++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #15,242 of 29,490
Quote:
 Out of what will you be playing the cans?  What is your budget?  Is open (leaking) OK or do you need closed?

I'll probably be playing them out of my Denon AV reciever hooked up to a cd player, as well as my iPod. My budget is under $300. As for open or closed, closed isn't a neccesity but is preferable.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #15,244 of 29,490
Alright, I have been looking around researching for about a week and a half now and I figured it is time to ask for some advice from people who actually have experience listening to some of the headphones I'm interested in. 

I am in the market for a pair of closed headphones that I will be able to use while walking to class, listening to music in my dorm, and for isolation when studying in public places. These headphones need to be easily powered from an iPhone 4s, however it would be nice if they improved slightly when being powered with an amp as I have a Dayton Audio DTA-100a amp powering my bookshelf speakers which can also be used to power headphones. 

As for music, I mainly listen to electro house and hip-hop, but would like a headphone that has the versatility to allow me to enjoy many other genres.

In the past week and a half, I have been looking at the ATH-M50, SRH840, DT770 Pro 80 Ohm, HD-25 ii, and HFI-580. I am having quite a bit of trouble making a decision as I am not quite sure what I want in a headphone exactly as this is my first set of audiophile-quality headphones. As you can probably tell, my budget is around $200, but I live in Canada so many of the prices on these cans are a tad higher.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated, and if I forgot to include any information just let me know.

Thanks

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #15,245 of 29,490
I wanted to say thank you very much to everyone on helping narrow down what headphones I should check out a few days ago. I went to Guitar Center Tuesday afternoon and blindly bought the KRK 8400 without trying on or testing. I absolutely LOVE the sound these produce for alternative rock and I've only used them for about 8 hours or so (all of yesterday's workday).

The ear pads are super comfortable, I hardly notice they are there and my ears don't get sweaty at all. The headband pads did turn out to be an issue in the beginning (which I had feared). I did experience a good amount of discomfort from the two pressure points when wearing them in the beginning. I'd say that about every 25 min or so I would have to position them again to get the pain to go away. I have a crew cut type haircut and a bone ridgeline lengthwise on the top of my head where the pads somewhat rest between for the record.

I started wearing them Wednesday at 8:30 and I'd say that by 3:30 or so, the pain was beginning to lessen and I could wear them in the same location for longer periods of time. As I'm writing this, I have had them on since 8:30 in the same location and there is a very very faint amount of pressure I can detect, but not bothersome yet. If it still becomes an issue, I may do a DIY route and replace the material with some sort of polyfill.

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #15,246 of 29,490
Quote:

I'd say go the ortho way i.e. Hifiman HE-400's. Based on what I've read, short of sheer bass quantity, some acoustic instruments and possibly treble detail they do everything better than the D5000's. I own the D5000's and will probably buy HE-400's next.

yeah that's my fear too as I heard the improvement of D5k isn't big enough to justify the price hike. How much better Hifiman HE-400 is compared to D5k, if you have heard it?

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #15,247 of 29,490
This thread should get stickied...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXD200-MDR-XD200-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B0007N55NW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339092002&sr=8-2

I am considering buying these headphones. I will not buy a pair of headphones that are more than $45. The first review shown in the link above gives a very detailed review. The guy sounds like a pro, and he has me leaning on purchasing these. 

I am not an audiophile, so I cannot give great detail as to what exactly I like to hear in my headphones. I was in BestBuy today hoping to purchase some, but the only ones I could purchase in my range were not "sample-able." 

The HF I liked in BestBuy:

-- Phillips SHL5905BK/28  --  isolated the sound very well, seemed to deliver flat yet clear and crisp sound

-- SOUL by Ludacris SL150BW High-Definition On-Ear Headphones -- seemed bright with crisp highs, which I did find appealing, but is not a requirement

I love the whole noise cancelling idea, so I would like my headphones to block (seal) most of the outside noise. I do not want it to have that breathable mesh crap for the pad around the ears. Bright or flat is much better than bass heavy. I am not looking for super bass headphones. I want either all flat or bright with average everything else (if that makes sense).

I want some insight on the MDR-XD200s and would definitely take suggestions on other HF to look at. Remember, NO MORE than $45.

Thanks in advance for all who respond and help me out! I am new to the HF buying world.

--edit--

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #15,248 of 29,490
Based on Fringe's response to another post, I want to let everyone know that I listen to a VERY LARGE VARIETY of genres. Probably 45% rock/alternative, 30% pop, 10% orchestra and piano only, 10% dubstep,  5% OLD classic country (Johnny Horton, lol).

I listen to everything. These will probably never be used for dubstep though, as I typically only listen to it when I workout. Bassnectar gets me crunk I guess...

