++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #14,626 of 29,490
Quote:
Ok, I just want to get something straight. Does an amp simply make the music louder and DACs improve SQ? Or do they both aim for better sound quality?
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

They both improve sound. The amp gives the headphone driver the power to work properly, and the DAC convert the music much more accurately than your average sound card. It's well worth the investment.

So, if I'm about to plunge into audiophile territory, should I get an external dac or an external amp? Thanks!

May 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #14,627 of 29,490
Hey guys.  My father in law has been egging me to recommend a pair of headphones for him.  He listens to classic 50's and 60's rock'n'roll,  folk, classical, opera and Broadway tunes.  Money is not really an object, but I don't want him to fork out ridiculous amounts of cash when his hearing is not tip top; he's 68 and an ex-navy pilot (A4's off the USS Forrestal).  He does want  his sound full and lush.  I was looking at the AKG Q701's but I defer to the collective on this.

May 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #14,628 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys.  My father in law has been egging me to recommend a pair of headphones for him.  He listens to classic 50's and 60's rock'n'roll,  folk, classical, opera and Broadway tunes.  Money is not really an object, but I don't want him to fork out ridiculous amounts of cash when his hearing is not tip top; he's 68 and an ex-navy pilot (A4's off the USS Forrestal).  He does want  his sound full and lush.  I was looking at the AKG Q701's but I defer to the collective on this.

Might help to know what source(s) he is plugging the headphones into.

May 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #14,629 of 29,490
Quote:
So, if I'm about to plunge into audiophile territory, should I get an external dac or an external amp? Thanks!

You can get both in one.  But whether you need one, both or none depends on your current equipment and what you want to pair with it.

May 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #14,630 of 29,490
Quote:

PurpleAngel asks the correct question.  Beyond that the Q 701 is a good can for his listening preferences, although from your description, I would peg him as a Senn guy.  He may need some forgiving headphones (the AKG is not) when listening to some of the rock that was recorded in the 50's and 60's.

May 9, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #14,631 of 29,490
Hello, new here and looking for some advice! 

If you guys were limited to Amazon and Newegg with Prime/Free Shipper Savings & Shoprunner 2 day shipping as I live in Hawaii, which headphone would you guys recommend for a budget under $200 for my desktop (though a lil over can be considered if it's worth it)? I will probably be using it mainly for music, gaming is not to huge a concern as I mainly only play MMOs, and movies ever so occasionally. After considerable research I am leaning towards the Audio Technica ATH-A700 for $127 on Amazon and the Ultrasone Pro 550 for $145, but the threads that I found were somewhat old and would like some input. I would enjoy having access to decent bass and the songs I listen to mostly are J-pop/J-rock, Eurobeat, Trance, Techno, and some dubstep. Also I would prefer a closed with some noise reducing as I'd be up late using these. Preferably round the ear too as unfortunately my ears stick out alot and it's painful for long sessions with my ears pressed down.

Also on a side note, any recommendations on a sound card to go with the headphones? I'm currently debating between the Xonar DX or the STX.

I'm pretty new to the whole audio thing, as just less then a week ago, I believed Astro A40s, Razer Tiamats, and Turtle Beach was the best, and after finding out the premium I was paying on headsets over headphones I have been doing lots of research on a new headphone as my current headset had broke.  Thanks again for any advice.

May 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #14,632 of 29,490
Quote:

If you guys were limited to Amazon and Newegg with Prime/Free Shipper Savings & Shoprunner 2 day shipping as I live in Hawaii, which headphone would you guys recommend for a budget under $200 for my desktop (though a lil over can be considered if it's worth it)? I will probably be using it mainly for music, gaming is not to huge a concern as I mainly only play MMOs, and movies ever so occasionally. After considerable research I am leaning towards the Audio Technica ATH-A700 for $127 on Amazon and the Ultrasone Pro 550 for $145, but the threads that I found were somewhat old and would like some input. I would enjoy having access to decent bass and the songs I listen to mostly are J-pop/J-rock, Eurobeat, Trance, Techno, and some dubstep. Also I would prefer a closed with some noise reducing as I'd be up late using these. Preferably round the ear too as unfortunately my ears stick out alot and it's painful for long sessions with my ears pressed down.

