++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 7, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #14,581 of 29,490
Sub-$200 headphones for someone who listens to classical, pop, and skrillex. What does head-fi reccomend for someone like me? (I am willing to go up to 250). 

Am going to use these also for gaming, not FPS so I doubt it matters that much. (Basically Home Use). And would prefer over-ear cans...

I do not really care whether its open or closed, no preference. 

May 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #14,582 of 29,490
Quote:
Sub-$200 headphones for someone who listens to classical, pop, and skrillex. What does head-fi reccomend for someone like me? (I am willing to go up to 250). 

Am going to use these also for gaming, not FPS so I doubt it matters that much. (Basically Home Use). And would prefer over-ear cans...

I think I'm gonna reccomend you the audio technica ad900s as well. They have good bass esencial for pop and skrillex, while mantaning a good open soundstage for classical.

May 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #14,583 of 29,490
Yes, I have read people saying that Q701s are slightly better than K702s in terms of being warm, but I am not sure how do they fare in general. Also would fiio-e17 be a good enough driver for them?

May 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #14,584 of 29,490
HI, even though im a bass fan, im getting Sennheiser hd 449 and audio technica ath ad500 at a resonable price. im really confused on which one to buy since they both boast a great  open sound stage with good highs and mids. so which one wold you reccomend and why??

May 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #14,586 of 29,490
Quote:
However many reviews state that the comfort on the Audio Technica AD900s is really bad. I wear glasses, plus i'd like to use it for gaming, so comfort is a big thing/ being able to wear it for a long time. 

If you want comfort, the Sennheiser HD 555/595/558/598 are the best I've ever worn. They are also well regarded for gaming as they are all open and have a very nice soundstage. I think that they good for classical music, but pop and Skrillex/dubstep/electro may be a bit less than ideal

May 8, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #14,587 of 29,490
Many folk here like the AKG K 550, but I have not heard them yet.

The Ultrasone Pro 750 are good, but the highs may be too bright for you.

The Shure SRH 940 are also good, but may be a bit bass light for you.

The Denon D5000 are probably out of your price range

Could someone with experience on the AKG K550 comment? Would love to get input

Currently using M50's, looking for something with:

• Neutral Presentation, better soundstage & imaging (Less muddy bass, better mid-range, slightly less harsh highs)
  • Multiple music genres: Trance (No dubstep), Classical, Rock
  • Getting CEntrance DACport soon

Cheers!

May 8, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #14,588 of 29,490
Quote:
Yes, I have read people saying that Q701s are slightly better than K702s in terms of being warm, but I am not sure how do they fare in general. Also would fiio-e17 be a good enough driver for them?

If you want to listen musical detail, the K 702 is your pick.  If you want to listen for the music, the the Q 701 is the best choice.

May 8, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #14,589 of 29,490
Quote:

AKG Q 701, Ultrasone Pro 750 or Beyer DT 880 Pro at or near the top of your budget.

For a bit less, Beyer DT 770 Pro, KRK KNS 8400 or Shure SRH 840.

May 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #14,590 of 29,490
Hey guys, I'm back! Got that head-fi fever... Anyways, I would like some input on a CD player setup. 

Things I need:

CD player
Tube amp - I'll probably be using this with other setups as well.
DAC (possibly) <-- would like to hear if they really actually make a difference to justify the money. I have no way of auditioning much of anything.

I'm currently listening to Cd's through a sony home theater receiver that has a 5 CD disk changer. Cans are some Grado 325is'.(would be nice if the headphone input on the amp had a 1/4 inch jack, but I'm flexible). And that's it. The Grado's make it sound great, but I know with real gear it will all sound so much better. So any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

May 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #14,591 of 29,490
Quote:
However many reviews state that the comfort on the Audio Technica AD900s is really bad. I wear glasses, plus i'd like to use it for gaming, so comfort is a big thing/ being able to wear it for a long time. 

Ok, if comefort is an issue, you could always get they beyerdynamic dt770 80 ohm and pick up a fiio e11. It has an excellant soundstage for a closed can, and the bass on these things will make your hair stand on your neck when listening to skrillex.

May 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #14,592 of 29,490
Hi everyone! It's my first post here and I am rather new to the scene. Last year I was doing some research into headphones because I was really tired of crappy in-ear headphones and my laptop speakers so I stumbled across this place and bought Ultrasone HFI-580. I love them, however recently I read about ASIO and installed the foobar plug-in and asio4all driver and I was litterally amazed at how much of a difference in sound quality I recieved out of my on-board realtek ALC272. Sooo, like most people here I couldn't get enough and wanted even more and decided it's time to upgrade. Since my source is a crappy on-board alc272 I was considering a new sound card (external since source is laptop) or a DAC as a first upgrade. I figured it's pointless to go for better headphones to run out of this source. What I'm looking for is something that would provide me with a current upgrade and potentially serve me in the future when it's time to get new headphones and an amp to drive the potenetially better headphone. Would you say that the hfi-580 coupled with Musiland Monitor 02 US will give me a noticable difference in the sound quality over my on-board and would the MM02US serve me good for lets say Ultrasone Pro900 or HD650 (I am considering one of these two as a future upgrade + an amp). Sorry for the long post.

May 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #14,594 of 29,490
So I got the Shure SRH940 a week ago and am apparently part of the crowd that cannot stand the headband. I wear them for a little over a hour and the top of my head begins to hurt and I then have to give myself a break. Any recommendations on a replacement that is a closed can with little to no leakage and maybe a bit more portable (Ideally, would like to use them on the commute to/from work if possible)? I listen to a wide variety of music. At work, it will be mostly jazz, country and classical music with the occasional mix in of hip hop. I would like to be able to wear them for 4+ hours with no issues. I have the Ultrasone Pro 750 for home use and enjoy them a lot. I do prefer the sound of the Ultrasone over the Shure. Considering getting a second pair for work but would like to branch out and try something different (which is why I got the Shure's in the first place) since I have only tried the former two cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back