++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #15,258 of 29,490
Sorry, should have posted here. I am currently using Beats Solo (I know, I know). I have 200 to spend at Best Buy and am thinking Skullcandy Aviators or Klipsch Image one. I want to get a good portable amp, and next year after my wedding am gonna save for a real pair, probably Denon 5000. Any suggestions would be awesome. I listen mostly to dubstep/electric and some rock/rap. Preferably the phones won't leak a lot of audio... any help is appreciated,thanks!

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #15,259 of 29,490
Quote:
Sorry, should have posted here. I am currently using Beats Solo (I know, I know). I have 200 to spend at Best Buy and am thinking Skullcandy Aviators or Klipsch Image one. I want to get a good portable amp, and next year after my wedding am gonna save for a real pair, probably Denon 5000. Any suggestions would be awesome. I listen mostly to dubstep/electric and some rock/rap. Preferably the phones won't leak a lot of audio... any help is appreciated,thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, BestBuy carries the Sony XB700. This headphone should cover the genres that you listen to and is well within your price range. Tyll gave the Aviators a pretty good review. Here it is: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/skullcandy-roc-nation-aviator  You should also read around on the previously mentioned XB700. Strictly buying from BestBuy really limits your selection...

Also, I know anything about the Klipsch Image Ones. I'm also not so sure that any headphone that you get from BestBuy will benefit from an amp. Someone else will have to confirm that for you though.

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #15,260 of 29,490
I've noticed Best Buy having a big step up in the quality and number of headphones they stock, especially if there's one with a Magnolia home theater. The one near me has several nice models on display, The AT ESW9A ad A900x, AKG K550, Sennheiser HD558 and PX360 just to name a few. The normal best buys are stocking things like the more entry level Sennheisers, an AIAIAI TMA-1s. And that's just what they have on display. Not to sound like a Best Buy poster boy or anything, but I'm impressed with the changes they've made to the brands and selection they carry. So NoUse, if there's a Magnolia store near you stop in and give them a listen. Though I will say I couldn't get any information out of the sales rep about what kind of amp system they have in place when I was in there. It was a planogrammed demo station.

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #15,262 of 29,490
Quote:

Senn HD 598.

Thanks for the recommendation! One question though... do those come in any color scheme other than "burl wood accents"?  I checked both newegg and amazon for a quick reference and both only have that one color.

I'm usually not picky about the color of items that will only be used around the house (hell I'm usually not all that picky about stuff I wear out in public either) but for whatever reason the black & beige scheme just really doesn't appeal to me at all. I absolutely love some wood accents but that one just doesn't do it for me 
frown.gif

I'd also love any other recommendations if there's anything else I should try out if the chance arises. I may try and find a local audio shop and sample as many headphones as possible before committing to a purchase.

Edit - and I saw recommendations around here that the 558 could be 'modded' (e.g. remove foam) to nearly, if not exactly, replicate the 598s. Is this true? I have no problem with modding and would be more than willing to do the required work since those are readily available in a more aesthetically appealing black/silver color scheme

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #15,263 of 29,490
If I'm not mistaken, BestBuy carries the Sony XB700. This headphone should cover the genres that you listen to and is well within your price range. Tyll gave the Aviators a pretty good review. Here it is: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/skullcandy-roc-nation-aviator  You should also read around on the previously mentioned XB700. Strictly buying from BestBuy really limits your selection...

Also, I know anything about the Klipsch Image Ones. I'm also not so sure that any headphone that you get from BestBuy will benefit from an amp. Someone else will have to confirm that for you though.

You could also give the Philips Downtown a whirl. They have them on demo at the store near me.

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #15,264 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation! One question though... do those come in any color scheme other than "burl wood accents"?  I checked both newegg and amazon for a quick reference and both only have that one color.

I'm usually not picky about the color of items that will only be used around the house (hell I'm usually not all that picky about stuff I wear out in public either) but for whatever reason the black & beige scheme just really doesn't appeal to me at all. I absolutely love some wood accents but that one just doesn't do it for me 
frown.gif

I'd also love any other recommendations if there's anything else I should try out if the chance arises. I may try and find a local audio shop and sample as many headphones as possible before committing to a purchase.

