++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 5, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #15,226 of 29,490
I have searched tirelessly and found nobody who can directly compare the koss ur40 and ur55. My next question: how does the ath-ad700 compare to grado sr60? Specifically, I want the one with the best instrument separation.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #15,227 of 29,490
Quote:
Would you guys recommend the Vmoda M80s more or the Audiotechinca ath-m50 more? Price is not an issue, and I'm looking for the better sounding of the two. I also would prefer a more portable headphone, so Which one is more portable? Sound does come first though. Alos, I am confused about the difference between open and closed cans. Can somebody enlighten me about the difference?

That's a tough call, as their sound signatures are pretty distinctly different. You can't really go wrong with either one though, as I think that each can be EQ'd adequately as necessary if you want to balance things to your liking. However, with no EQ, the M80 has a fuller upper bass and midrange, while the M50 has a more recessed midrange, but more sparkly highs and deeper lows. Personally, I slightly prefer the M50 for most music, but that is just me. 

The M50s fold up and go into a bag. Stock, they have an un-detachable cord, but apparently you can get them detachable. The M80 doesn't fold up; it just collapses into itself, and you have to detach the cable to fit it into the case. Though the M50 feels pretty rugged (definitely better than average), the M80 really shines there, and once it is in its case, it really gives you confidence that it can be thrown around with impunity. The cord for the M80 works really well for portable use, as there isn't any excess cable to deal with. Though personally I prefer the sound of the M50, if my primary use was portability, I would lean strongly toward the M80.

Isolation: Hard to say which has more overall isolation, because they each block out/let in different frequencies. The M50 lets in more conversation frequencies, like people talking around you, but the M80 seems to let in slightly more low frequencies, like the rumble of a bus. The ports on the M80 let in wind noise. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #15,228 of 29,490
Quote:
Coming from ATH-M50 to my current Denon D2000, I'm really pleased by the sound quality of D2000. But now I'm intrigued to explore more in the hi-fi world. I feel D2000 already has provided such good quality, where can I go from there? I know there are more expensive cans out there, but I just want to know which ones can be an obvious improvement in the sound quality department? 

I'd say go the ortho way i.e. Hifiman HE-400's. Based on what I've read, short of sheer bass quantity, some acoustic instruments and possibly treble detail they do everything better than the D5000's. I own the D5000's and will probably buy HE-400's next.

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #15,229 of 29,490
Quote:
My turn to ask :)

budget; $100 or less

music source:  ipod gen 5.5, many mp3's not best quality 128-320kps

Occasional home recording mixing on Sonar, mostly country

music likes: mostly classic country, some smooth jazz (dianna krall, larry carlton)  Occasional disco/funk for fun.  NO Trance/electronic, etc (I'm 63:)

I'm not a bass head, prefer clean punch. I'm very sensitive to harsh highs.

size:  I have big ears, sorry born that way :frowning2:  3 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches)  Don't make fun of me, had plenty of that as a kid !!

I originally was thinking ATHM40FS

Now looking at Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506?

Again, prefer accuracy but leaning toward the warm punchy side without the boom.

Thanks guys!

bob

Anyone?  Need to decide for  Father's Day!

bob

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #15,230 of 29,490
Hello everyone, i posted here a few months ago and i got alot of recommendations for the Samson SR850 which i didn't end up buying because my budget was halved.

I ended up caving in and buying the panasonic HTF-600-S which are good in their own way, i like the wide soundstage and the punchy bass but the bass manages to eat the mids at times.

Budget:Not sure yet, probably $50-$80
Isolation: Don't really care since i'll be using it for PC.
Use: 40% gaming, 40% music, 20% movies.
Music: It really varies, but Soundtracks from video games and movies, Orchestral, Prog rock, Grunge, Liquid DnB and Rap beats/Rap.
Ebay?: If it's from a reliable seller, yes.
Previous experiences: Various cheap headsets, HA-RX900, Panasonic HTF-600-S

Thanks in advance!

