++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 22, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #14,236 of 29,490

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. Would you pick the former first? Or get whichever one is cheapest?

Anyone else?

I prefer the Shure, but it might not be the best fit for the requirements you mentioned earlier.  The HiFi 780 and Pro 750 are a very good cans but outside of your price range.

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #14,237 of 29,490

Quote:

Haha I weeesh. If photography wasn't digging a hole in my wallet as well, I'd probably go buy all these nice cans T_T. CIEMs are nice but I don't think I'll ever invest in them because of resalability. Just like speakers... I had a pair of JBLs Studio 130s and a receiver and I was lucky enough to find a local buyer but if I sold it online God knows how much I'd spend on shipping. Now, I currently have Audioengine A5's for my computer and I'm not worried of shipping them since I got them for a steal ($175) But I don't know, I mean I understand that there are people out there willing to pay for shipping but neh lol I'm better off shipping headphones and non-custom ones.

But really, who knows lol maybe if I win the lotto.

My friend is an AKG fanboy and he loves his K550's but right now, can't afford and the D5000's wooden cups are so hnggg-worthy. I've never heard them in real life but I bet they're nice.

Oh and btw, I just ordered my Koss DJP100 but the TB one so that I get the free case and stuff. But definitely going to work my way up to a D5000! LCD-2's would be like me getting a Canon 70-200mm IS II... I wish but lulz I highly doubt it.

P.S. YOU'RE FILIPINO??!!

I'm half, Filipino-Chinese but I grew up there and moved here back in like 2006. :)))! Davao represent!

Wishing I could save up for a DSLR myself, but head-fi's my current priority; My dad's going to buy one anyway, so I have the privilege of being able to "borrow" it when he's not using it. To be honest, I'm the one in my family who's obsessed with photography, even though I barely spend anything on it. As if audiophilia wasn't enough of a cash drain T_T

I can see the practicality in avoiding CIEMs, but once you get high up on the upgrade ladder, they pretty much (reportedly) blow other universal IEMs out of the water. There's no competition when compared to a respectable head-fi home kit, but the improved imaging and isolation make up for that. Add the UE18s or the Merlins to my current wishlist of things I'll probably never get :p

I agree that wooden cups are way better looking than a lot of the plastic stuff that's in the market nowadays (Have you seen the ATH-M50 LE, though? Dang, I drooled when I first saw a pair up for sale in MoA). For one thing, when I first saw the LCD-2s in person earlier this year, I literally almost made a total idiot of myself when I asked the shopkeeper if I could audition them, I was stuttering so badly. Okay, that may have been a bit exaggerated, but it was my first run-in with cans at that level >.<

The D5000s are excellent, yeah, and you will end up spending even more money for a great amp/DAC (more likely separate ones) if you get the LCD-2, but imagine how great it will sound. May as well get a Stax SR-009 while you're at it. <-- Wish I could afford one myself 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, born and raised a Pasigueno XD
*checks profile* Ah, dang. I was hoping that I might have found someone I'd be familiar with at a meet, but I guess that was just unlikely. Audiophiles are more common in the Philippines than I thought, but the hobby's still not as widespread as to make meeting one very likely.

P.S.
Good taste in cameras, though I'd settle for an E-600 myself. As I said, photography takes second place to headphones ^_^

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #14,239 of 29,490
I hear a lot of people praising the d5000 for their bass response, but I can't find much discussion of how they handle mids and highs. If anyone could help me out with a quick comparison of these to say, the shure srh940, sennheiser hd650, or any of the upper-end ultrasones (pro 900, 2500, 2900, none of which I've heard), it would be greatly appreciated. I'm also considering a hifiman he500 but I've heard the comfort is an issue.

I really want a headphone with particularly solid mid-range frequencies, along with good lows and highs. Of the headphones I listed, the only ones I have now are the Shure srh-940. I have the beyerdynamic dt-880 as well and find the midrange to be too recessed. Thanks

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #14,241 of 29,490

Quote:
I hear a lot of people praising the d5000 for their bass response, but I can't find much discussion of how they handle mids and highs. If anyone could help me out with a quick comparison of these to say, the shure srh940, sennheiser hd650, or any of the upper-end ultrasones (pro 900, 2500, 2900, none of which I've heard), it would be greatly appreciated. I'm also considering a hifiman he500 but I've heard the comfort is an issue.

I really want a headphone with particularly solid mid-range frequencies, along with good lows and highs. Of the headphones I listed, the only ones I have now are the Shure srh-940. I have the beyerdynamic dt-880 as well and find the midrange to be too recessed. Thanks

See:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/luscious-denon-ah-d2000-ah-d50000-and-ah-d7000

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #14,242 of 29,490

Quote:

What sort of price bracket should I be looking at? 

The Ultrasone PRO 750 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones go for as low as $225 shipped at Amazon.  That should be your target for the qualities you say you want in your next can.

If you are willing to make compromises, go with the 840 for about $70 less.

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #14,243 of 29,490

Quote:

Mids are slightly withdrawn in comparison to lows and highs, but they've become even less withdrawn since the revision.  TBH though others could give you a better picture I bet. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #14,244 of 29,490
My brother is looking for a pair of closed cans. His price point is in the $200-250 range. He wants bass and a decent looking can. I had told him to check out the V-MODA line, are there any other decent cans for this price point?

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #14,245 of 29,490

Quote:
My brother is looking for a pair of closed cans. His price point is in the $200-250 range. He wants bass and a decent looking can. I had told him to check out the V-MODA line, are there any other decent cans for this price point?

If he wants good bass and not just a bass heavy can, the Ultrasone Pro 750 and Denon D2000 (if not used while on the go) are good choices.

Of course it would be helpful to know through what he plays his music and whatever else (e.g. movies, games) to which he will be listening.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #14,246 of 29,490
The limited edition ath-m50 is pretty sharp looking and quite a bit cheaper. But yeah, the D2000 would be a great option.
Quote:

If he wants good bass and not just a bass heavy can, the Ultrasone Pro 750 and Denon D2000 (if not used while on the go) are good choices.

Of course it would be helpful to know through what he plays his music and whatever else (e.g. movies, games) to which he will be listening.

Apr 23, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #14,248 of 29,490

Quote:

What sort of price bracket should I be looking at? 

The Ultrasone PRO 750 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones go for as low as $225 shipped at Amazon.  That should be your target for the qualities you say you want in your next can.

If you are willing to make compromises, go with the 840 for about $70 less.

Thanks a lot. I think I might save that bit more and go with the 750. Just need to find somewhere to listen to them first!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back