Do you value slam, clairty and/or a wide and/or deep sound stage?  Of all of this (and more) , what is the most important?

You might want to read the two buying guides linked in the first post of this thread.  They may give you an idea of what's "in the store".

Id say "slam" is what I'm looking for with clarity coming in a close 2nd. I'd like to be able to crank it up and not disturb my neighbors in the library, and I'd like to be COMPLETELY isolated from the chatter of the freshmen in the next cubicles :p

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #15,904 of 29,490
Quote:
Id say "slam" is what I'm looking for with clarity coming in a close 2nd. I'd like to be able to crank it up and not disturb my neighbors in the library, and I'd like to be COMPLETELY isolated from the chatter of the freshmen in the next cubicles :p

Slam and clarity can be a bit of a challenge to find in can--even in your price range.  The best match for you seems to be the Ultrasone Pro 750.  Just be sure that your amp will drive them.  I don't have any portable amps, so I can't give you an answer on that.

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #15,905 of 29,490
Quote:

Do in mean the DT 770 is its various flavors?  Where do you live?

I'm from Latvia (Europe). 
As for DT 770 - I mean whether they might be better suited for my music needs. I listen to various genres, but mostly it's rock (all kinds of it) & dubstep.
As for bass - I can get by with not having really strong bass, if the phones provide a clear sound for other genres.
The other options were Senns HD 518, Grado SR80i, AT ATH-M50 & the ones you mentioned -  KRK KNS 8400 or Ultrasone HiFi 780.

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #15,906 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm from Latvia (Europe). 
As for DT 770 - I mean whether they might be better suited for my music needs. I listen to various genres, but mostly it's rock (all kinds of it) & dubstep.
As for bass - I can get by with not having really strong bass, if the phones provide a clear sound for other genres.
The other options were Senns HD 518, Grado SR80i, AT ATH-M50 & the ones you mentioned -  KRK KNS 8400 or Ultrasone HiFi 780.

The DT 770's need to be properly amped--even the 80 Ohm version (mine is the 250 Ohm Pro version).  If properly amped (can't help you with portable amp choices--I don't have any), they will work for you, provided you're OK with recessed mids. The 770's have great build quality and are very comfortable.

The Grado and Senn are both open, so make sure sound leakage is OK for you, if you select either.  

The M50 has recessed mids like the 770.  The 770 has better sub-bass than the M50.

The 780 has less recessed mids than the 770 and M50.  It has a bit of Grado like brightness and good slam.  Along with the Grado, it's the easiest to drive.

The 518 and 8400 are the most neutral.  The 8400 will give the most studio like take on the music, while the open Senn provides a smooth forgiving sound that is a bit light in bass for most dub step fans.  These two will be your best all arrounders.

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #15,907 of 29,490
Quote:

The DT 770's need to be properly amped--even the 80 Ohm version (mine is the 250 Ohm Pro version).  If properly amped (can't help you with portable amp choices--I don't have any), they will work for you, provided you're OK with recessed mids. The 770's have great build quality and are very comfortable.

The Grado and Senn are both open, so make sure sound leakage is OK for you, if you select either.  

The M50 has recessed mids like the 770.  The 770 has better sub-bass than the M50.

The 780 has less recessed mids than the 770 and M50.  It has a bit of Grado like brightness and good slam.  Along with the Grado, it's the easiest to drive.

The 518 and 8400 are the most neutral.  The 8400 will give the most studio like take on the music, while the open Senn provides a smooth forgiving sound that is a bit light in bass for most dub step fans.  These two will be your best all arrounders.

That should make the decision easier! Thank you! :)

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #15,908 of 29,490
Quote:
What source(s) are you plugging he headphones into?

I'm guessing you meant it as the device I plug my phones in?
In that case PC & MacBook.
Might use with HTC Desire from time to time, but with SkullCandy Ink'd ear-buds not the full sized phones. I prefer smaller and more compact devices when on the move, and I'm guessing an AMP won't really improve the quality a lot with that setup :)

Jul 1, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #15,909 of 29,490
Slam and clarity can be a bit of a challenge to find in can--even in your price range.  The best match for you seems to be the Ultrasone Pro 750.  Just be sure that your amp will drive them.  I don't have any portable amps, so I can't give you an answer on that.

