++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 28, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #15,826 of 29,490
Thanks for the reply.

I'll look into Brainwavz HM5. If it's an upgrade to the  SR80i. And I guess I'll stick with FiiO E7, seems like it should be enough for my needs.

Edit: found a HM5+E17 bundle for 229$, and thats with free delivery, seems like a crazy good deal. Sigh, guess I'll have to order overseas after all :frowning2: FA-003+E17 would cost me 350$ with delivery locally.

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #15,827 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I'll look into Brainwavz HM5. If it's an upgrade to the  SR80i. And I guess I'll stick with FiiO E7, seems like it should be enough for my needs.

Edit: found a HM5+E17 bundle for 229$, and thats with free delivery, seems like a crazy good deal. Sigh, guess I'll have to order overseas after all :frowning2: FA-003+E17 would cost me 350$ with delivery locally.

The FA-003 (and all the rebrands) are very very different from the Grado line. The 003 is around ear, closed, with a neutral sound.  The SR80 is on ear, open, and is known for boosted treble.  Given the differences, it'd be hard to call one an upgrade over the other.  The bundle sounds good though.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #15,828 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi everyone
i am looking for some headphones and here are the parameters
budget: max 500 dolllars
sound: I LOVE BASS!!!!! Of course everything else, the treble and the mids, have to be fine also. But I just love the rumble of sub-bass.
portable: yep. This has to be portable, so no amps. something that can be easily driven by iPods and laptops
comfort: well the longest ill ever use is two to three hours. mostly thirty minute sessions
isolationleakage is fine. but it would be nice to block out sound. not a very important priority though
genre: dubstep, hip hop, rap, r and b, dance, electronic
(flo rida, chris brown, avicii, skrillex, deadmau5, usher, maroon5, etc)

possibility I've thought of the beats pro (PLEASE DONT KILL ME FOR THIS, IMMA NOOB) although i hope there are better options out there

Looks I know this may sound stupid, but looks are important. After all, I am a high-school student and I do want some swag in my headphones. But these are definitely not my first priority. SOund is more important. But just as a bonus....

thanks in advance

I'd recommend any V-Moda headphone. Do you want it to be closed or open. (I prefer closed.) There will be a new headphone by V-Moda coming out called the M100's so if you'd rather wait for it to come out (which I am) you should get it. But if you want it now probably the M80's (they are open headphones) or the Crossfades LP2 (closed headphones)

Also you're lucky I didn't kill you (thinking about the beats pro) because you like skrillex and deadmau5 (I do too) 

And for the "looks" it mostly depends on your opinion but I think they look great. V-Moda also doesn't put a lot of branding on the headphones and if you want it lets you purchase a kit to personalize the shields with your name or whatever you like. Here's some pics:

Everything it comes with

all_ear_pads__68621_std.jpg

Personalized shields that you could buy                                         Different ear pad colors

P.S. I'm not in highschool. Only going into 6th grade and don't get fooled by the name, I am a girl

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #15,829 of 29,490
Hello, looking for some budget headphones.

Budget: Around $30 (I know it isn't much but it's all I can spend)
Sound: I like bass, but don't want to sacrifice too much from mid and highs for bass.
isolation: I'd prefer a decent amount of isolation but I'm more worried about sound and build quality then isolation.
genre: Dubstep (real dubstep not brostep, stuff from skream, benga, burial, distance, and such), Liquid DnB, house, trance, rock.
Notes: I've been thinking about incipio F38's or HTF600's (I'm worried about the build quality of them though). I would like to know if there are better option or deals that would be better.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #15,830 of 29,490
Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I currently have a pair of Philips O'Neill The Stretch cans that I picked up with a Best Buy gift card I had.  They've been solid, but the stretch band keeps popping off and I'm going to bump them to snowboarding only so if I trash them I don't care.

Looking for something else for other uses across all spectrums - all types of music, movies, etc.  I listen to a lot of hip hop, rock, some electronic, but a good deal of old school country, etc. as well.  I do like a bass heavy sound.  I don't want the bass to overwhelm everything else, but I do like bass heavy.  

Some that I'm considering:

Sony XB500
Panasonic HTF600

A couple of budget stretchers:
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Ultrasone HFI-580

Specifically regarding the last two, any other models in those two lines that may fit better in my budget and still work?

Just to add, any of these would be unamped most often running off of a high end Android phone, Android tablet, or desktop PC.

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #15,831 of 29,490
Hello everyone!

