++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #15,331 of 29,490
Ok i have asked around here in a few threads, and even started my own thread and have gotten very very few answers, so i will try here.  Im a noobie to the headphone scene, with that said here is what im looking for.  I want a good all around full size headphone, open or closed dont matter to much, im not trying to block outside sound to much.

I listen Stones, Zepplin, Blondie, Plimsouls, Cars, etc, i also watch alot of blu ray movies, i have a X-FI Titanium HD soundcard builit into my computer along with a blu ray player.  Im not a bass head by anymeans, i do like bass, but i dont want it thumping my brain side to side, but i do want to hear it.  So i want a good all around headphone, i have had a few recommendations, Denon 2000, Ultrasone hfi 2400.  I have done some research on my own and have came up with the AKG K555, Denon 2000, but im open to suggestions, whatever i get must sound clean and work for music and movies.  So shoot me out some models you guys think will work for no higher than $300.

I would prefer that you have heard the cans your going to recommend me, and thanks for all your time and opinions.

Get Beyerdynamic DT770-80s for about $180, and spend the rest of the money on a decent DAC and amplifier for the headphones. Rock music tends to work well with darker headphones, as do most movies. After you get used to them, you can wear Beyerdynamic headphones forever. The D2000 is pretty similar, but you will benefit more with building your audio chain before investing the extra money.

Also: From the site of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Name... a person who owns both a D2000 and a DT770-80:  
To my surprise, the Beyers are far more open than the Denons. They also easily beat the M50 and HD280. The Beyer soundstage is deeper and wider and there’s more space between instruments--more like the open backed HD590. More of the ambience comes through. It’s another reason they initially impressed me. 

Me: Soundstage is good for movies.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #15,332 of 29,490

Hello audiophiles, I am MoonKing and I humbly request your assistance in helping me choose a pair of headphones that are right for me. To give you a taste of my style I normally rock Koss PortaPros and I love them for when I'm out and about and really dig the retro look. Buying my 4th replacement pair soon (cursed jack always disconnects on them eventually!). But today I am looking for something more upmarket.

I will mainly be using the chosen headphones with my PC and MP3 player (MP3 320kbps and FLAC) and listening to all genres of music as well as using them for movies/games.

A few years ago I popped in to a local Hi-Fi store (unfortunately closed down now) and was approached by one of the sales assistants who spent half an hour telling me how vinyl is the greatest form of sound recording known to man and that digital music is the devil and how lossless actually losses a large amount of the recorded sound through distortion. As he went on he pulled out a pair of Grado Labs I believe they were either sr60's or sr80's and let me try them with my mp3 player (I use my sony ericson w995). I was blown away that I was able to hear sound that I had never picked up in songs before with my PortaPros. His explanation was that because they were a lower end model of Grado Labs headphones they actually worked better with digital music because they don't pick up the distortion created in the rendering process.

Any who Grado Labs are definitely a contender but I was wondering what else you guys could recommend? My price range is around £100-150.

MS-1i has less Grado character than the SR-60/80... so stick to them if you want something that sounds like a Grado. In general Grados appears out of vogue on head-fi compared to a few years ago. Probably because their frequency response is stereotypical of them.

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #15,333 of 29,490
 So, presently I've been rockin' my MarkL modded D2000's and love them. Now I'm looking for something different. Something semi open/open, large soundstage, more analytical without being harsh. I will use them for movies and less bass heavy genres of music (acoustic, live, etc). So far I'm looking at the Q701 or a Beyer(DT880/990 600ohm). I'd like to keep it under $300. My setup is  very simple; laptop -> E17. I'd like the cans to have some decent bass though, nothing too bright or treble happy. One more thing, I loved modding the Denons and was considering going all out on a Fostex T50rp setup as well... Suggestions?

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #15,334 of 29,490
Quote:
 I mentioned the HD 558. The HD 598 you seem to favor is a little more expensive. Maybe it is worth the difference...

They are both good and share the same drivers.  If you want to save money, get the 558 and consider the "remove the black tape" mod.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #15,335 of 29,490
Hello there!

I have had 2 IEMs till date. The Creative EP 630 and the Sony MDR-EX57 SL.

I'm looking for headphones now, though. I saw and liked the AKG K 450. It also has good reviews spread over the web.

What are the other options I have considering I would want them to be portable, and in and around the $100 price range?

Also, without the need of an amplifier, preferably. I'll be using them with my laptop and iPod Touch.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #15,336 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello there!

I have had 2 IEMs till date. The Creative EP 630 and the Sony MDR-EX57 SL.

I'm looking for headphones now, though. I saw and liked the AKG K 450. It also has good reviews spread over the web.

What are the other options I have considering I would want them to be portable, and in and around the $100 price range?

Also, without the need of an amplifier, preferably. I'll be using them with my laptop and iPod Touch.