Also on a side note, any recommendations on a sound card to go with the headphones? I'm currently debating between the Xonar DX or the STX.

I'm pretty new to the whole audio thing, as just less then a week ago, I believed Astro A40s, Razer Tiamats, and Turtle Beach was the best, and after finding out the premium I was paying on headsets over headphones I have been doing lots of research on a new headphone as my current headset had broke.  Thanks again for any advice.

The A700 is not going to give you the bass that you want.

May 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #14,634 of 29,490
Quote:

I'll say you need the Shure srh840. Some people say it's almost too flat, but I think that's not true at all. I think it sounds great, and has a pretty good size soundstage for your movies and gaming.

May 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #14,636 of 29,490
@ purpleangel Quite right... Sorry.   Anyway, he's listening to a lot of classic vinyl on a turntable through an old JVC AK10 amp and running ripped CD's on Windows media player @320kbps.  I have pointed him to the fact that higher quality audio is out there and he was excited... and a little drunk too.

May 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #14,637 of 29,490
@FlobHobNob - Thanks for input, how do these compare in terms of price to quality with other headphones?  I just recently found the head-fi buyers guide and saw some of the recommendations (I was looking at the OCN buyers guide prior).  
 Shure srh840 - $158
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - $150
V -MODA Crossfade M-80 - $180
 Ultrasone HFI-580 - $130

These 4 seem to be the ones that I see the most.  I did consider the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80, but currently there is no free shipping on amazon nor can they be found on newegg.  There is one dealer on Ebay for $185 new, but I'm not sure how warranty works from a non authorized seller.

May 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #14,638 of 29,490
Quote:
@FlobHobNob - Thanks for input, how do these compare in terms of price to quality with other headphones?  I just recently found the head-fi buyers guide and saw some of the recommendations (I was looking at the OCN buyers guide prior).  
 Shure srh840 - $158
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - $150
V -MODA Crossfade M-80 - $180
 Ultrasone HFI-580 - $130

These 4 seem to be the ones that I see the most.  I did consider the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80, but currently there is no free shipping on amazon nor can they be found on newegg.  There is one dealer on Ebay for $185 new, but I'm not sure how warranty works from a non authorized seller.

The Shure is fairly neutral--good with all frequencies.

V-Moda has weak highs, but is a pretty decent can.

AT has a "V" shaped EQ and is best for basshead-lites.

The Ultrasone is a pure basshead can.

May 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #14,639 of 29,490
@Rerona I will start off by comparing them to the m50's. The m50's have more of a v shaped curve to them, while the srh840's have a flatter response. This means that the 840's will be able to sound good for all genres, and the m50's will sound great for few and bad for others. Now, the v moda m80 is also a great sounding can but, it could be lacking the soundstage if you want to use them for movies or gaming, but if you're listening to music you can't go wrong with the m80's. Compared to the ultrasone hfi 580's it's sort of the same thing that's happening when you compare them to the m50's. The ultrasone sound great for dubstep, rap/hip hop and stuff that requires a lot of bass. I honestly would stay away from the ultrasones. So, I think that the m80's or the srh 840's would definitely suffice, possibly even the m50s. Also don't get the beyer dynamic unless you have a good amp.

May 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #14,640 of 29,490
@KG Jag - Thanks!  

@FlobHobNob - Thanks again, you answered the questions I had when I was typing them xD.  Though for comfort, are each of these headsets comfortable enough for long sessions?  And lastly how does the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 compare to these?  I was considering getting the Asus Essence STX as it has a built in amp if I required one otherwise I was going to go with the Xonar DX and a Fiio9 later when I required one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back