++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 24, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #14,266 of 29,490
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been snooping around for a while. I'm looking to get some new headphones for my HTC Desire HD and for at home on my laptop and PC. My budget is around $60.

I've been given quite a few suggestions for good headphones, but I truly value a clear sound with a really punchy bass. I've had my eye on the Sony XB 500s, but they are not available here, meaning I can't test them before buying online. Any thoughts on those I should keep in mind?

Apart from those I'm leaning towards either Sennheiser HD 408 (which I tested and were decent, but a bit soft on my phone), Audio Technica ATH-T300, and Audio Technica ATH-SJ33. Just like the XB500s, Audio Technica is not available here (in the Netherlands), so I have to rely on the internet for purchasing.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions for an affordable headphone (closed/over ear) that gives a ncie clear and punchy sound.

Cheers!

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #14,267 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone,
i need a quick advice :)
I found a pair of Senn HD595 used and working for about 60$... is that a good deal?
I'd listen to pop, classical and italian cantautori (songwriters), amped at first with my home cinema amplifier (onkyo txnr609) and maybe one day with a dedicated amp
Thanks

Assuming that they are in good condition, they are a good set cans.  Jump on them for that price.

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #14,269 of 29,490
samson sr 850 ( 20 pounds)  or dt 990 pro 250 ohms (130 pounds)? the only 'amp' i have is the onkyo receiver i got with my bose acoustimass 10 set.. ...and i ll be using these for movies mainly ...
and orchestra music ......

Apr 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #14,270 of 29,490
Hi guys,

Advice is needed for headphone choice by music genre.

I look for open full-sized circumaurals for my home system, which is Onkyo CDP -> NAD C326 integrated amp.

I try to pick the phones which will be the best of all suitable for classics: mostly symphony orchestra and some piano solo recordings.

Budget is $250...500.

I own DT990 Pro (250) at present, and while it sounds OK with some disco/hard rock, I can not enjoy classical recordings at all - it is a strong feeling that some musical information is just lost due to headphones'  V-shape FR.

I was searching through reviews and tests of AD900, HD600, HD650, K601, Q701 etc. First of all, big respect to those head-fiers who was so generous sharing their experience and findings.

Though, I don't look for an all-rounder. So, which HP do you consider the best for instrumental/orchestral classical music in this price range?

Thanks.

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #14,273 of 29,490

Quote:
Samson SR850 (20 pounds) or DT990 Pro 250 ohms (130 pounds)? the only 'amp' i have is the Onkyo receiver i got with my Bose acoustimass 10 set.. ...and i ll be using these for movies mainly ...
and orchestra music ......

Start off getting the SR850, then in 8 months buy the DT990 as a holiday gift for yourself.
Thou chances are the Onkyo would drive the DT990.
What model Onkyo is it?

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #14,274 of 29,490
I'm looking to add to my headphone collection in the near future, and am specifically looking to add a truly neutral, analytical pair.

My current collection is limited to only the Vsonic GR07 and Audio Technica AD900, both of which I love and which complement each other very well. Here's what I'm looking for:

-Flat response. I absolutely hate "v-shaped" frequency response, or any amount of elevated bass. The AD900s are the limit on the amount of treble elevation that I will tolerate, and the GR07 the limit on the bass quantity.
-Good separation. A huge soundstage isn't necessary, but I can't stand congested sound and I'd like to get a good sense of where the various audio cues are coming from.
-Dry, fast sound with quick attack and decay and very aggressive texturing and detail retrieval. I'm not at all worried about listening fatigue. I don't want a textureless, liquid sound. Even the GR07s are almost too liquid for my tastes (but I still love them).
-Also, my only output device at the moment is a portable player, so keep that in mind.
-I don't have a lot of expendable cash right now, so cheaper is better.

I'm already anticipating that the responses are going to be overwhelmingly in favor of the ER4, which is what I'm planning on getting. I just want to see if there is anything else that might better suit my tastes.