Thanks for the recommendations I'll look into it. So you can assure me that I can crank those boys up and not be heard by a friend sitting right next to me in a dead silent room? What about the U/S pro 900s?

Any recs for a more hefty amp to drive them?

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #15,910 of 29,490
I want to get some headphones for my father.  He has pretty bad hearing and uses a hearing aid.  I want something that will help him understand speech in TV and movies.  Being good for music would be a plus.  Something around $100 or less, preferably.  Any suggestions?

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #15,911 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

I need a very durable headphone for my daily use. Preferably one that is easily repairable (change wires, detachable (?) etc2). I don't usually commute using my headphones but it'd be great to have an all rounder type. My problem with headsets that I've owned so far are the wires - so if you have any recommendations of a headset with great cables, and a very strong and durable body but not too big, please do reply. 

- Price: $200+-, but if its more on the upper part of the price I'm willing to pay, then it should be one hell of a headphone that could lasts. 
deadhorse.gif

- Rig: As of now I use my laptop and sometimes my phone w/out amp. But I'm planning to get one soon enough. =p
- What type of usage: Music (pop, slow rock, generally everything here and there but no metal) and gaming
- Headphone type: Preferably closed back with little sound leakage. 
- Others: I know v-moda produces some sturdy headphones but will the cable lasts? Oh, and it'd be great if you could also recommend some amp, or maybe not. =p

The V-Modas use 1/8 in cables that are easily replaced, but the ones they come with are quite durable.

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #15,912 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations I'll look into it. So you can assure me that I can crank those boys up and not be heard by a friend sitting right next to me in a dead silent room? What about the U/S pro 900s?
Any recs for a more hefty amp to drive them?

I can tell you that if you play them at a reasonable volume you should not bother another reasonable person sitting close to you.  That's as far as I would go with any cans.

I have not heard the 900's.  From what I have read, I would expect them to be aimed just a bit more toward the basshead or basshead lite markets.

I don't have any portable amps, so I cannot help you with that.

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #15,913 of 29,490
So.. last night I had a realization I want a new pair of headphones. I'm actually deciding between earbuds and full size cans, but that's once I narrow my full size headphone search down. 

Price really isn't that big of a factor but I don't want to pay more than $600 and I have a few cans picked out. 

If I use some wrong terms don't penalize me! It's been about a year+ since I've last rally been active on here! Anyways, here's what I was thinking. 

Denon D5000 - I remember I loved these when I owned them, and I remember they had an insane bass punch to them. I will admit I love bass, and these really delivered but I don't know how they will fit as I like a clean tight bass punch that's very well controlled. that's all I remember about them I can't really remember the mids or highs being very good or not? 

Beyerdynamic T70p - I've been reading up on these and it seems like these are pretty solid headphones. I don't know how they would really stack up against the D5ks but I may or may not know if I would like them. Isolation is also really good and I NEED isolation as I hate hearing other stuff mixed into my music. 

Those are the two I think I've narrowed it down to? But then again if there's a better pair for less money (Closed back only!!) then I will also consider it. I mainly listen to harder rock / metal, but occasionally I listen to jam bands like phish or the likes. 

So what I'm really asking is how would they compare? I am trying to not purchase them and then hate them the next day, I wanna be able to say, wow I love these! I'll never sell them! Also I'm not in the market for an expensive amp just one that's low priced and gives a bit more lows especially if I'm going for the T70p's. 

Anyways any helpful suggestions on which to lean to will be more than appreciated! 

Thanks! 

Yeah yeah yeah, tl;dr, if you want the summed up version... T70p vs. D5000? which should I get? 

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #15,914 of 29,490
Quote:
You'll probably look like a goober wearing DT770s while lifting weights... just my opinion. 
bigsmile_face.gif

How would I look wearing DT770s or MDR-7506s on a bus commute? XD

Jul 1, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #15,915 of 29,490
Quote:

How would I look wearing DT770s or MDR-7506s on a bus commute? XD

In both cases you would be cutting a unique image. 

With the DT770 your image would be both bigger and more unique.  However, you probably wouldn't be able to hear anyone mentioning it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back