Currently I am using a pair of Sennheiser hd212 pros, got them a long time ago as a gift and I think my music can sound a lot better. Budget: around € 200. 
I live in the Netherlands and every store is swimming in Sennheisers and other brands are no where to be seen.
I will mostly listen to music at my PC, quiet environment and my PC doesn't make much noise. Currently using a simple Realtek Soundcard.

Music I listen the most to:
Symphonic Metal and variations of that
Power Metal
Drum and Bass
Dubstep
Acoustic Music

I have been looking around quite a bit, headphones that I have come across.

Audio Technica ADH-AD700 (I can only get these for something like € 150 while I came across them much cheaper in other currencies)
Audio Technica ATH-M50 (I read they lack bass, but I have got nothing to reference it to)
Ultrasone HFi 780 
Sennheiser HD 25 1 II (I have gathered Sennheisers have good bass)
Also some other Sennheisers of the 500 series in the price range of € 100 to € 200 or something

I am currently using a pair of Sennheiser hd212 pros as stated above and while I have read they are bass heavy, they sound the best when I go to my Realtek audio manager thingie and put the equalizer on "powerful". Without it I feel like the lower frequencies pack no punch and the other frequencies are just whimsy, when compared to the equalized setting. Does this apply to more headphones or just bad ones.

I am completely inexperienced when it comes to headphones and I have got no idea how other headphones would sound and what I should be looking for. I like bass in my music. That is about all I can say. So, how do these (or ones you think are great for my taste) headphones match up against each other?

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #15,832 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone!

Currently I am using a pair of Sennheiser hd212 pros, got them a long time ago as a gift and I think my music can sound a lot better. Budget: around € 200. 
I live in the Netherlands and every store is swimming in Sennheisers and other brands are no where to be seen.
I will mostly listen to music at my PC, quiet environment and my PC doesn't make much noise. Currently using a simple Realtek Soundcard.

Music I listen the most to:
Symphonic Metal and variations of that
Power Metal
Drum and Bass
Dubstep
Acoustic Music

I have been looking around quite a bit, headphones that I have come across.

Audio Technica ADH-AD700 (I can only get these for something like € 150 while I came across them much cheaper in other currencies)
Audio Technica ATH-M50 (I read they lack bass, but I have got nothing to reference it to)
Ultrasone HFi 780 
Sennheiser HD 25 1 II (I have gathered Sennheisers have good bass)
Also some other Sennheisers of the 500 series in the price range of € 100 to € 200 or something

I am currently using a pair of Sennheiser hd212 pros as stated above and while I have read they are bass heavy, they sound the best when I go to my Realtek audio manager thingie and put the equalizer on "powerful". Without it I feel like the lower frequencies pack no punch and the other frequencies are just whimsy, when compared to the equalized setting. Does this apply to more headphones or just bad ones.

I am completely inexperienced when it comes to headphones and I have got no idea how other headphones would sound and what I should be looking for. I like bass in my music. That is about all I can say. So, how do these (or ones you think are great for my taste) headphones match up against each other?

I'll be on for some 2 hours today for quick replies.

The M50 doesn't lack bass, but the bass response isn't as elegant as some others, like perhaps the SRH840

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #15,833 of 29,490
Quote:
I've come here for help. I've had my KRK 8400s for 23 days but naturally don't love them like I thought I would. Actually it's not even naturally like. I have 30 days return policy but would like to decide on the next step before the last second if that is possible.

Here's the thing. When I put them on, they sound ok, for a little while, then something weird happens, like something is missing from all sounds I hear through them. The only way I can describe it is trying to remember the fine details of a non lifelike dream. It's most apparant in the bass section, I can sense it there, but not enough for it to fully register as fully clear. It feels hidden. Other sections, they sound present but "unformed" as well. The soundstage feels not thin, but at the same time, the sound feels like it's coming from a "wrong" angle, so it feels like I need to move the ear pads all over the place to compensate yet nothing works. What the heck would you call this? Is this even normal? These are my first pair of headphones, as in ever, not just nice ones, I never used earbuds or cheap headphones for fear of learning a bad sound signature as correct. I rarely experience this with speakers, actually sounds alwyas sound "formed". Would an open headphone solve this? How much sound do they really leak?

