++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 30, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #15,856 of 29,490
Quote:
tl;dr have krk kns 8400 (like it), looking for open alternative/upgrade

Hey guys,

I've had krk kns 8400s for about 5 months now. They're my first headphones and I've really enjoyed some of its qualities as listed below:

- detail
- clarity/presentation of instruments (guitar/drums in particular)
- 'punchy' sound
- comfortable ear pads/fit (headband took a little while to get used to)

Being my first pair, it's difficult to really say which qualities I like relative to anything else. If there were things I'd like improved with my listening experience they'd be:

- soundstage
- bass presence (I do appreciate the quality of the bass in the kns 8400s)
- musicality? (hardly quantitative...)

So are there any suggestions to open headphones which may fit the bill? Not overly concerned about price, just phones to look into.

From what will you be playing these new cans?  Amp?  What is the format of your music?

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #15,857 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm sorry to bump my post, but I still need some guidance.

The fact of the matter is that only a limited selection of decent cans can be found in the $30-ish price range.  As I am not a bass head, the best I can do is to refer you to the the two buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  Perhaps the something like the JVC HARX700 or Panasonic RP-HTF600-S will be to your liking and can be found within your budget.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #15,859 of 29,490
Quote:

Assuming you are listening to music in a format like FLAK, the Grado RS 2i, or the Senn HD 650--if your FiiO can push them (or if you get an amp that can).

Thanks for the response. I'm listening to FLACs and 320kbs. I'm just wondering if there is any area in which the Senn HD600/650 may be lacking over the KNS 8400s? I understand the Grados are known for their speed while I have noted some observations that the Senn 600s can potentially get congested with some music (e.g. metal, admittedly I only really listen to a bit of Tool and Metallica).

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #15,860 of 29,490
Quote:

The fact of the matter is that only a limited selection of decent cans can be found in the $30-ish price range.  As I am not a bass head, the best I can do is to refer you to the the two buying guides linked in the opening post of this thread.  Perhaps the something like the JVC HARX700 or Panasonic RP-HTF600-S will be to your liking and can be found within your budget.

Maybe the Monoprice DJ's?

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #15,861 of 29,490
Forget my long post on the previous page, I have found a discount on the Ultrasone HFI 2400, from €249 to €164. Is this a good headphone if I am looking for when I am listening to bands like Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica and music genres like Power metal, Symphonic metal, DnB and dubstep?

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #15,862 of 29,490
Hello I need some help choosing which headphones I should buy...

Budget: Under $200
Sound quality: Awesome sound quality with no real need for a headphone amp

Comfort: I will be using them for extended periods of time.

I'm looking for headphones with No sound leakage!!!!

I mostly listen to Deathcore/Death Metal, Heavy stuff.  I do have some options in mind which are the Audiotechnica ath m50's and the ultrasone hfi 780's but I am open to suggestions If you know what you're talking about :)

Thanks to everyone in advance 
L3000.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #15,863 of 29,490
Quote:

I mostly listen to Deathcore/Death Metal, Heavy stuff.  I do have some options in mind which are the Audiotechnica ath m50's and the ultrasone hfi 780's but I am open to suggestions If you know what you're talking about :)

L3000.gif

From the closed ears I've tried, I think the Ath-M50 is satisfying for what you want. You should find them around $110-120, too! 

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #15,864 of 29,490
I just purchased my first pair of real headphones, the Koss Pro DJ 100. Unfortunately I am not particularly happy with them, and I have no interest in buying an amp, so i'm looking to sell them and buy another pair instead, with a max price being ~$150. I listen to mostly alternative, classical, and indie/rock. I never listen to rap/metal/dubstep. My favorite band is Muse, if that helps at all. Again, I have no intention of buying an amp, so I need headphones that can be driven from my Macbook Pro and iPod Touch.

My main contenders right now are:
ATH-M50 - I am leaning towards this due to price and that fact that people say they dont benefit from an amp. However, I have also heard that they arent great for classical. Is this true?
KNS-8400
SRH840

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out in deciding which pair I should get. I am not experienced with high end audio, so any help would be great.

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #15,865 of 29,490
Quote:
Forget my long post on the previous page, I have found a discount on the Ultrasone HFI 2400, from €249 to €164. Is this a good headphone if I am looking for when I am listening to bands like Blind Guardian, Sonata Arctica and music genres like Power metal, Symphonic metal, DnB and dubstep?

It should be a good match.  It has plenty of bass and slam.

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #15,866 of 29,490
Quote:
I just purchased my first pair of real headphones, the Koss Pro DJ 100. Unfortunately I am not particularly happy with them, and I have no interest in buying an amp, so i'm looking to sell them and buy another pair instead, with a max price being ~$150. I listen to mostly alternative, classical, and indie/rock. I never listen to rap/metal/dubstep. My favorite band is Muse, if that helps at all. Again, I have no intention of buying an amp, so I need headphones that can be driven from my Macbook Pro and iPod Touch.

My main contenders right now are:
ATH-M50 - I am leaning towards this due to price and that fact that people say they dont benefit from an amp. However, I have also heard that they arent great for classical. Is this true?
KNS-8400
SRH840

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out in deciding which pair I should get. I am not experienced with high end audio, so any help would be great.

From what I've heard about the ATH-M50 is the poor surround sound, the ATH-M50 is more a bass and treble headphone.

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #15,868 of 29,490
Hey so i need some advice.

So I'm looking to get my first headphone amp. But here's the issue, the headphone jack on my computer has gone out. To fix this I've decided to buy and external DAC. I've happened upon the Fiio E 10. Which is a good DAC for the money(or at least that's what I've heard). But its apparently a poor amp. 

In essence what this boils down to is i need to get an amp to mate with the Fiio e10. The cheaper the better, as in around $50-ish 

Now if there's a better way to do this I'd love to hear it and thanks in advance.

Personal preferences:
Music: Primarily rock of an intricate and hard nature.
Sound: Neutral Preferred  Mid emphasis if anything
Primary Cans: Shure srh-840 But would like to use it with many future headphones.

Many thanks,
-Mat

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #15,869 of 29,490
I won't bother you much, and I will try to be as short and concise as I can. I LOVE music and all emotions that flows from it. Music gives me a cretin freedom I can seldom have. When I do, I don’t listen one song, but entire album at best quality I can get- 320 or lossless. Genres are mostly rock an metal and almost all sub-categories (mtv pop, punk derivates and death sounds are not in my liking). Also, smooth and acid jazz- very fond of it, classical music and ambient from time to time. Usually it's Dream Theatre, Kansas, CCWR, ACDC, Maiden, Blind Guardians, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Doors, Who, Queen and such. Rammstein and Godsmack when I'm really down. Also, Nora Jones, Police, Chopin, Vivaldi, atc.
Recently, Sennheiser made cx 175 and they are cheep. I cant find anywhere a good review, so Im asking here- will they do any good and how do they stack up to apples default ones- I just know how they sound, so just for compartment.
Thx :wink:

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #15,870 of 29,490
Quote:

L3000.gif

You're on the right track.  No amp limits you--especially for closed in what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back