++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 11, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #15,376 of 29,490
hey guys... I'm planning to buy a new headphone.. I found AD700 for half the price and SR225i for also half the MSRprice... as far as i understand both are bright phones and that is what I'm aiming for... What I wanted to know is, which will give me more detail on the high region? they both now are roughly around the same price, which one will worth the money?

thanks very much guys!

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #15,377 of 29,490
Hey guys,

Looking for a recommendation for a closed, over-ear (or very comfortable on-ear) set of cans to use primarily in the office.  The genres I listen to are pretty varied: probably about 40% rock (alternative, indie, classic rock, new-wave, post-punk, etc.)  40% electronic dance music (trance, house, progressive, etc) and 20% a mixture of just about everything else (jazz, classical, blues, bluegrass, hip-hop, etc.) So basically looking for something as versatile as possible, but definitely needs to be good for rock/EDM. 

The following are the ‘phones I own already and what I like/dislike about them.
  1. Alessandro MS1i – love the clarity and awesome soundstage, especially for rock. could use a little more bass.  Would use them in the office w/ a little bit of bass boost if they didn’t leak so much.  Love the retro styling as well.
  2. Shure SE215 – this was my first “real” audiophile purchase.  Liked just about everything about the signature, except that the treble can be a little fatiguing.  They isolate too much for the office though, because I can never hear when someone is trying to get my attention. IEM’s also are a hassle for me to take out/re-insert whenever someone comes over to talk to me.  Also not super comfortable for me to wear more than an hour or so.

So it looks like my criteria are:

• Closed design and/or won’t bother my coworkers
  • Good SQ for rock/EDM, big soundstage definitely a plus
  • Comfortable to wear for hours at a time
  • Would be great if they also have nice aesthetics, but not a requirement

I’ve been looking at the ATH-M50’s, but have read mixed things about how good they will be for rock and EDM.  Any other recommendations around the same price point (or less)?  Thanks!

EDIT: I have a Fiio e11 so impedance/sensitivity won't be a concern

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #15,378 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

Looking for a recommendation for a closed, over-ear (or very comfortable on-ear) set of cans to use primarily in the office.  The genres I listen to are pretty varied: probably about 40% rock (alternative, indie, classic rock, new-wave, post-punk, etc.)  40% electronic dance music (trance, house, progressive, etc) and 20% a mixture of just about everything else (jazz, classical, blues, bluegrass, hip-hop, etc.) So basically looking for something as versatile as possible, but definitely needs to be good for rock/EDM. 

The following are the ‘phones I own already and what I like/dislike about them.
  1. Alessandro MS1i – love the clarity and awesome soundstage, especially for rock. could use a little more bass.  Would use them in the office w/ a little bit of bass boost if they didn’t leak so much.  Love the retro styling as well.
  2. Shure SE215 – this was my first “real” audiophile purchase.  Liked just about everything about the signature, except that the treble can be a little fatiguing.  They isolate too much for the office though, because I can never hear when someone is trying to get my attention. IEM’s also are a hassle for me to take out/re-insert whenever someone comes over to talk to me.  Also not super comfortable for me to wear more than an hour or so.

So it looks like my criteria are:

• Closed design and/or won’t bother my coworkers
  • Good SQ for rock/EDM, big soundstage definitely a plus
  • Comfortable to wear for hours at a time
  • Would be great if they also have nice aesthetics, but not a requirement

I’ve been looking at the ATH-M50’s, but have read mixed things about how good they will be for rock and EDM.  Any other recommendations around the same price point (or less)?  Thanks!

EDIT: I have a Fiio e11 so impedance/sensitivity won't be a concern

Maybe KRK KNS 8400, though they might not have the bass you want for EDM, they'll be pretty good for most other genres and are very comfortable, have great detailing, good soundstage (especially given the price) and are very comfortable. They look a little goofy on the head though, since the arms come out pretty far.
Oh, and they're designed for studio use, so they isolate sound pretty well and don't leak very much, if at all.

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #15,379 of 29,490
Quote:
Maybe KRK KNS 8400, though they might not have the bass you want for EDM, they'll be pretty good for most other genres and are very comfortable, have great detailing, good soundstage (especially given the price) and are very comfortable. They look a little goofy on the head though, since the arms come out pretty far.
Oh, and they're designed for studio use, so they isolate sound pretty well and don't leak very much, if at all.

