++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 1, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #15,121 of 29,490
Thanks for the advice Currawong. Never really heard of Vmoda. How do they compare to the highly praised Audio Technica M50's (and other Senn's or AKG....)? The Vmoda are more expensive than the Audio Technica, so if I am going to fore go the noise cancelling part i may have to re-think which headphones i am getting.

I guess my requirements would be what at the best over-ear noise isolating head phones for $150 to $200.

There are just so many headphones out there and so many choices, it can be very overwhelming!

Thanks again for your help.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #15,124 of 29,490
Hey smeghead68 I just faced a Simlar decision and after a lot of research settled on a pair of audiotechnica ATH M-50s and have not been dissapointed they sound amazing and sound leakage is not bad and for he price they are great , however they are pretty large and look bulky but feel great on very light and lots of suppor in all the right places.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #15,125 of 29,490
Hi, I recently bought Shure SRH 440 and looking to upgrade my sound source. My current setup is my 440 to my HP Elitebook with IDT Sound card mostly being used in the office.

My two options are
1) Buy a separate DAC
- SRH 440 > Fiio E10 DAC > HP Elitebook

2) Buy portable DAP and Amp
- SRH 440 > Fiio amp > iPod Nano/Touch

My Question is how does the iPod DAC compare to the Fiio E10s?

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #15,126 of 29,490
Use(s): I would say I have about a 50/50 split listening to music and gaming. For music, I listen to a variety of genres: alt (40%), rock (30%), electronic/techno (15%). Remaining 15% is hip-hop, pop, jazz, classical...pretty much everything else.

Portable: No, only at the computer.

Price range: Around $250, but will not go a cent over $300.

Amped: Maybe--looking for whatever combination will give me the best sound within my budget.

Closed/Open: Open

Headphone preference: Comfort is important, and probably equally as important as overall sound quality. I really would like something that is pretty versatile and can handle a wide variety of material. I'm going to be poor for a long time after this too (starting grad school in the fall), so I hope to get something that will last >4 years.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #15,127 of 29,490
HDJ-2000 or ES10 for trance? Well, 90% trance/EDM and 10% rock/altrock. I realize the ES10 will have more sub-bass, but I assume that the HDJs are tuned for EDM. I had a pair and can't recall the signature that well. If they were priced the same I would go with the ES10, and the durability on the 2000s is a plus.

TIA

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #15,128 of 29,490
Quote:
Use(s): I would say I have about a 50/50 split listening to music and gaming. For music, I listen to a variety of genres: alt (40%), rock (30%), electronic/techno (15%). Remaining 15% is hip-hop, pop, jazz, classical...pretty much everything else.

Portable: No, only at the computer.

Price range: Around $250, but will not go a cent over $300.

Amped: Maybe--looking for whatever combination will give me the best sound within my budget.

Closed/Open: Open

Headphone preference: Comfort is important, and probably equally as important as overall sound quality. I really would like something that is pretty versatile and can handle a wide variety of material. I'm going to be poor for a long time after this too (starting grad school in the fall), so I hope to get something that will last >4 years.

HD598! I really don't think you could do better in that price range. Very comfy, good for games, great for music, open, versatile. You would have money for a cheap amp, too. 

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #15,129 of 29,490
I initially started out looking for noise cancelling headphones to use on the city transit.However those don't seem to be held in high regard here as sound quality seems to suffer with the noise cancellation on. So I am thinking of getting IEM's instead.

Can anyone recommend some good noise isolating IEM's for around $100. Some of the features like comfort and noise isolation would take precedence over sound quality for me as the bus/transit can be loud and the IEM's need to be comfortable. I assume that for this price range a universal fit would have to do as i expect that custom fit would be much more expensive. 

I like listening to old school new wave / dance / techno (think Depeche Mode, New Order) music mostly and may watch the occasionally downloaded TV show that i missed the night before.

So basically which IEM's for $100 have good noise isolation and comfortable fit?

Thanks for any and all help!

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #15,130 of 29,490
Quote:
I initially started out looking for noise cancelling headphones to use on the city transit.However those don't seem to be held in high regard here as sound quality seems to suffer with the noise cancellation on. So I am thinking of getting IEM's instead.

Can anyone recommend some good noise isolating IEM's for around $100. Some of the features like comfort and noise isolation would take precedence over sound quality for me as the bus/transit can be loud and the IEM's need to be comfortable. I assume that for this price range a universal fit would have to do as i expect that custom fit would be much more expensive. 

I like listening to old school new wave / dance / techno (think Depeche Mode, New Order) music mostly and may watch the occasionally downloaded TV show that i missed the night before.

So basically which IEM's for $100 have good noise isolation and comfortable fit?

Thanks for any and all help!

This is the full-sized section of the forums. Here is a place that can do a bit better than what we can do here, when it comes to IEM/portables: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #15,132 of 29,490
i'm shopping for over-ear headphones in the $100-$150 range, can go higher but i don't want to spend more than $200
i want to build a millet hybrid MAX amp for them as well, so i want some that will really benefit from it
the headphone ranking list is confusing to me, i feel like price/performance ratio caused some headphones to be higher than they should be...
i picked out Sennheiser HD 580 and Audio Technica ATH-AD700, any other suggestions?

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #15,133 of 29,490
Quote:
i'm shopping for over-ear headphones in the $100-$150 range, can go higher but i don't want to spend more than $200
i want to build a millet hybrid MAX amp for them as well, so i want some that will really benefit from it
the headphone ranking list is confusing to me, i feel like price/performance ratio caused some headphones to be higher than they should be...
i picked out Sennheiser HD 580 and Audio Technica ATH-AD700, any other suggestions?
thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

What do kind of music fo you listen to? Does it matter if it's open backed or closed back? This will just help us narrow down your choices.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #15,135 of 29,490
Quote:
thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Go with the used/discontinued HD 580.  Nothing new in your price range will touch it for what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back