++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #14,252 of 29,490
Apr 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #14,253 of 29,490
Hello Guys, I already posted my question here, http://www.head-fi.org/t/606980/good-closed-around-ear-headphones-lightweight-and-less-clamping-force, but realized this question must've been asked multiple times within the forum. So, I'm reposting it here hoping some good soul here can advise me on what to buy. I'm new to Head-fi and one of my friends recommended this place. As I said previously, it'll be great if you can recommend some good headphones. To break it down:

Purpose: Listen to music IN the library. So, closed cans and less leakage are must. 

Source: laptop/iPod - Normal iTunes/MP3 format. (Sorry, I'm not an audiophile). I mostly listen to Classical/Pop/Rock/Electronica. And the occasional metal. 

Order of Preference:
1. Closed and 1. Comfort (read LEAST clamping force) and 1. Lightweight
2. Around-Ear design
3. Sound

I'm not an audiophile and am graduating from a 26$ creative In-Ear headphones and was fairly satisfied with them until I lost them recently. I am just beginning to understand the rich texture of music and hopefully whatever you suggest would help me enjoy my music even more. I tried the Audio Technicha AT-MH35 and Sennheiser HD 428 and Bose AE2 recently. I had a headache after an hour of the Audio Technichas and the Senn leaked too much sound. The AE2 were perfect in every way except the sound (and the price for that sound !). The best would be something that comes close to "BOSE AE2 (for comfort) with the Audio Technicha's sound". 

Budget: Upto $150-$175. But the lower the better obviously. 

Thanks guys for your advice in advance !

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #14,254 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Guys, I already posted my question here, http://www.head-fi.org/t/606980/good-closed-around-ear-headphones-lightweight-and-less-clamping-force, but realized this question must've been asked multiple times within the forum. So, I'm reposting it here hoping some good soul here can advise me on what to buy. I'm new to Head-fi and one of my friends recommended this place. As I said previously, it'll be great if you can recommend some good headphones. To break it down:

Purpose: Listen to music IN the library. So, closed cans and less leakage are must. 

Source: laptop/iPod - Normal iTunes/MP3 format. (Sorry, I'm not an audiophile). I mostly listen to Classical/Pop/Rock/Electronica. And the occasional metal. 

Order of Preference:
1. Closed and 1. Comfort (read LEAST clamping force) and 1. Lightweight
2. Around-Ear design
3. Sound

I'm not an audiophile and am graduating from a 26$ creative In-Ear headphones and was fairly satisfied with them until I lost them recently. I am just beginning to understand the rich texture of music and hopefully whatever you suggest would help me enjoy my music even more. I tried the Audio Technicha AT-MH35 and Sennheiser HD 428 and Bose AE2 recently. I had a headache after an hour of the Audio Technichas and the Senn leaked too much sound. The AE2 were perfect in every way except the sound (and the price for that sound !). The best would be something that comes close to "BOSE AE2 (for comfort) with the Audio Technicha's sound". 

Budget: Upto $150-$175. But the lower the better obviously. 

Thanks guys for your advice in advance !

I haven't heard them but maybe check out this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/559542/i-truly-believe-these-are-one-of-the-best-classical-music-headphones-ive-ever-heard.

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #14,255 of 29,490
I'll try posting in this thread first, and if this turns out to be the wrong place then I re-post in the portable sub forum.

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones to use while traveling, I currently use my German Maestro GMP 8.35D's and while they sound great (awesome really!) they don't block out a lot of noise.
This has been a issue for a while now, but I didn't really bother searching because I didn't want to buy yet another headphone (would be the 3rd pair in 1½ years time). But my birthday is coming up so that is the main drive for searching one now.