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #14,275 of 29,490
Hi everyone. I've been a lurker here for many years, and a first time poster now. I'm looking for help choosing my next pair of headphones.

I've had a pair of Shure E3c's for about 8 years now. I got them my Freshman year of college, and at the time I wanted something highly portable and I liked the in-ear design over the - what was hip at the time - white ear bud. I love them, but my circumstances have changed over the years. I have worked in an office setting for about two years now, and it's time for me to move on to something better. Portability is less of a concern this time around.

Here's my general criteria:
  1. Price: Up to $250. I'd like to spend less, but if the perfect set for me is around $250 I'll go for it.
  2. Setting: I work in an office. It's not dead quiet - lots of conference calls, general chatter, etc.
  3. Source: In the office I listen to music on my Android phone. To my knowledge, there isn't an amp that works on Android phones yet (please correct me if I'm wrong). I will listen some on my computer, too, where I can use an amp, but I don't want to go overboard on something when my main source is my phone.
  4. Type: I'd love to have an open set, but the sound bleeding is a bit worrisome. Some bleeding would be okay, and I usually don't play music super loud anyways (though maybe because I have in-ears), but I can't have them be overly disturbing to others in the office. Closed is okay, but opens are preferred so long as they are known to not bleed too badly (if that's possible).
  5. Music: I listen to indie rock, alternative, singer-songwriter accousticy stuff, folk. I listen to some other stuff, too, but that's my wheelhouse and what I'm focused on.
  6. Also: My parents blessed me with kinda a big head
    smile.gif

I would greatly appreciate some help on this. I'm a little overwhelmed because I have a really tough time making decisions.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #14,276 of 29,490
Hi guys, my friend wants an opinion about a new set of cans, his budget is $350 and he wants noise cancelling and cans that won't leak out. He dorms so it'll be nice if it's portable and he listens to hip hop and pop and pretty much everything else. Lots of bass would be nice too. He kinda wants the Denon NC800's but idk much about it. Anyone want suggestions?

Basically the best bang for his buck rn.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #14,278 of 29,490

Quote:

Thank you very much, KG Jag.

Have you owned or compared these two?

Because in my area HD 650 is 20% cheaper than Q701.

Then, is suppose from your reply, HD650 is absolutely the best?

I own the HD 600 (similar to the later released 650) and the Q 701.  I have listened to the 650 for a limited time.

Between the HD 650 & HD 600, the 600 is the more neutral of the two.  The 650 is considered the more musical.  You can find a number of threads and articles here and elsewhere comparing the two.  You can't go far wrong with either.

In the U.S. the Q 701 currently goes for half the price of the HD 650.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #14,280 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking to add to my headphone collection in the near future, and am specifically looking to add a truly neutral, analytical pair.

My current collection is limited to only the Vsonic GR07 and Audio Technica AD900, both of which I love and which complement each other very well. Here's what I'm looking for:

-Flat response. I absolutely hate "v-shaped" frequency response, or any amount of elevated bass. The AD900s are the limit on the amount of treble elevation that I will tolerate, and the GR07 the limit on the bass quantity.
-Good separation. A huge soundstage isn't necessary, but I can't stand congested sound and I'd like to get a good sense of where the various audio cues are coming from.
-Dry, fast sound with quick attack and decay and very aggressive texturing and detail retrieval. I'm not at all worried about listening fatigue. I don't want a textureless, liquid sound. Even the GR07s are almost too liquid for my tastes (but I still love them).
-Also, my only output device at the moment is a portable player, so keep that in mind.
-I don't have a lot of expendable cash right now, so cheaper is better.

I'm already anticipating that the responses are going to be overwhelmingly in favor of the ER4, which is what I'm planning on getting. I just want to see if there is anything else that might better suit my tastes.

What are your location and price range?  Above a certain price level you are likely to be limited driving cans with an unamped portable. 

You may also be limited by your music source files.  What format are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back