This is the full sized headphone section of the forum.  Do you intend to be here or maybe you should post your inquiry in this section of the forum instead:

http://www.head-fi.org/f/103/portable-headphones-earphones-and-in-ear-monitors

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #15,337 of 29,490
Quote:

Alessandro MS1 seem hard to come by in the UK. I think I will go with the Grado Lab SR80s and just order some additional comfy or flat pads. All I really want to know before I purchase is how do they compare with the 60s when plugged in to a standard portable device.

I'm from the UK and bought some MS1s a few months ago; I got them directly from their website:  http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html They're $109.99 delivered and payment is by paypal. Took about 2 weeks to arrive and I had to pay about £20 import duty & taxes (you are contacted to do this online), so in total they were around £90. This is cheaper than SR80s go for in the UK, and comparable to the cost of SR60s on Amazon right now.

I've only head SR60s before, but the sound quality of the MS1s is considerable a step above. The sound signature *is* a little different (search the forums for many, many comparisons!) but they are still very 'Grado like' in my opinion: main difference is they are less aggressive/sibilant in the top end. I think they're wonderful, although they're more suited to rock and acoustic music and a bit less good for bass-heavy stuff or (in my experience) 'clinical' electronic music.

Sound fine out of an iPod/iPhone to me. I have an E7 dac/amp, but I use it to bypass my crappy soundcard rather than to amp the headphones.

Hope this is of some use!

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #15,338 of 29,490
Quote:

This is the full sized headphone section of the forum.  Do you intend to be here or maybe you should post your inquiry in this section of the forum instead:

He's already posted there to no avail. It seems as if no experienced person is maintaining that thread. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #15,339 of 29,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I realized that after posting that. Sorry.

Quote:
He's already posted there to no avail. It seems as if no experienced person is maintaining that thread. 

Exactly. This post seems to be much more active and I just thought if someone here knew about it, it'd be helpful. No one seems to be really active enough on the Portable & IEM pages.

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #15,340 of 29,490
Sorry to repost my question here, fell free to delete it if the moderation feels apropriate, but I think that I'll have my answers more quickly here.

Hello again,

Later this month I'm going to Germany, and I'm going to pass by Munich and stay a bit in Frankfurt, would anyone know any good audio stores there?

Unfortunatly I've never been to Germany so any recomendation is more than welcome.

Also any good place to visit in Frankfurt would also be great!

thanks in advance

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #15,341 of 29,490
I'd say get the SR60i.  With you running off a phone, You would probably want a less revealing headphone.  The SR60i is a far greater deal IMO.  Don't worry about the "driver matching," Grado has that good out of the factory.  I personally like the comfies as they are more comfortable (duh) and keep the headphone from being overly bright.  Grado's benefit a LITTLE from amping, but not all that much honestly.
Quote:
Thank you for your speedy reply. Although I can stretch for 225s I have been reading the opinions of people who have used 60s, 80s and 225 and the seems to be two camps. Either 60s or 225s. From what I have read the 60s and 80s are basically the same except for the bowl pads on the 80s. The bass enthusiasts don't seem to like the 80s because the bass sounds artificial. Also I read that the 225s and 80s are too bright (if someone could explain what "bright" means that would be super). I think a lot of these complaints come down to the pads though. I could imagine the bass sounding more sharp/sparkly (is that what brightness means?) with bowls. I would presume with comfies the 80s would sound just like the 60s but is it really worth paying an extra £10 for better driver matching? Will I notice any difference?
As for the 225s (as sexy as they sound) I feel that I would also have to fork out for a semi-decent amp to truly get my moneys worth out of them (an expense I can not afford at this time). Although that does make me wonder if the 80s would be better than the 60s with an amp? AGGHHHHH! Indecisiveness is attacking me from all angles. Okay, JBAndradeIV said in this post ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/580326/grado-sr-60-vs-sr-80#post_7892574 ) that "with even a cheap amp the 80 outshines the 60" so that settles that.

I guess my only concern now is will the 80s be on par with the 60s when connected to a portable device? This is another thing that works against the 225s for me since I can see it needing more than the amp in my sony ericsson can handle. Also if anyone has tried both the 80s & 60s with comfies I would like to hear a comparison so I know if my previous presumption is correct.

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #15,343 of 29,490
Quote:
I often listen to punk rock and acoustic songs. I'll listen to Three Days Grace, Green Day, Third Eye Blind, Relient K, Maroon 5, and Rise Against. I use them in school, so alright isolation, portable, on/over ear, closed back. I have a 130-170$ price range. I'm currently using Audio Technica ATH Es7's. I'm looking for an upgrade. I don't really want really bass heavy headphones, more clarity, but I do want some bass. Could someone suggest me some headphones? Thanks.

Could someone answer this one last time? I'm looking for something in the price range of 130-170$ used. Also, I should mention I have a FiiO E6 amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back