++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 21, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #14,221 of 29,490

Quote:
^ Unfortunately I can't do IEMs because my ear canal is tiny. Even my doctor said it T_T... Also, I tried them but I don't really think I'd pay $150 for them and I guess it's just because of my budget though. I'll see if someone else has an opinion because someone recommended the Fostex T50RP and I have no idea how they are with isolation and soundstage.

*EDIT*

Got my 125i's today and I'm a believer! The bass is a bit shy compared to other headphones that I've heard but that's okay, everything else is awesome. :)

Hmm, what happened to needing isolation and sound stage? Still, congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the Grado fan club :wink:

Apr 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #14,222 of 29,490
^ I'm still looking for one but I think I'm pretty set on the Koss + M50 pads. People are saying that I should sell the HD25's and get the D2000s but they're getting phased out and I'm not really in a rush to get them right now. In the long run I'd like to get the D5000's but really I can't afford it and there MAY be something better in the future so it's all good. The D5000 is so pretty but I have no $$$.

On a side note, still lovin' my grados. :)

Apr 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #14,224 of 29,490
My friend is looking for some fashionable/flashy headphones that have a good sound signature for bassy genres like dubstep, rap and hip hop. 
They need to be portables and have detachable cables. Budget isn't much of a problem, under £500 is the limit.

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #14,227 of 29,490

Quote:
Do the Superlux 668b's have good bass? I'm not a super basshead but I want enough I can hear it clearly.  

The Superlux HD668B have (decent to good) bass.
And they are selling for $50, which is as low as i have ever seen them.

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #14,229 of 29,490

Quote:
^ I'm still looking for one but I think I'm pretty set on the Koss + M50 pads. People are saying that I should sell the HD25's and get the D2000s but they're getting phased out and I'm not really in a rush to get them right now. In the long run I'd like to get the D5000's but really I can't afford it and there MAY be something better in the future so it's all good. The D5000 is so pretty but I have no $$$.

On a side note, still lovin' my grados. :)

Maybe you'll eventually "settle" for the PS1000? :p

Anyway, maybe you'd care for something along the lines of a CIEM? Even with small ear canals (honestly, while mine aren't exaggeratedly small, I've also got some issues with IEMs), custom moulds may do well to resolve that problem. I realize that CIEMs on the whole are (WAY) out of your budget, but I'm just making a small recommendation to be looked upon in posterity.

P.S.
The AKG K550 is something I've been meaning to get lately. In spite of it's closed-back design, it has an exceptional (read: awesomely large) sound stage, and though a bit bass-heavy, it's got excellent mids and a mildly shiny treble. The only reason I didn't instantly recommend it was because I've been doing so way too often lately, and I hate getting fixated on stuff :p

The D2000s are really good cans, but upgrading to the D5000 is definitely worth it. I have yet to try the D2k, but I auditioned the D5000s last year, and barring the Audeze LCD-2s, they were the best cans I've heard to date. Then again, I'm still new to the hobby, so there are a lot of cans I've yet to try.

Cheers!

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #14,230 of 29,490

Quote:

Consider the Ultrasone HFI-680 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones.  The Shure SRH 840 are also good, but I'm sure that they'll give you the sound stage that you're looking for.  That's probably the hardest thing to find in a closed can that falls within your price range.

Thanks for the suggestions. Would you pick the former first? Or get whichever one is cheapest?

Anyone else?

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #14,231 of 29,490

Quote:

The Superlux HD668B have (decent to good) bass.
And they are selling for $50, which is as low as i have ever seen them.

Tried those on loan from a friend, and am actually looking for cans that have better bass than that (sorry, I'm not much of a basshead, so I don't have many cans to refer to when comparing bass quantity/quality). Any recommendations? Looking for something with a V-shaped freq. response, but nothing too exaggerated. Grados are sorta hard to come by in the Philippines, and shipping is a bit of a pain. 

Budget is around 12k PHP (roughly... 250 USD?)

Isolation and portability are musts (looking for cans to take out of the house)

Favorite bands include Pink Floyd (mostly during the Gilmour era, though I also like Syd's compositions), Led Zeppelin, Florence + The Machine, R.E.M., Nirvana, MCR, etc. 

I'm also looking for something that does female vocals well. Think along the lines of Diana Krall, Jackie Evancho, and Maria Callas. 

Thanks!

P.S.
If it's any help, I also own the K242 HD, but find their treble to be a bit lacking. I love the mids, though I think the overall presentation is a bit... muffled?

