++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #15,888 of 29,490
Hi, I'm a newbie so bear with me.
I listen mostly to classical and a bit of j-pop, and am currently using my sansa fuze as a source( though I'll probably get an HRT music streamer 2 soon) and the G&W TW-J9 transistor amp. I can get a pair of German Maestro GMP 450 for 170USD(I'm in Taiwan) and it sounded pretty good to me, certainly better than any other can for the price. However, being the newb I am, I'd appreciate it if you guys could recommend any others that I ought to try out before I buy them. I've already tried some of cans that I've seen popping up in headfi every now and then(sennheiser hd 25, ath m50, shure 840 ,etc) though I felt they either didn't work for me due to their sound signature or  sounded like (to me) a lesser product when compared to the GMP 450.
Oh, forgot to say that I looking for closed cans.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #15,890 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I need a very durable headphone for my daily use. Preferably one that is easily repairable (change wires, detachable (?) etc2). I don't usually commute using my headphones but it'd be great to have an all rounder type. My problem with headsets that I've owned so far are the wires - so if you have any recommendations of a headset with great cables, and a very strong and durable body but not too big, please do reply. 

- Price: $200+-, but if its more on the upper part of the price I'm willing to pay, then it should be one hell of a headphone that could lasts. 
deadhorse.gif

- Rig: As of now I use my laptop and sometimes my phone w/out amp. But I'm planning to get one soon enough. =p
- What type of usage: Music (pop, slow rock, generally everything here and there but no metal) and gaming
- Headphone type: Preferably closed back with little sound leakage. 
- Others: I know v-moda produces some sturdy headphones but will the cable lasts? Oh, and it'd be great if you could also recommend some amp, or maybe not. =p

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #15,891 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking of getting new phones + AMP.
At the moment leaning towards Sennheiser HD 518 + FiiO E11.
I've also looked at Grado SR80i & Audio-Technica ATH-M50.
Mostly listening to Rock & Dubstep. Which of those phones would be most suited for that? Any alternatives are welcome (I really don't want to spend more than 150$ on phones).

What source(s) are you plugging he headphones into?

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #15,892 of 29,490

Hey guys,

I need a very durable headphone for my daily use. Preferably one that is easily repairable (change wires, detachable (?) etc2). I don't usually commute using my headphones but it'd be great to have an all rounder type. My problem with headsets that I've owned so far are the wires - so if you have any recommendations of a headset with great cables, and a very strong and durable body but not too big, please do reply. 

- Price: $200+-, but if its more on the upper part of the price I'm willing to pay, then it should be one hell of a headphone that could lasts. 
deadhorse.gif

- Rig: As of now I use my laptop and sometimes my phone w/out amp. But I'm planning to get one soon enough. =p
- What type of usage: Music (pop, slow rock, generally everything here and there but no metal) and gaming
- Headphone type: Preferably closed back with little sound leakage. 
- Others: I know v-moda produces some sturdy headphones but will the cable lasts? Oh, and it'd be great if you could also recommend some amp, or maybe not. =p

Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro
Sennheiser HD 558/598
AKG K702 

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #15,893 of 29,490
I'm looking for some headphones. I have some fischer audio eterna's with a fiio e11 amp and LOVE the sound quality, but would like some full size phones. I had some sennheiser hd595's a few years ago and wasn't too impressed (no amp back then).

I need sound cancellation (med student studying in library majority of time) and some bass kick would be nice.

Any recommendations? I'd like to keep it around $3-400. Thanks!

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #15,895 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for some headphones. I have some fischer audio eterna's with a fiio e11 amp and LOVE the sound quality, but would like some full size phones. I had some sennheiser hd595's a few years ago and wasn't too impressed (no amp back then).
I need sound cancellation (med student studying in library majority of time) and some bass kick would be nice.
Any recommendations? I'd like to keep it around $3-400. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the Fischer.  What are the characteristics of the sound signature that you prefer (in addition to some bass kick)?

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #15,896 of 29,490
Hey, I'm looking for apair of headphones mainly for electro music but also for clasic music.
I need something with deep sound and not messy meaning no gap between high and low, alsow I have trouble with high sounds.
I've been using the akg k518le for the past 2 years and have been very happy with them.I tried many skullcandy headphone but didn't like them at all , I tried the beats solo and studio and HATED them.
I'm looking for comfortable pair with some looks as well :) .
I've been thinking about the klipsh m40 what else is there at this level?

And what player can I use without compromising the sound?
Thanks in advance.

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #15,899 of 29,490
Hey everybody, I've recently gotten the urge to make my headphone experience a little more enjoyable (which is why I've joined Head-Fi and been searching through the site for the past few days).

The only real problem with my search is that I happen to have quite a unique set of preferences. As for what I'm looking for in the headphones themselves:

• Budget of $50-75. This is fairly strict, but I am willing to go over a little for an exceptionally good deal. (also I'm willing to wait for deals that happen fairly often to purchase seeing as what I have now works fine)
  • Good all around sound. I listen to pretty much everything in addition to playing games and would much prefer something that can do everything well than a few things great.
  • Single sided cord. Not sure if this is the technical term, but I almost require this feature after dealing with the annoyance that is a cord going to each ear.
  • I would love extra features like detachable cord, coiled cord, and easily exchangeable earpads, but I can live without those.
  • I don't really care about open or closed back as these will mostly be used in private.
  • Over the ear design.
  • These will be used almost exclusively with my computer through an ASUS Xonar DG sound card then a Technics SU-G90 stereo amplifier's headphone jack.
  • I like a very "wide" sound from my music. I like the highs almost piercing and the lows very deep and somewhere between smooth and rumbling, but for some reason, I don't really notice much out of mids until they get to the point where they're obviously overbearing.

As for what I've been looking through, I've been mostly looking at the Sony MDR-V6 and the Audio Technica ATH-m35 but just today heard about the apparently high value Superlux headphones.

Would one of these be the general best choice for what I'm looking for, or is there some special gem that I haven't discovered that has all the features I desire?

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #15,900 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey everybody, I've recently gotten the urge to make my headphone experience a little more enjoyable (which is why I've joined Head-Fi and been searching through the site for the past few days).

The only real problem with my search is that I happen to have quite a unique set of preferences. As for what I'm looking for in the headphones themselves:

• Budget of $50-75. This is fairly strict, but I am willing to go over a little for an exceptionally good deal. (also I'm willing to wait for deals that happen fairly often to purchase seeing as what I have now works fine)
  • Good all around sound. I listen to pretty much everything in addition to playing games and would much prefer something that can do everything well than a few things great.
  • Single sided cord. Not sure if this is the technical term, but I almost require this feature after dealing with the annoyance that is a cord going to each ear.
  • I would love extra features like detachable cord, coiled cord, and easily exchangeable earpads, but I can live without those.
  • I don't really care about open or closed back as these will mostly be used in private.
  • Over the ear design.
  • These will be used almost exclusively with my computer through an ASUS Xonar DG sound card then a Technics SU-G90 stereo amplifier's headphone jack.
  • I like a very "wide" sound from my music. I like the highs almost piercing and the lows very deep and somewhere between smooth and rumbling, but for some reason, I don't really notice much out of mids until they get to the point where they're obviously overbearing.

As for what I've been looking through, I've been mostly looking at the Sony MDR-V6 and the Audio Technica ATH-m35 but just today heard about the apparently high value Superlux headphones.

Would one of these be the general best choice for what I'm looking for, or is there some special gem that I haven't discovered that has all the features I desire?

Take a close look (and listen if you can) to the Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones.  They are great buy for the sound they deliver at $50 +/- U.S. street price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back