Edit - and I saw recommendations around here that the 558 could be 'modded' (e.g. remove foam) to nearly, if not exactly, replicate the 598s. Is this true? I have no problem with modding and would be more than willing to do the required work since those are readily available in a more aesthetically appealing black/silver color scheme

I'm not really sure on what the color problem is, tbh. I think they look classy. Also, you won't be looking at them all day. They'll be on your head. So, what's to see?
tongue.gif

Though, I did do the sticker mod on my HD555's. It really opens up the soundstage, and the sound starts to have a bit more presence. I have no clue what the experience with 558's are though. I also have no experience with the 595.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #15,265 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm not really sure on what the color problem is, tbh. I think they look classy. Also, you won't be looking at them all day. They'll be on your head. So, what's to see?
tongue.gif

Though, I did do the sticker mod on my HD555's. It really opens up the soundstage, and the sound starts to have a bit more presence. I have no clue what the experience with 558's are though. I also have no experience with the 595.

99.9% of the time I don't care what something looks like even out in public but sometimes the aesthetics of a certain item just bug me... the 598s happen to be one of those things. 
rolleyes.gif

And while I'll be wearing them during use I'll still have to look at them when they are not in use. My entire room/computer/theater system is black/silver/grey. The beige headset just REALLY doesn't fit in.

Still... if I had to choose based on aesthetics or sound quality, SQ would take the win hands down. I don't mind modding and can paint/dye the plastic/leather of the headset. Just not something I necessarily want to deal with doing.

If there are no other recommendations for something with my criteria (similar to the AD900 w/ slightly better bass) I might just have to paint/dye them to my liking. I do hope to get out to a store and try some samples before I start throwing my money around, but we'll see.

Part of me says I should buy an AD700 and see just how "poor" it is wrt bass. Worst comes to worst I have a decent set of phones for audio that doesn't call for low bass. The rest of me says to just buy one set based on this forums recommendatiosn and be done, otherwise I'll have another money-pit hobby 
tongue.gif
 My Jeep, car, and computer already consume enough money, don't need another!

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #15,266 of 29,490
Quote:
99.9% of the time I don't care what something looks like even out in public but sometimes the aesthetics of a certain item just bug me... the 598s happen to be one of those things. 
rolleyes.gif

And while I'll be wearing them during use I'll still have to look at them when they are not in use. My entire room/computer/theater system is black/silver/grey. The beige headset just REALLY doesn't fit in.

Still... if I had to choose based on aesthetics or sound quality, SQ would take the win hands down. I don't mind modding and can paint/dye the plastic/leather of the headset. Just not something I necessarily want to deal with doing.

If there are no other recommendations for something with my criteria (similar to the AD900 w/ slightly better bass) I might just have to paint/dye them to my liking. I do hope to get out to a store and try some samples before I start throwing my money around, but we'll see.

Part of me says I should buy an AD700 and see just how "poor" it is wrt bass. Worst comes to worst I have a decent set of phones for audio that doesn't call for low bass. The rest of me says to just buy one set based on this forums recommendatiosn and be done, otherwise I'll have another money-pit hobby 
tongue.gif
 My Jeep, car, and computer already consume enough money, don't need another!

Fischer Audio FA-011.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #15,267 of 29,490
Quote:
Fischer Audio FA-011.

Where the hell do you buy them (in the US)?!?

I read a review on them, thought they sounded (and looked!) pretty damn good based on the review, but then searched google for a retailer and found myself SOL based on a quick search.

Granted when I searched I was in the office so I had limited time on my breaks... but could you recommend an online (or chain) retailer who carries them?

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #15,268 of 29,490
Quote:

frown.gif

The 598 comes in only one color.  The 598 and 558 have the same drivers.  I have not tried the mod, so can't give you any first hand knowledge on that.

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #15,269 of 29,490
Quote:

frown.gif

I removed the black rubber tape from my HD558s and I like the sound.
Would be nice to compare them to the HD598, see how much of a difference there is.

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #15,270 of 29,490
Quote:
Where the hell do you buy them (in the US)?!?
I read a review on them, thought they sounded (and looked!) pretty damn good based on the review, but then searched google for a retailer and found myself SOL based on a quick search.
Granted when I searched I was in the office so I had limited time on my breaks... but could you recommend an online (or chain) retailer who carries them?

Watch Head-Fi's "Headphone for Sale" thread.
GD Audiobass, Russia (two months shipping time).
Frogbeats, UK (currently out of stock).

Fischer Audio has a list of sellers on their website,
Currently no retailers in North America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back