I would like the follow features:

- Around the ear (This is very important to me, but I get in to detail a bit later on.)
- Active noise canceling
- Passive noise isolation
- Bluetooth
- And if they are wireless then they must have a optional attachable cable
- Control on the headphones
- Battery life of at least 6 hours while have noise canceling activated, would prefer also having this with Bluetooth enabled (more is greatly appreciated here)
- Decent sound quality (About Sennheiser HD 555 level)

I don't have a strict budget, and I wouldn't like to set one to strictly either because prices differ so much between Europe and America (I live in The Netherlands - importing is not an option). But I would like around 100-200 euro's, but I'm willing to deviate from that if it gives me much more superior experience.
Whilst I was looking for headphones the previous time (when I ended up buying the GMP 8.35D) I was very interested and intrigued by the Sennheiser MM 550.
They were my favorite headphones all the way up until now (currently I don't have any favorite headphones), and a friend of mine (Bosaapje on this forum) told me that he could get the Sennheiser PXC 360 BT for 175€ (I don't have much interest for the calling features on the MM 550).
This seems like a pretty sweet deal to me, and he bought them. I had a chance to listen to them today and they sounded great (and I give them a listen again tomorrow), but they had a few points which I disliked.
The bass dropped immensely upon activating the Noisegard feature, and I would've liked if they were a bit bigger.
Both of these points aren't big issues for me, but they are still worth pointing out.
While the active noise canceling did block out a lot of noise, I must admit that less noise is always better for me.
Another thing I noticed when I was reading the manual is that the noise canceling only goes up to 1kHz (?).

Even considering all of this, I still think that they are amazing. But I still want to know what my options are before buying anything this expensive.
So while I was searching I came across a few headphones that I thought could be potential rivals to this one:

- Bose Quiet Comfort 15, but they are 350€ and they are wired.
- Parrot Zik, these are features packed with everything I could ever want, but there is still so little known about these and I don't know if they will be worth the money and waiting in the long run.
- Klipsch M40, there are mixed reports about the noise canceling abilities of these, I can't find a shop who sells these over here and again, they are wired.

Then there's also IEM's, but I would like to stay away from these. I know that they give superior isolation and that they block even more noise if they have active noise canceling. But I have a pair of Sennheisers CX 400-II and they hurt my ears after just a little while (15 or so minutes).
This makes me want to stay away from them, especially considering the price point I'm looking at right now. And then there's also the issue of them breaking more easily, and yet again... wires.
I would prefer if they are around the ear instead of on the ear, I really enjoy the amount of comfort I get from around the ear headphones as opposed to on the ear headphones.

I hope to have provided enough information with this.

Threads worth noting:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604383/sennheiser-pxc-360-bt-or-sennheiser-mm-550
http://www.head-fi.org/t/572403/looking-for-closed-headphones-in-the-netherlands-budget-is-anywhere-from-80-200-euros

Edit: I forgot to mention what I genre's I listen to, but I listen Electronic (I don't want to label all the electronic genre's)/rock/metal/j-pop/vocaloid/pop/piano and some more which I'm probably forgetting right now.

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #14,256 of 29,490
I currently own some Grado SR80's (non 'i' model) that i've had for somewhere around 8 years I think. They've served me well but I feel like an upgrade is in order and want to buy something that will hopefully last me the same amount of time again. I've got £300 to £500 (~$480 - $800) to spend although i'd prefer to lean towards the lower end of the budget unless there will be significant (at this end of the scale) returns for the extra outlay. I have no issue going second hand.

They will be used for music, tv and movies although it is the performance with music that is most important. I listen to a wide variety that will include acoustic, jazz, hip-hop, dance, rock and more. This means I probably need something with good all-round performance and preferably tight (although not excessive) low frequency performance as I hope that should cover most bases.

My setup is currently PC as source using analogue output to a SOHA (v1). I'm intending to plug a currently unused Behringer DEQ2496 in as a DAC and with the potential for EQ as I know that will offer improvements over the PC's inbuilt DAC. I also intend to carry out some improvements to the SOHA (better tube and opamps being the priority).

I'm leaning towards the RS?i's as I do like the sound of my current cans but i'm far from brand loyal! I did listen to a Stax 4070 (?) setup recenty which sounded amazing (to my ears at least) but this is out of my price range.

Any advice is appreciated.

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #14,257 of 29,490
I think you should try a set of comply tip before you go off spending money on ANC phones.  If not, I still don't think ANC headphones are the way to go for somewhere as quiet as a library, maybe look at a beyer DT 770 or a V-Moda crossfade.  ANC really only come into their element in airplanes IMO.  