Thanks, looks like a great option.  Can anyone compare them to the M50's?  The only thing that makes me hesitant is that some of the review's of the KRK's that I've been reading seem to mention treble that can be fatiguing, which would be a problem for all-day listening.

I've also seen the Ultrasone HFI-780 recommended, but am also seeing comments on fatiguing treble.  

Seems like another good option might be the Koss DJ100, though i'm skeptical considering they are less than half the price of the M50's...

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #15,380 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all,

I am a newbie when it comes to your knowledge about all different kinds of headphones and I am pretty underwhelmed by all the different choices.
The headphones I stumbled upon and which looked great for my needs were the AKG K550. But I do not know if they truly are what I am searching for.
So perhaps it is best if I give all my requirements.
I am looking for headphones that are in a pricerange till [size=small]$[/size]250.
Also since I will be using them quite a lot when I am on the bus or in other loud environments I require them to be closed (dont know if this is the appropriate word), I wouldnt like to hear too much noise from other people nor make a lot of noise myself.
I mostly listen to rock and blues (big fan of the rolling stones) but I also like modern pop music. I mostly use them on portable devices or on my computer.

After some more research I also found some good reviews about the DT770. But there are different versions like the pro and the M version but also difference in ohmage. What would be the most appropriate to use with the iPod? Is the DT770 better for rock and some dance music?
Should I save some money to buy a decent amplifier?
(list of last songs: -Florence and the machine (unplugged) - Only if for a night
                         -The rolling stones - The last time 
                         -The wombats - Jump into the fog
                         -Rihanna - Who's that chick
                         -Kasabian - Days are forgotten
                         -Fever ray - When I grow up)
As you can see if I have a pretty broad taste of music!

Thanks for reading!

Niurez

The group of quality closed cans that isolate well and play well unamped from portable devices is a small one that (with very few--probably Sony branded--exceptions) tops out at about $150.

This list includes:

Sony MDR 75XX--including the 7506, 7509, 7510 

Sony MDR-V900HD

KRK KNS-6400

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #15,381 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks, looks like a great option.  Can anyone compare them to the M50's?  The only thing that makes me hesitant is that some of the review's of the KRK's that I've been reading seem to mention treble that can be fatiguing, which would be a problem for all-day listening.

I've also seen the Ultrasone HFI-780 recommended, but am also seeing comments on fatiguing treble.  

Seems like another good option might be the Koss DJ100, though i'm skeptical considering they are less than half the price of the M50's...

The 780 is bright, but if you like the highs of the MS1, you should not have a problem with those of the 780.

The Koss is very good, but is the anti-M50.  The Koss is mid-centric while the M50's have recessed mids.

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #15,382 of 29,490
Any comparisons between the Porta Pros are the Sporta Pros?

I've read the Sportas have more bass because of the stronger clamping force... is this true, or an effect induced by slower decay? Or both?

Are the Sportas headbands plastic or metal? 

I'd prefer the one with more prominent mids, softer bass and treble. But if the difference is almost unnoticeable by ear, I'd go for the Sportas for the price and  design. To me the Sportas are more visually relaxing than the bold Portas.

+The measurements of the two at Headroom imply (to mine eyes) that the Sportas, in fact, have a tad less bass. Boy, is it hard to make a decision! haha

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #15,383 of 29,490
Quote:
Any comparisons between the Porta Pros are the Sporta Pros?

I've read the Sportas have more bass because of the stronger clamping force... is this true, or an effect induced by slower decay? Or both?

Are the Sportas headbands plastic or metal? 

I'd prefer the one with more prominent mids, softer bass and treble. But if the difference is almost unnoticeable by ear, I'd go for the Sportas for the price and  design. To me the Sportas are more visually relaxing than the bold Portas.

+The measurements of the two at Headroom imply (to mine eyes) that the Sportas, in fact, have a tad less bass. Boy, is it hard to make a decision! haha

Maybe someone will know the answer, but your more likely to get one in the portable cans section of this forum.

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #15,384 of 29,490
Hey guys brand new here and I need some advice,

I'm going off to college this fall and I'm looking to buy a quality set of headphones. I'm basically looking for something that I can listen to in the library while working, or while im walking from class to class, hopefully there is something that can block out most external noise. I'm not a true audiophile and I'm just now really starting to appreciate music (aspiring audiophile?). Anyways, I've tried all of the usual suspects, Beats, QC15 etc. but I'm looking for something that will really WOW me.