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #14,232 of 29,490
I feel the need for an upgrade to my music listening experience. I normally listen to madonna, dance music (think eric prydz  or fatboy slim), rap, electronica. However I also like the occasional Bonobo session. Looking for a can to improve on everything I liked in my HD428, bass isn't as important. I want really good mids/highs, short punchy bass that sits in back, and a feeling of being there. I've looked into the HFI-780, ATH M50, Fostex T50RP, grado 60i, 80i, sennheiser is not exactly the direction I want to head simply because I want them to be either easily driven (read: 60ohms or less), I don't mind open cans because I really don't listen to them in public anyway. Prefer a cord ~6 feet long, not coiled, 3.5mm jack. 
So here's what I need:
6 foot long cord
3.5mm jack preferred
80 ohms or less
good mids and highs, but still WARM.
short, punchy, welcoming bass, that doesn't muddy the highs/mids
somewhat existent soundstage, better or equivalent to a hd428.
under $200, preferably under $150
comfortable for hours on end.
 Still open to advice, I just don't feel like the m50 or the next sennheiser is suitable for me, as I've heard the bass is overpowering in the M50, and the sennheiser is kinda out of my price range. The 780 I've heard has good highs/mids, but I want some more opinions. The T50 has been a FotM, and I've heard it's a good all around, but I don't have a 1/4" jack to put it into, otherwise I'd buy it. The grados have always seemed to be a "can't go wrong" choice among headfiers who like mids/highs, but I don't like upfront music without soundstage and "screechy highs". 
So should I buy the 780's and take a chance??Buy grados? or buy the t50's and spend the money to recable them to 3.5mm?  Please help. :frowning2:    
THANKS! :) 

Open or closed doesn't matter to me, but I want something with the best of both worlds.

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #14,233 of 29,490

Quote:

Maybe you'll eventually "settle" for the PS1000? :p

Anyway, maybe you'd care for something along the lines of a CIEM? Even with small ear canals (honestly, while mine aren't exaggeratedly small, I've also got some issues with IEMs), custom moulds may do well to resolve that problem. I realize that CIEMs on the whole are (WAY) out of your budget, but I'm just making a small recommendation to be looked upon in posterity.

P.S.
The AKG K550 is something I've been meaning to get lately. In spite of it's closed-back design, it has an exceptional (read: awesomely large) sound stage, and though a bit bass-heavy, it's got excellent mids and a mildly shiny treble. The only reason I didn't instantly recommend it was because I've been doing so way too often lately, and I hate getting fixated on stuff :p

The D2000s are really good cans, but upgrading to the D5000 is definitely worth it. I have yet to try the D2k, but I auditioned the D5000s last year, and barring the Audeze LCD-2s, they were the best cans I've heard to date. Then again, I'm still new to the hobby, so there are a lot of cans I've yet to try.

Cheers!

Haha I weeesh. If photography wasn't digging a hole in my wallet as well, I'd probably go buy all these nice cans T_T. CIEMs are nice but I don't think I'll ever invest in them because of resalability. Just like speakers... I had a pair of JBLs Studio 130s and a receiver and I was lucky enough to find a local buyer but if I sold it online God knows how much I'd spend on shipping. Now, I currently have Audioengine A5's for my computer and I'm not worried of shipping them since I got them for a steal ($175) But I don't know, I mean I understand that there are people out there willing to pay for shipping but neh lol I'm better off shipping headphones and non-custom ones.

But really, who knows lol maybe if I win the lotto.

My friend is an AKG fanboy and he loves his K550's but right now, can't afford and the D5000's wooden cups are so hnggg-worthy. I've never heard them in real life but I bet they're nice.

Oh and btw, I just ordered my Koss DJP100 but the TB one so that I get the free case and stuff. But definitely going to work my way up to a D5000! LCD-2's would be like me getting a Canon 70-200mm IS II... I wish but lulz I highly doubt it.

P.S. YOU'RE FILIPINO??!!

I'm half, Filipino-Chinese but I grew up there and moved here back in like 2006. :)))! Davao represent!

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #14,235 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys, long time lurker, only recently signed up. In the market for new headphones, budget got cut down recently due to a little car trouble so I've had to prioritize the funds. 

Looking at HD650 or the D5000 realistically. EDIT : maybe HE-400 even?

I listen to lots of different genres so I need something that does well enough with most everything. 

Highlights would be vocals / midrange (male and female), I listen to radiohead and porcupine tree as far as rock goes, jazz (mostly mellow and relaxed), female vocalists, bit of hip hop and classical of equal parts(when the mood strikes). It would be in that order most probably, thats not to say it would have to be mainly focused around rock (I've heard enough of radiohead not to mind, as long as the vocal's come out clear).

Alternatively, my budget is around about $500..ish. I'm open to alternatives. 

I come from IEM only background (Shure SE530 + Westone 3's), and I wouldn't mind some real bass. I suppose I'm a bit worried about the HD650 because I've never heard the bass on a set of good opens before, and if it's worse than my IEMS then quite honestly I'm not interested. Both of the IEM's lack any sort of impact, the Westone 3's are probably deep enough, but lack any feeling because the whole "Balanced Armature" thing. That said, i'm not really a bass head, I think I'm just a little starved for some decent impact. If the 650's can give me a bit more feeling than a BA IEM in this department, it's in the cards. 

My thoughts on the D5000 is mainly mid range, vocals etc. Also soundstage compared to HD650's. Again from IEMS, I'd like for the sound not to be in my head anymore. For that I'll just use the IEMS. 

Both strictly for use at home, for musical listening only (will be playing games etc with them as well, but I dont care at all how they do in that regard). I've got an O2 amp already, will be getting the ODAC when its released as well.

Eventually I'm going to get a new set of CIEM's when the funds permit, probably MG6Pro's or UM Merlins, so the HD650's might complement those well in terms of being a different sound signature, maybe, I dont know, just putting it all on the table for any help I can get.

Thanks guys, much appreciated in advance.

bump 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back