Edit: this was in response to n00byn4t3r

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #14,258 of 29,490

Quote:
I currently own some Grado SR80's (non 'i' model) that i've had for somewhere around 8 years I think. They've served me well but I feel like an upgrade is in order and want to buy something that will hopefully last me the same amount of time again. I've got £300 to £500 (~$480 - $800) to spend although i'd prefer to lean towards the lower end of the budget unless there will be significant (at this end of the scale) returns for the extra outlay. I have no issue going second hand.

They will be used for music, tv and movies although it is the performance with music that is most important. I listen to a wide variety that will include acoustic, jazz, hip-hop, dance, rock and more. This means I probably need something with good all-round performance and preferably tight (although not excessive) low frequency performance as I hope that should cover most bases.

My setup is currently PC as source using analogue output to a SOHA (v1). I'm intending to plug a currently unused Behringer DEQ2496 in as a DAC and with the potential for EQ as I know that will offer improvements over the PC's inbuilt DAC. I also intend to carry out some improvements to the SOHA (better tube and opamps being the priority).

I'm leaning towards the RS?i's as I do like the sound of my current cans but i'm far from brand loyal! I did listen to a Stax 4070 (?) setup recenty which sounded amazing (to my ears at least) but this is out of my price range.

Any advice is appreciated.

Since you like the Grado house sound, try RS-1i for the expensive option and Alessandro MS-2is for the "budget" option.

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #14,259 of 29,490

Quote:
Since you like the Grado house sound, try RS-1i for the expensive option and Alessandro MS-2is for the "budget" option.

I've only heard the RS1 once but it seems like a tough recommendation for some of his music preferences (dance, hip-hop, etc.). I know he doesn't want a bass monster, but maybe more than the RS-1i... Just my 2 cents from someone who only heard the RS1 once.

Another budget option is the HD598. He could get a sweet amp and the HD650 for that much, too.

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #14,260 of 29,490

Quote:

I've only heard the RS1 once but it seems like a tough recommendation for some of his music preferences (dance, hip-hop, etc.). I know he doesn't want a bass monster, but maybe more than the RS-1i... Just my 2 cents from someone who only heard the RS1 once.

Another budget option is the HD598. He could get a sweet amp and the HD650 for that much, too.

I too have only limited experience with the RS1, but I have the downline 325, which has plenty of bass.  From what I heard and have read of the RS1, it should at least equal the 325 in bass performance.

On the other hand, the HD 598, while not very bass lite to me, is probably quite bass like for younger tastes and genres like rap and hip-hop.

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #14,261 of 29,490
I"m looking for a pair of headphones for workout. IEMs preferred. I was thinking of the monster powerbeats, even though it's probably just another overpriced product of marketing. Any other recommendations for a pair of workout iems?

Apr 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #14,262 of 29,490

Quote:
I"m looking for a pair of headphones for workout. IEMs preferred. I was thinking of the monster powerbeats, even though it's probably just another overpriced product of marketing. Any other recommendations for a pair of workout iems?

You should check out this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

You'll get better results there. 

Also, be more specific. What music do you listen to? What do you play your music from? How much are you willing to spend?

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #14,263 of 29,490
Going back into HPs.. have a choice of LCD R2 + Eximus (no amp) since it has an HPA in it already. Or HD800 + Eximus or Woo2 / W4S.

Course I'm gonna buy the eximus used.. just wanna know what people think since the 800s do benefit from the tubey sound of the woo

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #14,264 of 29,490
Hello everyone,
i need a quick advice :)
I found a pair of Senn HD595 used and working for about 60$... is that a good deal?
I'd listen to pop, classical and italian cantautori (songwriters), amped at first with my home cinema amplifier (onkyo txnr609) and maybe one day with a dedicated amp
Thanks

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #14,265 of 29,490
I think you should try a set of comply tip before you go off spending money on ANC phones.  If not, I still don't think ANC headphones are the way to go for somewhere as quiet as a library, maybe look at a beyer DT 770 or a V-Moda crossfade.  ANC really only come into their element in airplanes IMO.  

Edit: this was in response to n00byn4t3r

I won't be using these in the library, I'll be using them with public transport.
I'll take a look at the tips you linked, but I still don't think that I would want IEM's.

Edit: the shipping is way too much on them, I don't want to pay 11$+ shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back