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #15,231 of 29,490
Quote:
My turn to ask :)

budget; $100 or less

music source:  ipod gen 5.5, many mp3's not best quality 128-320kps

Occasional home recording mixing on Sonar, mostly country

music likes: mostly classic country, some smooth jazz (dianna krall, larry carlton)  Occasional disco/funk for fun.  NO Trance/electronic, etc (I'm 63:)

I'm not a bass head, prefer clean punch. I'm very sensitive to harsh highs.

size:  I have big ears, sorry born that way :frowning2:  3 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches)  Don't make fun of me, had plenty of that as a kid !!

I originally was thinking ATHM40FS

Now looking at Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506?

Again, prefer accuracy but leaning toward the warm punchy side without the boom.

Thanks guys!

bob

I have recorded and mixed with the 7506, so I think they are worth considering. I also regularly use the M40fs to mix live PA, but I prefer the 7506. I would also personally consider the Senn HD280. However, with your ears, you may be limited to what you can try successfully in person.

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #15,232 of 29,490
Hi, I'm also looking for some new portable cans and want to join this discussion. Here are some details:

Music genres: 80% Metal, 20% Hard-Rock
Portable: just for portable use, yes
Price range: max 300€ 
Earpads: velours or similar, no leather or pleather
Amped: no amp should be required
Closed/Open: closed with at least medium isolation
Headphone preference: intimate (smaller soundstage), !PRAT!, strong bass, non sibilance-highs - for example i like the sonic signature of the akg k518!

Keep 'em coming :)

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #15,233 of 29,490
Quote:
I have recorded and mixed with the 7506, so I think they are worth considering. I also regularly use the M40fs to mix live PA, but I prefer the 7506. I would also personally consider the Senn HD280. However, with your ears, you may be limited to what you can try successfully in person.

Thanks,

How about the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S?

Have you heard the Sony V6's?  Are they the same as the 7506?

thx

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #15,234 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks,

thx

I've done some mixing on headphones and owned the panasonic. They would be a poor choice because of the bloated bass and odd mids/highs. They are fun but not suited for mixing. I have used sony's in the past and liked them. I currently have the cad mh310 and have had decent results. I wouldn't rely on them alone but you can get close. For that matter I wouldn't trust any single headphone for mixing. The more the merrier. I have read that there are slight differences between v6 and 7506 but both are good. Watch for fakes.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #15,235 of 29,490
Quote:
Thanks,

thx

It has been a long time since I heard the V6, but at least by reputation they should be seriously considered. I haven't heard the Panasonics.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #15,237 of 29,490
Hi, Im looking for some advice on new headphones. I want a closed back design with good isolation and low leakage, must be at least decently comfortable, somewhat portable, able to use unamped or with a little Fiio. I listen to most electronic genres, metal, rap, some rock.
Not a big fan of treble. My budget is less than/around $300. I was thinking Ultrasone Pro 750 but wondering if there is something better.

Thanks in advance

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #15,238 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, Im looking for some advice on new headphones. I want a closed back design with good isolation and low leakage, must be at least decently comfortable, somewhat portable, able to use unamped or with a little Fiio. I listen to most electronic genres, metal, rap, some rock.
Not a big fan of treble. My budget is less than/around $300. I was thinking Ultrasone Pro 750 but wondering if there is something better.

Thanks in advance

If you're not a treble fan, then the 750 is not for you.  What sound signature (beyond recessed highs--which knocks out all the "V" shaped EQ cans) do you want?

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #15,239 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello everyone, i posted here a few months ago and i got alot of recommendations for the Samson SR850 which i didn't end up buying because my budget was halved.

I ended up caving in and buying the panasonic HTF-600-S which are good in their own way, i like the wide soundstage and the punchy bass but the bass manages to eat the mids at times.

Budget:Not sure yet, probably $50-$80
Isolation: Don't really care since i'll be using it for PC.
Use: 40% gaming, 40% music, 20% movies.
Music: It really varies, but Soundtracks from video games and movies, Orchestral, Prog rock, Grunge, Liquid DnB and Rap beats/Rap.
Ebay?: If it's from a reliable seller, yes.
Previous experiences: Various cheap headsets, HA-RX900, Panasonic HTF-600-S

Thanks in advance!

You should expect to get the same recommendations as before.  In addition to the 850, consider the AKG K240 Studio, KRK KNS-6400, Superlux HD668B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back