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #15,249 of 29,490
After reviewing some threads, I was pretty confident on buying on buying the audio technica m50s, however many people consider it to be overrated. I saw some comparisons with the beats pro and some say the beats pro sounds better and beats headphones are known to be very bad. Is the m50 really overrated and not that good? If so could anyone suggest an alternative? I want a paiof headphones that is comfortable, has good sound quality, good isolation (people cant hear what Im hearing), durability (Im going to be taking it to lots of places in my backpack), and a headphone that doesn't REQUIRE an amp, maybe one that would sound better with an amp but not one that absolutely requires one.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #15,251 of 29,490
Quote:
After reviewing some threads, I was pretty confident on buying on buying the audio technica m50s, however many people consider it to be overrated. I saw some comparisons with the beats pro and some say the beats pro sounds better and beats headphones are known to be very bad. Is the m50 really overrated and not that good? If so could anyone suggest an alternative? I want a paiof headphones that is comfortable, has good sound quality, good isolation (people cant hear what Im hearing), durability (Im going to be taking it to lots of places in my backpack), and a headphone that doesn't REQUIRE an amp, maybe one that would sound better with an amp but not one that absolutely requires one.

The price of the M50 has moved from about $100 to $30 to $50 more.  If you are not a full on basshead but like the "V" shaped EQ that the M50 offers, it can be a reasonable choice.  However if you want a more neutral can, the Shure SRH 840 has moved down in price from over $200 to at or sometimes below what the M50 now costs.  Both will work on most portable devices without an amp. 

Throw in the the Ultrasone HFI-780 and the V-Moda's and there are not many more quality closed cans in the $140 to $200 and up range that wiil play unamped at or near their capacity.

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #15,253 of 29,490
I'm the market for a set of open can headphones to upgrade my Sennheiser HD280-Pros. These phones will be powered with a Xonar DG sound card, so (theoretically) I am limited to anything with an impedance of ~150ohm or lower, at least without an outside amp.

I've done quite a bit of reading around this forum and, for the most part, everything I have seen regarding the the ATH-AD700 or ATH-AD900 headphones sounds great. The only concern I've encountered is that most reviews mention a lack of bass. Granted I don't want something bass heavy... I just get the impression that the AD700/AD900 are [very] bass light.

Edit: I also looked at reviews of the Sennheiser PC360 gaming headset so I'm not opposed to a headset with a built in mic (it would actually be nice to have) however I don't want to sacrifice sound quality for the addition of a mic, I can always use one of those separate as I have been for years with the 280s.

That said, my criteria/uses:
Price range: Ideally $200 or less. Could stretch that up to ~$300 if there's a much better option in that price range.
Impedance: <150ohm (will be powered by Xonar DG sound card as noted above)
Uses: Primarily music and gaming.
  1. Music: Classic/Alt rock, country, [some] metal, techno, trance, some classical.
  2. Gaming: Some FPS (namely valve titles, diablo III, DayZ) with occasional racing titles and other genres thrown in now and then
Desired style: Over the ear, open can
Other: Ideally looking for something fairly comfortable even with extended use (Note for reference: I never found my 280s to be particularly uncomfortable).

Thanks for any advice!

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #15,254 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm the market for a set of open can headphones to upgrade my Sennheiser HD280-Pros. These phones will be powered with a Xonar DG sound card, so (theoretically) I am limited to anything with an impedance of ~150ohm or lower, at least without an outside amp.

I've done quite a bit of reading around this forum and, for the most part, everything I have seen regarding the the ATH-AD700 or ATH-AD900 headphones sounds great. The only concern I've encountered is that most reviews mention a lack of bass. Granted I don't want something bass heavy... I just get the impression that the AD700/AD900 are [very] bass light.

Edit: I also looked at reviews of the Sennheiser PC360 gaming headset so I'm not opposed to a headset with a built in mic (it would actually be nice to have) however I don't want to sacrifice sound quality for the addition of a mic, I can always use one of those separate as I have been for years with the 280s.

That said, my criteria/uses:
Price range: Ideally $200 or less. Could stretch that up to ~$300 if there's a much better option in that price range.
Impedance: <150ohm (will be powered by Xonar DG sound card as noted above)
Uses: Primarily music and gaming.
  1. Music: Classic/Alt rock, country, [some] metal, techno, trance, some classical.
  2. Gaming: Some FPS (namely valve titles, diablo III, DayZ) with occasional racing titles and other genres thrown in now and then
Desired style: Over the ear, open can
Other: Ideally looking for something fairly comfortable even with extended use (Note for reference: I never found my 280s to be particularly uncomfortable).

Thanks for any advice!

Senn HD 598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back