Any thoughts? I'm looking in the $300-$350 price range. Thank you!

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #15,385 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm going off to college this fall and I'm looking to buy a quality set of headphones. I'm basically looking for something that I can listen to in the library while working, or while im walking from class to class, hopefully there is something that can block out most external noise. I'm not a true audiophile and I'm just now really starting to appreciate music (aspiring audiophile?). Anyways, I've tried all of the usual suspects, Beats, QC15 etc. but I'm looking for something that will really WOW me.

What will be driving these new cans--including any amp?  In what form/format is your music?  What kind of sound signature do you prefer?  What types of music will play through it the most?

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #15,386 of 29,490
Quote:

These are all portable headphones and with the exception of the unreleased M-100 have the best sound in your price range. None of them are noise-cancelling (Beats Studios, Bose QC series) but that's a good thing since NC degrades audio quality. Portable headphones are better for you since you'll be wandering campus and you need headphones that are easy to drive, unless you plan on getting an amp.

Sennheiser Amperior
Beyer Dynamic DT1350
or the upcoming (est. July 4th)
V-MODA M-100

Edit: The Amperior isn't out yet, either, however it is very similar to the Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii. The Amperior has the same driver, but different housing material and dampener. It's supposed to sound better than the plastic HD-25-1 ii.

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #15,387 of 29,490
So I've been bouncing back and forth about pulling the trigger on a set of Grados to check out what all the talk is about these and their signature sound. It seems like they are highly recommended for rock music. Is there a significant difference between the SR60i, SR80i and the SR125i though? They're all open, they're all going to be uncomfortable after about 2 hours but is there enough of a difference such that going from the 60 to the 80 is worth the $20. Or more importantly, is a new set of SR125i's at ~$126 worth the upgrade from the 80's?

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #15,388 of 29,490
Quote:
These are all portable headphones and with the exception of the unreleased M-100 have the best sound in your price range. None of them are noise-cancelling (Beats Studios, Bose QC series) but that's a good thing since NC degrades audio quality. Portable headphones are better for you since you'll be wandering campus and you need headphones that are easy to drive, unless you plan on getting an amp.

Sennheiser Amperior
Beyer Dynamic DT1350
or the upcoming (est. July 4th)
V-MODA M-100

Edit: The Amperior isn't out yet, either, however it is very similar to the Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii. The Amperior has the same driver, but different housing material and dampener. It's supposed to sound better than the plastic HD-25-1 ii.

Thanks for the recommendations! I personally can't see myself wearing the Amperiors or the DT1350's, but that's just my personal taste and I really want to be happy if I'm spending this type of money. The M-100's look sweet though...

Quote:

What will be driving these new cans--including any amp?  In what form/format is your music?  What kind of sound signature do you prefer?  What types of music will play through it the most?

I'll be using my iPhone/Laptop, no extra amp (I dont think?). I use spotify for all of my music so I'd like to think that its good quality. Not too sure about sound signature, I enjoy balance, which is why I enjoyed the QC15's. I listen to all different kinds of music, from Jason Mraz and Jack Johnson to Tiesto and Afrojack.

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #15,389 of 29,490
Trying to decide between ath-m50s and the Jaycar (Fischer 4s).

Primarily will be used with iPad and CPU (gaming & movies). My music preference is alt-rock...white stripes, black keys, arcade fire, etc...portability and comfort are important

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #15,390 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations! I personally can't see myself wearing the Amperiors or the DT1350's, but that's just my personal taste and I really want to be happy if I'm spending this type of money. The M-100's look sweet though...

I'll be using my iPhone/Laptop, no extra amp (I dont think?). I use spotify for all of my music so I'd like to think that its good quality. Not too sure about sound signature, I enjoy balance, which is why I enjoyed the QC15's. I listen to all different kinds of music, from Jason Mraz and Jack Johnson to Tiesto and Afrojack.

Based on the format of you music and what will power your new cads, you should be spending about half of your alotted budget (or less).

The group of quality closed cans that are relatively neutral; isolate well (without active noise cancellation); and play well unamped from portable devices is a small one that (with very few--probably Sony branded--exceptions) tops out at about $150.

This list includes:

Sony MDR 75XX--including the 7506, 7509, 7510 

Sony MDR-V900HD

KRK KNS-6400

Shure SRH 840

With an amp, your choices expand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back