++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 10, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #15,361 of 29,490
Quote:
Im guessing i will have to run a cord from my soundcard to the amp, then hookup my headphones, but i have no idea how these amps even are, but from my reading they help drive the headphones and improve sound, so im guessing i will need one.

Just one other question, how do the Ultrasone  PRO 750, PRO 900 stack up against the Ultrasone HFI 2400 ???? just curious, thanks again.

If you are using a amp/dac combo, you run a USB connection from you computer to the the amp/dac.  Beyond that you'll have to ask someone who uses the computer more than I do for their music.

The 2400 has a better sound stage than the 750.  The 750 is brighter than the 2400.

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #15,362 of 29,490
Alright, I have been looking around researching for about a week and a half now and I figured it is time to ask for some advice from people who actually have experience listening to some of the headphones I'm interested in. 

I am in the market for a pair of closed headphones that I will be able to use while walking to class, listening to music in my dorm, and for isolation when studying in public places. These headphones need to be easily powered from an iPhone 4s, however it would be nice if they improved slightly when being powered with an amp as I have a Dayton Audio DTA-100a amp powering my bookshelf speakers which can also be used to power headphones. 

As for music, I mainly listen to electro house and hip-hop, but would like a headphone that has the versatility to allow me to enjoy many other genres.

In the past week and a half, I have been looking at the ATH-M50, SRH840, DT770 Pro 80 Ohm, HD-25 ii, and HFI-580. I am having quite a bit of trouble making a decision as I am not quite sure what I want in a headphone exactly as this is my first set of audiophile-quality headphones. As you can probably tell, my budget is around $200, but I live in Canada so many of the prices on these cans are a tad higher.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated, and if I forgot to include any information just let me know.

Thanks

I would go for the ultrasones. Reason being, they really specialize in electronic music and will give you goosebumps with the amount of bass they offer. Also, you could look into the hfi 780's. They don't have as much bass, but they have a better overall more refined sound.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #15,363 of 29,490
O2Full Amp

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

and

ATH-AD900

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/b767de981f8a20dc/index.html

Are these two a good match?

DAC is iPod 6gen / Macbook Pro / Whatever.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #15,364 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, that Denon 5000 looks really nice, but its a little steep on the wallet for me right now, best price i could find is $400.  I will look at those Ultrasone HFI 2400s.
What kind of AMP would you recommend for the D5000, right now everything goes thru my X-FI Titanium HD computer sound card.

I've heard that the CL Titanium HD headphone output has a high impedance. which is a negative for low Ohm headphones, the AKG K550s are only 32-Ohm.
Might be one of the reasons the K550 did not sound as good.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #15,365 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm guessing i will have to run a cord from my sound card to the amp, then hookup my headphones, but i have no idea how these amps even are, but from my reading they help drive the headphones and improve sound, so I'm guessing I will need one.
Just one other question, how do the Ultrasone  PRO 750, PRO 900 stack up against the Ultrasone HFI 2400 ???? just curious, thanks again.

The CL Titanium HD comes with a fairly good DAC (no need for using an add-on DAC/Amp. combo) so just adding an external headphone amplifier to the RCA outputs on the Titanium HD is all you need.
The O2 (Objective 2) Headphone amplifier ($155) gets good reviews.
The Little Dot 1 + Hybrid tube amplifier ($165) also gets good reviews.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #15,366 of 29,490
Quote:
I've heard that the CL Titanium HD headphone output has a high impedance. which is a negative for low Ohm headphones, the AKG K550s are only 32-Ohm.
Might be one of the reasons the K550 did not sound as good.

Ok didnt know that.  The more i listen to the AKG 550s the more and more i like them, if they only fit a little better.  Can somebody tell me how to hook up a amp thru my X-FI Titanium HD soundcard ? i have no clue what to do ? or do i need a amp ? thanks for all your replys.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #15,367 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok didnt know that.  The more i listen to the AKG 550s the more and more i like them, if they only fit a little better.  Can somebody tell me how to hook up a amp thru my X-FI Titanium HD soundcard ? i have no clue what to do ? or do i need a amp ? thanks for all your replys.

You would need one of two cables, depending on the analog inputs of the external amplifier, as the Titanium HD uses RCA outputs you would need stereo (2) RCA jacks on one end.
If the external amplifier uses RCA inputs, you would just need matching RCA jacks on the other end of the cable.
Some external amplifiers use a mini-jack ( 3.5mm, 1/8") input, so you would need a male mini-jack connector on the ned of the cable.
In the Creative Labs control panel, you need to set it for RCA/analog output and headphone surround sound.
As I have not used Creative Labs in years, can not offer any more details then that.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #15,368 of 29,490
Ok thanks, yeah i had a little trouble getting my satilite cable box to put sound thru my X-FI, i tried coax from the cable box to the sound card and it was a no go, i had to run to cables from the satilite box to the 2 RCA/Coax in and it works great.  I had to do that because im using a 27 inch IPS monitor with crappy speakers on the monitor.

Can you recommend me a good amp that would work ? not to expsensive, thanks again everybody. 

Jun 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #15,369 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys. It's been a while! Can anyone recommend me a good open can for an E17/E9 combo? Thinking of Grado SR325i but not sure because I've never tried it. My budget is $250 new or used. I need a good all arounder, I listen to rock, kpop, house and other random stuff.

Thanks!

Err... bump!

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #15,371 of 29,490
Quote:
Sorry to repost my question here, fell free to delete it if the moderation feels apropriate, but I think that I'll have my answers more quickly here.

Hello again,

Later this month I'm going to Germany, and I'm going to pass by Munich and stay a bit in Frankfurt, would anyone know any good audio stores there?

Unfortunatly I've never been to Germany so any recomendation is more than welcome.

Also any good place to visit in Frankfurt would also be great!

thanks in advance

Sorry people, but bumping.

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #15,372 of 29,490
Quote:
Err... bump!

Good all around, open, ~$250. Sounds like the Sennheiser HD598s to me. Might also want to check out the Beyerdynamic dt880 as well, though I cannot vouch for them for I do not own them.

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #15,373 of 29,490
Quote:

Sorry people, but bumping.

Hate to be "that guy" but please read the front page, this thread is intended for seeking advice for full size headphones only. Sorry but you'll likely have better luck on another thread anyway.

Jun 11, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #15,375 of 29,490
Hey all,

I am a newbie when it comes to your knowledge about all different kinds of headphones and I am pretty underwhelmed by all the different choices.
The headphones I stumbled upon and which looked great for my needs were the AKG K550. But I do not know if they truly are what I am searching for.
So perhaps it is best if I give all my requirements.
I am looking for headphones that are in a pricerange till [size=small]$[/size]250.
Also since I will be using them quite a lot when I am on the bus or in other loud environments I require them to be closed (dont know if this is the appropriate word), I wouldnt like to hear too much noise from other people nor make a lot of noise myself.
I mostly listen to rock and blues (big fan of the rolling stones) but I also like modern pop music. I mostly use them on portable devices or on my computer.

After some more research I also found some good reviews about the DT770. But there are different versions like the pro and the M version but also difference in ohmage. What would be the most appropriate to use with the iPod? Is the DT770 better for rock and some dance music?
Should I save some money to buy a decent amplifier?
(list of last songs: -Florence and the machine (unplugged) - Only if for a night
                         -The rolling stones - The last time 
                         -The wombats - Jump into the fog
                         -Rihanna - Who's that chick
                         -Kasabian - Days are forgotten
                         -Fever ray - When I grow up)
As you can see if I have a pretty broad taste of music!

Thanks for reading!

Niurez

Users who are viewing this thread

Back