Not sure wether to bite the bullet and start over with something else. I want to try headphones in genereal though since now when I listen to my AV 40s, they sound bloated, undetailed, bass heavy, veiled... they sound really bad. Of couse I never get fatigue or the weird angle problem though. I find the 8400s to be UNmusical the longer I listen to them. I also find that it makes music fatiguing quicker. I'm not sure if it's just the KRK being unmusical or it's resolving the crap out of the loudness wars music I listen to, making it sound even worse (I am extremely sensitive dynamics and soundstage - I feel like I naturally pick up and focus on these two elements - and all loudness war victims are known for having weak low end, boxy soundstage, little dynamics and transient clarity - could the KRKs just be further revealing how bad everything is and that's why they sound fatiguing faster?)

I listen to mostly dance music and electronic and everywhere they meet. Sometimes pop music is with "balanced" electronic influences like Lights or Breathe Carolina, but also more poppy, like Britney Spears or Kesha. I like mainly female vocalists but occasionally like male ones (I love Example, the british rapper). I also go beyond mainstream also listen to Ellen Allien, Autechre, and love 90s label releases in general from Rephlex, Warp, and Planet Mu. I like bass heavy music but am not a fan of hip hop or rap that music. I really like electronic music that is adventourous and blends multiple styles. I don't listen to much guitar music or rock, but I would like if I knew where to look. I like guitar sound Sleight Bells - Road To Hell and "You Lost Me". I also love whatever this is like crazy I like Sleigh Bells though. I also like whatever the hell these background guitars are doing when they go into the high notes.

Willing to spend up to $150, only have the Creative X-Fi Go Pro amp. Will buy online, would hope to see them JR (where my KRK 8400s are from).

Can we bump our own posts lol? It was totally forgotten.

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #15,835 of 29,490
Quote:
Can we bump our own posts lol? It was totally forgotten.

You might want to wait more then a hour and 27 minutes for bumping your post, maybe like wait a day or at least half a day.
Also your post is kind of long and filled with too many details, so I'm sure some started to read your post then gave up after the first paragraph and passed on it.
Some of us have brains that can only absorb so much info at a time (like me).

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #15,836 of 29,490
I would like a bump on my 4 days old post. Although I do admit I made mine rather long. I was only trying to give you guys as much info about the experience with audio tech I have and my needs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/15750#post_8481557

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #15,837 of 29,490
Quote:
I would like a bump on my 4 days old post. Although I do admit I made mine rather long. I was only trying to give you guys as much info about the experience with audio tech I have and my needs.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op/15750#post_8481557

I'm guessing your post was so long and too many details, that no one want to take the time to read the whole thing.
With long posts it sometimes hard to understand what the questions is.

Try reasking/posting your question in five lines or less maybe?

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #15,838 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm guessing your post was so long and too many details, that on one want to take the time to read the whole thing.
With long posts it sometimes hard to understand what the questions is.

Try reasking/posting your question in five lines or less maybe?

Perhaps open with your question and then provide the necessary details.

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #15,839 of 29,490
  1. It's been ages since I bought a decent pair of headphones. Still rocking a Creative Fatal1ty Analog stereo headset bought with my inexperience. Was going to buy the Fatal1ty MkII, discontinued, perhaps I was saved from a regretful purchase.
  2. Ideally I'm looking for a headset but if I need to make a compromise I will.
  3. I think I would like something with neutral sound. But bass is preferable to treble.
  4. I don't listen to as much music as I would like to because I seem to suffer from ear fatigue. Help please.

Use: 60% Gaming, 30% Movies/TV Shows and 10% Music

Music taste: It varies and I'm diverse. But I tend to cycle through stuff like Linkin Park, System of a Down, Deadmau5, other dubstep, other drum & bass, classic rock, ACDC, J-Pop, J-Rock (Asian Kung-Fu Generation, HIGH AND MIGHTY COLOR), Boom Boom Satellites, Daft Punk.
Current equipmentCreative Fatal1ty Mk1 analog headset and Logitech G51
ir
 speakers
Price range: I know you guys apologise to people's wallets beforehand but I hope not to make too big a hole in mine. £100/$200, more if necessary or worthy.
Amp: An amp might not be ideal for me because I plan to use it with my phone.
Audio source: At home- Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum Champion Series soundcard
On the go- HTC Desire HD for watching TV shows. Plan to move up to a Samsung Galazy S2/S3.
Track quality: All my music is FLAC where possible otherwise 320Kbps MP3.
Mobility: If size is the question then I have no problem. I ride the train with my current headset (microphone detached) despite the looks I seem get sometimes. But becuase I use it on the train with my phone I don't think an amp will be ideal.

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #15,840 of 29,490
thanks mistarobotics
I will look into v-moda

Users who are viewing this thread

Back