++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #14,641 of 29,490
@ Rerona both the m50 and srh840 are comfortable in my opinion. The m80 is an ear headphone so it really depends. The beyer dynamic is an excellent headphone. However you'll need a pretty good amp to power like the fiio e11 and by the time you buy that we are out of your price range.

May 9, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #14,643 of 29,490
Hi, I have been looking around for headphones for a while. I was getting close to going for the M50s but I heard they have less than satisfactory bass. Any suggestions on headphones similar to them with little more bass?

May 10, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #14,645 of 29,490
So after listening to your advice I have done more research into the Shure SRH840 but have also ran into another thread on this forums that say the BRAINWAVZ HM5 is technically a upgrade over the SRH840s.  And at the prices listed on Amazon BRAINWAVZ HM5 $140 or the Shure SRH840 for $158, should I go with the HM5 instead?

May 10, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #14,646 of 29,490
Quote:
@KG Jag - Thanks!  

@FlobHobNob - ... And lastly how does the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 compare to these? 

I have the 250 Ohm version.  They are an excellent closed can--not as neutral as the 880 Pro/more neutral than the DT 990 Pro.  Great sound for many kinds of music; soundstage is not  particularly large--although not bad for a close can in this class. 

May 10, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #14,647 of 29,490
Quote:
So after listening to your advice I have done more research into the Shure SRH840 but have also ran into another thread on this forums that say the BRAINWAVZ HM5 is technically a upgrade over the SRH840s.  And at the prices listed on Amazon BRAINWAVZ HM5 $140 or the Shure SRH840 for $158, should I go with the HM5 instead?

Both are fairly neutral.  Both are decent, but I find the HM5 to be a bit lifeless compared to the 840.  I find the build quality better on the 840, but the HM5 comes with a case a some extras (both have replacement ear pads.

May 10, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #14,648 of 29,490
Hi guys, so my PRO900s just died... (see other thread)

Got some KSC75s for now, but looking to get some main cans soon as I won't be able to use any speakers in my new living space.

Using - foobar2000 to an Audio-gd Compass (using built in amp). Listen mainly to electronic music (psy-trance, techno etc)

Need -

£120 max
Comfortable!
NEUTRAL response. I love to EQ, so a relatively neutral base would be a good start.
Low-end extension.
Durable.
Modd-able. I love to tweak things.

No Grados, no ultrasones, no M50s, no AKGs, no Beyers.

Thanks...

May 10, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #14,650 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi guys, so my PRO900s just died... (see other thread)

Got some KSC75s for now, but looking to get some main cans soon as I won't be able to use any speakers in my new living space.

Using - foobar2000 to an Audio-gd Compass (using built in amp). Listen mainly to electronic music (psy-trance, techno etc)

Need -

£120 max
Comfortable!
NEUTRAL response. I love to EQ, so a relatively neutral base would be a good start.
Low-end extension.
Durable.
Modd-able. I love to tweak things.

No Grados, no ultrasones, no M50s, no AKGs, no Beyers.

Thanks...

Beats lol jks umm srh 440? or 840s if you stretch abit...... 

May 10, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #14,651 of 29,490
Hey all,

My sister wants me to recommend a pair of headphones for her. Help me out!

Somethings you might want to know:

Purpose and set up
--------------------
    * They are for blocking out surrounding noise during work
    * Source: laptop or MP3 player

Sound preference
--------------------
    * For safety lets assume neutral

Genres
--------------------
    * Lets go with Indy rock? Otherwise pretty diverse.

Budget
--------------------
    * Around $100-200

Current favourite
--------------------
    * Sennheiser HD448

I was thinking circum-aural for comfort and reasonable isolation. Closed so that she doesn't annoy her colleagues. The Senn's are also apparently okay with non-amplified sources.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

May 10, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #14,652 of 29,490
hello sir will you help me to decide between e6 and fiio e11. im using sennheiser hd-419 and a nokia n8 12 megapixel smartphone.. im having a hard time deciding and reading reviews and choosing between the two amplifiers. im looking for a more balanced sound and yet powerful amplifier to drive my sennheiser hd-419.. im not looking for skullcrushing bass as the 419′s bass is good enough and needed just a little more..so im wondering which of these two amplifiers will you reccomend that have a more balanced sound and gives more power, clarity or soundstage to sennheiser 419..is the equalizer of these 2 amplifier just gives bass boost or it gives treble as well….which one will you reccomend the e6 or the e11? and lastly im confused..a smartphone has an equalizer and a portable amp has an equalizer, when playing the headphones which equalizer that the headphones uses , is it the eq of the amp or eq of the smartphone or both (if the headphone bypasses or uses the eq of the ampli then the eq of the phone will be useless)im confused.. thanks and more power. sorry for the many questions and the inconvenience, i just want to be sure on my purchase and will not make a mistake on which portable amplifier im going to pair with my hd 419…

May 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #14,653 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all,

My sister wants me to recommend a pair of headphones for her. Help me out!

Somethings you might want to know:

Purpose and set up
--------------------
    * They are for blocking out surrounding noise during work
    * Source: laptop or MP3 player

Sound preference
--------------------
    * For safety lets assume neutral

Genres
--------------------
    * Lets go with Indy rock? Otherwise pretty diverse.

Budget
--------------------
    * Around $100-200

Current favourite
--------------------
    * Sennheiser HD448

I was thinking circum-aural for comfort and reasonable isolation. Closed so that she doesn't annoy her colleagues. The Senn's are also apparently okay with non-amplified sources.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

Shure SRH 840, KRK KNS-6400, Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone, Brainwavz HM5.

May 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #14,654 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm back! Got that head-fi fever... Anyways, I would like some input on a CD player setup.

Things I need:
CD player
Tube amp - I'll probably be using this with other setups as well.
DAC (possibly) <-- would like to hear if they really actually make a difference to justify the money. I have no way of auditioning much of anything.

I'm currently listening to Cd's through a sony home theater receiver that has a 5 CD disk changer. Cans are some Grado 325is'.(would be nice if the headphone input on the amp had a 1/4 inch jack, but I'm flexible). And that's it. The Grado's make it sound great, but I know with real gear it will all sound so much better. So any ideas? Thanks in advance.

May 10, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #14,655 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm back! Got that head-fi fever... Anyways, I would like some input on a CD player setup.

Things I need:
CD player
Tube amp - I'll probably be using this with other setups as well.
DAC (possibly) <-- would like to hear if they really actually make a difference to justify the money. I have no way of auditioning much of anything.

I'm currently listening to Cd's through a sony home theater receiver that has a 5 CD disk changer. Cans are some Grado 325is'.(would be nice if the headphone input on the amp had a 1/4 inch jack, but I'm flexible). And that's it. The Grado's make it sound great, but I know with real gear it will all sound so much better. So any ideas? Thanks in advance.

This a headphone recommendation thread. You'll be better off posting the dedicated threads for each of those items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back